Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #1

Constant Power - Use

A few more questions for the experienced folks.

I keep my '97 class C Gulfstream plugged into my house power. Have done this for almost a year now. It has been my "disability - retirement" putter project for interior work, painting, and all the bits and pieces (bought it due to excellent mechanical maintenance performed). Other than cosmetics, all systems work. My concern is that during this reconditioning phase I my be allowing something to deteriorate.

Are there any issues with keeping it plugged to shore power? I check the battery monthly (water, charge).

Should I keep the fridge running or turn off?

Other than during monthly run of the generator (1/2 hour) I do not operate the AC. I think that is sufficient for these roof mount - Coleman - units?

Water heater and furnace get a once a month run basically to full heat up.

I move the RV once a month just to change tire position and run the engine.

We plan on significant use of this hopefully fully reconditioned RV in 2012 with cross country trips. Any advice on my "storage" method that may prevent an oops when getting it on the road??

Thanks for your input - I will always have questions!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would recommend putting covers on all tires. Guard everything you can from mother nature, just like us, things just age. Best wishes on your successful use, sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things.
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #3

I would fire up the refer (on gas or elec) for the same reason you're firing up the furnace. It assures you that you're minimizing moisture in areas prone to rusting? I doubt there's any other advantage. Sounds like you have the rest of it down pat. Best of luck on your project!
Old 12-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
paz

It sounds like you are keeping things well exercised during storage. There is no problem keeping the rig plugged in all the time IF you have a 3-stage converter/charger or inverter/charger. The 3-stage charger, if operating properly, should not overcharge the batteries. However, with an older Class C, I suspect you have a single-stage charger which charges the battery(ies) at a constant voltage which could overcharge the battery(ies). If that is the case, driving the rig once a month should keep the batteries charged, so I would consider not leaving it plugged in all the time. If you do leave it plugged in, make sure you keep checking the water level in the batteries at least monthly as you are doing.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If you were fulltime living in it, it would be plugged in and all appliances in continuous use, so why not at home while puttering around?

If you don't have a quality 3-stage charger, be sure to check those batteries regularly for water level, excess heat, etc. Some of those old style chargers can raise cain with a battery if left at it too long.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
If you were fulltime living in it, it would be plugged in and all appliances in continuous use, so why not at home while puttering around?

If you don't have a quality 3-stage charger, be sure to check those batteries regularly for water level, excess heat, etc. Some of those old style chargers can raise cain with a battery if left at it too long.

Now that just makes too much sense - if fulltime living would be plugged in all the time. Point well taken!

Seems I am lucky, do have a 3-stage charger. Another lesson learned. Most appreciated input on this from you and paz.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #7

How do you tell if you have a "3 stage charger" ???? I do seem to have all the manuals on our mh....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My Trace RV2012 Inverter/Converter has 3 stages of charging. Bulk, Absorption and Float, in that order.

The manuals are available on the Internet.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power