Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #1

Considering buying an RV. It appears a TT or 5th wheel is better choice.

Pulling an RV with truck seems the better choice. Aren't you more likely to have more costly problems with a Class A or C? I need different views on this topic. Thanks. No new to pull a car.
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #2

My first questions would be: Do you have an adequate TV? 3/4 ton or 1 ton for either choice, diesel would be best. If so then the maintenance on the TV would be just like that of a MH. The house part for both would be about the same. If you have a MH and want a toad then you either have to adapt your current vehicle or buy one. With a trailer and TV you have a vehicle to travel with. Maintenance wise is about the same on either. I have owned a TT, Class A, and now a Class C and I saw no difference in maintenance on any of them. I'm a little OCD and stay on top of all working items.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
With a motorhome, you will need to tow car to sight see...we just use the truck and only have one drive train to maintain. Motorhome chasis are large and require specialized shops to work on them. My F350, just goes to local Ford shop.

If your chassis has a problem, your whole house goes to the shop.

For full-time, the 5er and truck makes better sense tous.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #4

You have a decision to make.
Go to campgrounds and ask and look and such. You will find what fits YOU.
Pros/cons on both sides.

You can test drive a MH, not so easily done with TT or 5er. How they handle and ride counts.

BTW, with MH and toad you are never stranded or without transportation.
Just my 2c
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

Just my 2c
Agree! 100%
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #6

Oswegolion,
If this is your first attempt at RVing, which I assume it is, then there's lots of reasons for any of them. In a travel trailer or a fifth wheel, there's no drive train, no engine, trans, differential, fluids to change, belts, hoses and much, much more to worry or think about. The floor plans vary so much in all of them, you'd have to check out several to determine just what's important to you, not any of us.

Storage is a huge issue. Depending on how much you travel, full timers or not, storage can be a big problem, if you don't have enough. I really can't speak for fifth wheels in storage but, I've seen some and, to me, it's not enough. But, that's a personal observation. The available amount might be just fine for many. Travel trailers seem to be the most lacking in available storage.

User friendliness is an issue too. Something like driving along and just pulling over and making a sandwich. For motorhomers, it's pretty easy and user friendly. But, fifth wheels and travel trailers, not so easy but, not the end of the world.

Depending on just which Class A one purchases, you can pull up in to a camp spot, or RV park space and just push a button and the rig levels itself and all you have to do is just hook up a hose and electrical.

Driving any of them has its own set of issues. Some are uncomfortable with driving a large square box. A truck pulling a trailer is more at ease to them. That's something you'll have to determine on your own. You say there's no need to pull a car. Well, if you get either a C or an A, it sure makes for nice security if that motor home breaks down and, you have a run-a-round little, way better gas mileage run-a-round car for checking out all the sights and running to the store for groceries.

It's a lot to think about. No doubt about it. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #7

I believe that an v-10 on an F53 chassis or cummins engine on a Frieghtliner or Spartan chassis is just as reliable as an F250 or F350. A comparably equiped 5er will have many of the same amenities as a MH with pretty much the same chances of something failing. Same with a TT. There all going to have refrigerators, air conditioners, furnaces, water pumps, 12 volt and 110 volt systems etc. Many 5ers have slides, slide toppers, washer/dryers and such. So, is there more to go wrong on a class A, well that all depends on what all you get. The more amenities you get the more chances there are of something going wrong.
If you want to reduce your chances of something going wrong you need a stripped out bus, throw a mattress on the floor and carry your water in gallon milk cartons.
Could you do that, of course you could; but do you really want to? Everything has a cost more than the initial outlay. Convenience is no different.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is not our first attempt at RVing. We have had class C's, pop ups, travel trailers, class A's and 5th wheels.. Unlike the above post, we have experience all but class B and can speak from experience sine 1984.

For us and full time use, we decided the 5th wheel was the most liveable and affordable. But you have to decide what fits you. If you have never RVed, visit some dealers and a local campground to talk to owners. Most older RVers are happy to tell you their views and preferences.

With the first timers, whether they realize it or not, they will write a justification of what they bought.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 09-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #9

I think it would depend on the RV experience you are looking for. We like to travel (we don't full time) and like to move from spot to spot. Doing so in a TT or 5vr was too much. We also like to use state and federal parks, and the smaller class C with a jeep as a towd allows this but still give us plenty of room for the tow of us and our two furry friends. We can park and be set up in 5 minutes, and towing the jeep 4 down, allows us to disconnect quickly and easily.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot depends on your use pattern.. For a full timer (ME) moving often (every 1-2 weeks usually, longest time in one spot 3 months) a class A means I can set up and take down quickly,, I have crappy Gas millage when going CG to CG but fantastic Gas Millage (20-30) when running to store or church. And heaven forbid I'm driving in a pouring rain and need to make a "Rest stop" I need not get wet.

I trully enjoy my class A

A trailer, on the other hand, means I get roughly the same millage CG to CG, but, at best half the MPG running to the store and ... I get wet.

On the other hand... I've seen some folks who only travel a couple months or even a couple of trips a year.

If you let a trailer sit and sit (But take care of it otherwise) you gonna need new tires sooner rather than later.

But if you let a MOTOR VEHICLE sit like that..

Bigger tires cost more
Engine
Brakes
And other stuff

may all need replacement. Again SOONER as opposed to later.

Oh, one other advantage to an "A".. It has a generator.. I have been in a couple of RV parks where either
1: Power fail (3 times at least)
2: Power.. not good (Several times) and if you used too much the click of darkness was heard (Tripping breaker)..

Of course you can add one to a trailer too if you wish.

My motor home has been "Modified" (Added wiring) to "Side feed" (NEVER BACK FEED) my house (Side means a proper inlet and generator transfer switch on the back side of the house)

Came in handy a few times There too.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
You have a decision to make.
Go to campgrounds and ask and look and such. You will find what fits YOU.
Pros/cons on both sides.

You can test drive a MH, not so easily done with TT or 5er. How they handle and ride counts.

Just my 2c
Normally I would agree, but that word "never" should not be used in an RV context.

Our friends in a fancy DP, towing a Jeep Commander, are stuck in a motel right now because their coach is in the Cummins shop, and the Jeep had to be towed into a dealer when it quit. They are considering renting a car just to get back home.

To the OP:
I can't disagree with the claims FOR going with a 5th wheel & HD pickup rig, but you should at least consider that your view and ride going down the road will be that of PU truck and not the more "expansive" view and bus-like ride that many Class A motorhomes provide.
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not having owned a 5th wheel but watching and helping others setup it is more effort than a motor home.

We have a Jeep for off-roading so a motor home to tow it is the need.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #13

I have driven 380,000 RV miles since 1977 with one class C and three class A motorhomes. I neither want or need a Coach conversion, Diesel pusher, trailer, 5th wheel, or pickup camper. We like a smaller motorhome that can tow our race car trailer, and are also happy traveling and camping when not towing the trailer. I don't know if costs would be less for a truck and trailer since since a motorhome has always been our choice of RV over the other styles.

But, but, but. The solution to my needs in no way might suit your needs. As others have recommended, talk to other owners. Each variation I listed above has supporters who consider their choice as best. Unless you must use absolute cost to differentiate between RV types, first consider which type will suit your lifestyle then see what cost level you can afford for that type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OswegoLion View Post
Pulling an RV with truck seems the better choice. Aren't you more likely to have more costly problems with a Class A or C? I need different views on this topic. Thanks. No new to pull a car.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The solution is up to the OP. He needs to digest all of the information posted and decide what works for him.

But having run motorhomes and towed cars with brake systems, it is none the less difficult to move into or out of site. The only real difference is in bad weather, you can just pull in an level, if you have levelers and run the generator until the weather lets up.

The generator is an added expense and more maintenance.

Ken

Tags
georgie boy