Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2021, 07:27 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
All three will come with the ISL (L9) 450 Cummins engine and side radiator. The photo of the one side radiator engine above, is not a fair example of the models you're looking at, as it's a larger ISX in an older coach.

All three are good coaches....when we looked the last two times, we narrowed our search down to Newmar and Tiffin, sorry, the Entegra exteriors were too gaudy for our tastes.

Our friends have an Allegro Bus, I've compared features and it's an even trade off... their coach has features I would like and mine has features that theirs doesn't.

Important to us was the side radiator, 450 ISL, Independent Front Suspension (IFS), all tile, hydronic heating, stacked washer and dryer, integrated awnings (facades along the roof line), bath and half, and several less important items that we liked and wanted.

For US, the Newmar coach had a couple of things that sold us over the Allegro Bus. I wanted a tag axle, but wanted to stay at 40' for licensing reasons in California. Newmar is the only brand making a tag in 40'. The other option which we first tried in our 2014 Dutch Star and knew was a must have in our 2019 Dutch Star, was Comfort Drive. It's a patented steering assist system that really makes driving the coach all day....effortless.

So in the end, Newmar won out for us, but both times we bought new and finding what we wanted was easier. Looking for a specific year(s) used coach, both Tiffin and Newmar would have been winners.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2021, 09:58 AM   #16

Dutch Star, what a great explanation of your "shopping" experience and the reasoning behind the similarities and differences of the brands you were looking at, all the while without showing any bias against the Tiffin or Entegra as most would of.

Great post.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:06 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Question on the 40' w/Tag

Dutch Star Don - You mentioned that you selected the Dutch Star as it has a tag, but is 40'. I also live in California and have been concerned about the licensing requirement, but a 2019 DS 4018 is technically 40' 9". Is that an issue on licensing requirements?
Old 04-17-2021, 12:53 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiller377 View Post
Dutch Star Don - You mentioned that you selected the Dutch Star as it has a tag, but is 40'. I also live in California and have been concerned about the licensing requirement, but a 2019 DS 4018 is technically 40' 9". Is that an issue on licensing requirements?
The manufacturer calls it a 40', that's all that's needed. In the DMV rules, safety items don't count in the measurements, or your mirrors would be illegal. Bumpers are considered safety items. They're molded in, but you can deduct them from the length, if you want to accurate.

No one is going to stop me and say my 40' Newmar Dutch Star is 3" or 9" too long. I was a Deputy Sheriff in L.A. County for 34 years. The only reason I knew about the length of RV's, is because I owned one. I never STOPPED or even thought about stopping someone for over length. You'll always get some one who will argue.....what if you get in an accident.....please show me a case where someone lost a lawsuit because they were driving an RV with the wrong class license, especially where the need for the license is arguable.

I've been driving/towing an RV for 49 years and have never been stopped by law enforcement.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote