Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2021, 07:09 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Conserve paper/plastic waste or water?

Iím having a discussion with a friend on minimizing our ecological footprint and traveling by motor home. Ignoring the fact that large diesel pushers are not ecologically efficient, which is better, conserve waste by using ceramic dishes and on board water for drinking or conserve water by using paper plates and bowls and bottled water for drinking? I like to boondock and I like to cook. My experience has been if I use ceramic plates and bowls it takes substantially more water to wash dishes and my grey tank fills up fast. That requires more frequent dumps. If I use paper plates and bowls and drink bottled water, l can camp for twice as long without dumping but generate more paper/plastic waste. I think there is a trade off in everything but want to hear your opinion!
Aroadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2021, 07:15 AM   #2

I like the "Ignoring the fact large diesel pushers are not ecologically efficient" caveat. When we camp full hook up, we use regular plates and glasses and wash them. When we are on no sewer sites, we do paper. Frankly I don't know which is better from a sustainability point of view. Sort of like using disposable diapers vs a diaper service (do those still exist?).
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:19 AM   #3

Ecologically speaking, you really can't waste water. When you use water all you are doing is temporarily diverting it through your plumbing system instead of the river on its way to the ocean. When people talk about wasting water it is usually a local phenomenon in areas where like deserts where water to divert is scarce.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:24 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Assuming g you dump your waste water in an approved septic facility, you don’t “waste” water. Use the real stuff. The only time we use paper or disposable plastic is when we are hosting a group with more people than we have plates. Besides, the food looks and tastes better on real plates!
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
Ecologically speaking, you really can't waste water. When you use water all you are doing is temporarily diverting it through your plumbing system instead of the river on its way to the ocean. When people talk about wasting water it is usually a local phenomenon in areas where like deserts where water to divert is scarce.
Right! All water in the U.S.A. has been used at least twice. In some third-world countries water has been used at least 10 times.
That is recycling by definition. Nothing man has done improved nature's water recycling, we merely speed-ed up the process.

Those figures were accurate in 1995, likely much higher today.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #6

Paper Products.

One place we camped at had it in their rules to burn paper products in their campfire ring. Probably reduced their garbage fees.
Sam 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:33 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
We use on board water for all things [including drinking]Run the water thru a series of filters [20 micron sacrificial, 5 micron & a .5 micron, followed by a water softener]
Showers are "Navy style" and the motto for the toilet is "If it is Yellow..Let it Mellow" and "If it is Brown.. Flush it on down"..
We use paper plates most of the time, using Corelle china for when having steak or anything that will need a steak knife.
No plastic forks/spoons or knives however..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:02 PM   #8

One does NOT have to FILL the kitchen sink in order to wash dishes

If grey tank capacity is issue.....wash dishes in dish pan set in kitchen sink then dump in toilet
**boondocking

I hate paper/plastic.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:28 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
On the Grey tank issue. Why is it ok if I take a shower using the outside shower and let the water go on the ground, and its not allowed to take an indoor shower and let the Grey water run on the ground.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
On the Grey tank issue. Why is it ok if I take a shower using the outside shower and let the water go on the ground, and its not allowed to take an indoor shower and let the Grey water run on the ground.

Grey waste tank has rotting food particles, rancid cooking grease/oils etc

Therefore MANY states do not allow dumping of Grey waste onto the ground
Several states DO allow it

Outside shower usage....few gallons with soap/shampoo
Grey waste tank..........20,40, 50 gallons ...big stinky mess
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:09 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Yes, we never fill the sink. We use the largest pan as a receptacle and a soupy sponge to wash everything. Then rinse doing the largest last. Amgen you cook every meal the grey water adds up.
Aroadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:56 AM   #12

With a well and septic system there is no water usage, it is recycling at it's best.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:25 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So what happens to the paper plates once you are done with them? If you burn them, aren't you producing air pollution? Or is smoke really used by nature to move nutrients from one place to another? If the paper plates are waxed, you can't realistically compost them or recycle them. So if you don't burn them, they are going to end up in the dump someplace. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Until it is mandated from on high (which really means which companies donate the most to the powers in place at the current time), you still get to decide what is important to you.

Tags
water