Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
confused on roof coating!!!!!

hey gang...ive did a search here, but being a newb to the MH scene, it just confused me more!!!!
i bought a 1995 national sea breeze and i want to recover the roof! im lookin at this dicor elastomeric blah blah coating stuff!!!LOL
there looks to be a white coating on the roof already, but somes not lookin so hot! i wanna make sure i dont start gettin leaks! dont recall what the can said on the site, but somehthing about not recommended for epdm? or tpo roofs?????? i have NO CLUE what that means!!!!!
can someone tell me if that dicor stuff will work before i buy it please!!!??
and is that all ill need is a few gallons of that, or do i need to buy other things before applying it.? i do know i have to scrub the heck out of it ....what about around the seams of the ac's, etc? something diff for that? sorry to go on and on......
todd
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Todd,
I do not know a National coach. However, you may want to look at this in another way. Leaks usually happen at the seams. If the roof looks solid and smooth, consider focusing on the seams. Go to RV Leak Repair Tapes & Sealants | EternaBond and read about the EternaBond product. As long as my TPO roof is solid, I have focus on the seams. I covered every seam on my roof with EternaBond. It is suppose to last 10 + years.

If you do this, by the widest roll you are comfortable with. Lay a chalk line for long runs. You get one chance to lay EternaBond straight. Once it touches the coach, it is there and will not come off.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #3

I coated my old RV's roof with Snow Roof Coating's Elastometric roof coating. Put down their Elastosealprimer (old metal roof with lots of patches of different materials) taped all seams and rolled on two coats of the Snow Roof top coat. That was back in the spring/early summer of 2007. Still looks good and no cracks or leaks. I like it so much that I recommend it to everyone. Also we are converting a school bus. The roof had a couple of leaks (apparently the roof and a tree limb got into a fight and the tree limb won). I scraped off the silicone crap that was globbed on several of the seams (apprently they didn't know what seam was leaking) and taped/primed the roof. That was last summer. This Monday (now that we are back to where the bus is) I will finish priming the roof and start rolling top coat on. The great thing about the snow roof coating is that it reflects the heat and lowers the interior temps dramatically. It reflects sunlight so well that when I did the RV's roof, I got sunburned up to my knees... and I was wearing long pants! David thought it was funny. We even rolled it on the roof of his cargo trailer. Before the coating, you could not touch to interior of the roof and it was too hot to stand inside. After the coating, you could hold your hand on the interior metal and it was only slightly warm. We also rolled the same stuff on the curved wooden roof of our food cart (Elastoseal primer, taped center seam, Snow Roof). It's great stuff. I buy it at Ace Hardware. Very easy to work with and has a 10 yr warranty. It can also be used over EDPM among many other roofing materials.

Product Data PDF
http://www.paintdocs.com/webmsds/webPDF.jsp?SITEID=KST&prodno=016904100012&doctype= PDS〈=E
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:09 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Todd: You might want to get someone to check the roof. If it looks like it has a coating already applied, that may affect what you can apply over that material.
I have applied "Liquid Roof" on a previous motorhome and it worked well. It has a caution about using on "Alpha Products" roofing. Liquid Roof Introduction

Roofs: "Rubber" roofs are common on RV's, 2 types, EDPM and TPO. The TPO is a Thermo-Plastic material. Both are applied as a seamless sheet over the entire roof. Two main manufacturers, Dicor and Alpha. Dicor also makes a roof renew kit for Rubber roofs. Dicor - The Components RVs are Born With
It's easier to apply if you remove as much as possible from the roof.
The Eternabond as Gary posted is excellent and may seal the seams without having to apply the coating. (Coating is a chore- and $$$)
Hope this helps...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #5

Edit: I posted some redundancies Hooligan posted while I was typing.
Hello breeder(Todd), It appears your present EPDM roof covering has out-lasted the 12 year warranty, congratulations! I suggest you investigate using Liquid Roof Coatings | Liquid Rubber Roof | EPDM Coatings - Residential and Commercial Roofing for roof leaks repair
When you read the specs, preparations, and applications pages, you'll see why I pointed you to this product. Unless you are seeing black splotches where the actual black EPDM material is showing you might get by with using the information Gary offered.
Elastomeric roof coatings are not designed for use on EPDM material, as you'll read on that website.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I used the Liquid Roof Product on my 36' Pace Arrow this spring. I used 4 gallon. but bought six. I'm very happy with it. It went on easy in one step, and looks great.
When I did it, I removed and set aside the a/c covers, and used the product up and over all seems.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
... Elastomeric roof coatings are not designed for use on EPDM material, as you'll read on that website.
And yet the Snow Roof Coatings website says that their product IS designed for use on EDPM and many other various types of roofing.
Quote:
From the PDF link I posed above: "When used with Elasto-Seal® Primer, recommended for:
• Aged EPDM & aged Hypalon
• Rolled Roofing
• Aged Asphalt
• Modified Bitumen
• Built-up Roofing
• EPDM Rubber Roof
• Composition Roof
• APP & SBS
Old 06-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
thanks gang! now im more confused!!!! i really dont know anyone that has ever had a motorhome other then my friend wayne...and he doesnt know anything about coatings..his is always inside so hes never had to mess with it.....would a couple pics on here help you guys help me figger it out?
Old 06-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I Took pics of my roof before coating it, need to take some afters, perhaps this weekend, then I'll put up a thread on it.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
so heres a couple pics......the second one looks like it may have had black under it before...so...anyone know what kinna roof coating is on there by the pic????

Old 06-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #11

In looking at your pictures, it does look as though the roof was painted with something. That is not a good thing. The smears around the air conditioners, vents and luggage rail all seem to be some type of paint like substance. If you don't know what it was the only alternative may be to replace the rubber membrane of the roof.

I suggest that before you buy any kind of coating material, visit the website and down-load the instruction sheets and read them. For Dicor, the directions can be found here.

The black may just be normal wear and mold. I would try removing that with a mix of water(2 gal.), Spic-N-Span, and 1/4 cup chlorine bleach using a good stiff brush. Clean it first and then go from there.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:50 AM   #12

Looking at the pictures tells me that the coating is not Liquid Roof or Liquid Rubber. So the coating must be an acrylic or other coating. It seems to be staying put so you just need to find something that will adhere to it. Perhaps another acrylic will work. Clean the existing surface well. A pressure washer used carefully, not getting the nozzle too close to the roof, will work. I think you are on the right track to find a coating and preserve the roof. I coated EPDM roof at ten years of age with Liquid Roof and I am pleased with the results.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #13

It's kinda hard to tell from pictures. So why don't you take it to a local RV place and see if they can climb up and take a look to see what you have on the roof? For mine, I quit counting types of patching material at 3 (there was more buried under some of the patches as well). I just scraped off what was coming up and then primed, taped & topcoated.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
It's kinda hard to tell from pictures. So why don't you take it to a local RV place and see if they can climb up and take a look to see what you have on the roof? For mine, I quit counting types of patching material at 3 (there was more buried under some of the patches as well). I just scraped off what was coming up and then primed, taped & topcoated.

well, for one...i dont have it licensed yet....ive been holding off on that till i get it road ready so i can just get in it, get it licensed and go.....[i have 5 vehicles im paying insurance on already, so the longer i wait, the better!!! also, our local rv place is real good about hosing folks! they would probably tell me its a lost cause and i should leave it there so they can put a brand new roof on it! NOT KIDDING!!!! i bet they wouldnt even tell me what type of coating is on it...theyde just try and screw me outta a few grand....i wish they were a better dealer without all the horror storys! it would sure save me grief and all the pesterin of you folks!!! its not leaking anywhere yet, and weve had TONS OF RAIN...so, im good till i can find someone smarter then me to look at it......thanks for all the tips gang....