Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2020, 08:14 AM   #1

Continuous duty solenoid failures-multiple times

I have a 2011 Fleetwood Class C Model 31M with a White Rodgers 120-10581 continuous duty solenoid to connect the coach and chassis batteries. It is controlled by the BIRD. Solenoid has 100 amp continuous duty contacts. At least twice a year the solenoid fails- not the coil. I have voltmeters to monitor coach and chassis battery charge voltage so I know immediately when they don't match. Today the solenoid failed after I started the generator for my monthly 2 hour run. I keep the rv plugged into house power when home. I know it's not a big deal to not charge the truck batteries when parked at home but I would like the coach batteries charged when driving. When driving the only major amp draw is the fridge so that may not be an issue. I live next to salt water in far south Louisiana and when I cut the failed relay apart I see some green corrosion on the contacts and a little pitting. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a better quality/amperage unit that directly bolts in?
thks
Terry
cobia6620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2020, 08:28 AM   #2

There are 200 and 300 amp solenoids out there, some with silver contacts, that should last longer.

Yours has a different configuration then most, but maybe you can find a higher rated one in that style, or change your set up to fit the more common one.

Here is a link one with a lifetime guarantee. It will work without the BIRD.

https://www.yandina.com/c200Info.htm
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:32 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you find a different brand that fits, let us know, I have to change mine too. Cheap contact material is seems.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:44 AM   #4

...not familiar with your rig but suggest a better quality/high amp solenoid....often wonder if some "bird" devices tend to "over exercise" the solenoid based on charging parameters/protocols????????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #5

I like that unit. It would replace the BIRD and cond duty solenoid. will do more research and see what wiring changes I'd have to make
thks
Old 08-20-2020, 12:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobia6620 View Post
I have a 2011 Fleetwood Class C Model 31M with a White Rodgers 120-10581 continuous duty solenoid to connect the coach and chassis batteries. It is controlled by the BIRD. Solenoid has 100 amp continuous duty contacts. At least twice a year the solenoid fails
Could a previous owner have replaced the Intellitec solenoid with the White Rodgers (maybe to save money)? I've not heard of any BIRD (Intellitec) systems being mated to a non Intellitec (Big Boy) solenoid.

If that is possible, it may also be that the wrong type solenoid was used and you just keep replacing with the same (wrong) part number.

There are two types of Intellitec solenoids. One is controlled by the BIRD it is a "Battery Isolator" the other is a "Battery Disconnect" solenoid. They look almost identical.

Jut wondering if someone mixed up the two types - which might explain the short life span.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Boy Isolator 77-90006-120.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	297961  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobia6620 View Post
I like that unit. It would replace the BIRD and cond duty solenoid. will do more research and see what wiring changes I'd have to make
thks
I installed one on my Class C.

Left the old solenoid in place and made up 2 short jumpers to the new unit.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:54 AM   #8

continuous duty solenoid

The continuous duty solenoid, BIRD, and latching relays are all different manufacturers from Fleetwood. I'll check out the Intellitec unit. Space is an issue-see attached. I made spacers to lift the relay over 2 in for better access. The spacers allow for an easier redesign to a different unit. The white rodgers from Fleetwood cost $47.00 and then I found other identical units online for $16.00. Wonder what the cost of manufacturing is? I'm a retired design engineer and will redesign the circuit if I can find the right components.
After many calls to Fleetwood tech support I discovered no as built electrical dwgs exist for my rv and had to create my own. Just adds to the challenge.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf relay 2.pdf (218.9 KB, 71 views)
Old 08-21-2020, 09:25 AM   #9

might have found one
https://www.elecdirect.com/cole-hers...stud-f-bracket
Old 08-21-2020, 01:44 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This is what I installed

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B007W2...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:12 PM   #11

I have an original White-Rodgers/RBM Type586-105111-3 - Part# 586-902 - google those #s.

Mine is still working fine with my BIRD system. Mine is for a diesel system. I would think that the methodology is the same with a gasser. Compares the voltage of the house bank vs the chassis (starting) bank.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:30 PM   #12
YC1

I would be interested in seeing how it is mounted. Some solenoids can allow condensation intrusion if mounted inverted. The green sure sound like some intrusion. I found one of mine with large amounts of green but living in Calif at the time it could not possibly have been moisture where I lived.

Often you can overhaul the old solenoids and when things are shiny and clean use a good amount of WD40 inside.

In some cases I have used my own silver solder to recover the contacts. This trick works on switches as well.

With the solenoid running 24/7 they get hot enough to burn your fingers. You might consider using a simple jumper across the large terminals and removing the control voltage from the solenoid while stored.

There are plenty of options out there to replace the BIRD system. Check out what Blue Seas has.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:36 PM   #13

If that fails , which I have replaced a few of those in winni sprinter based class c's. Get a blue sea, gets rid of the bird and is guaranteed for life. Bigger than what you require but hassle free
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:20 AM   #14

thks to all for commenting
unit is mounted correctly and I carefully followed White Rodgers installation instructions. Voltage is good and ground goes directly to the coach battery ground. Next month I'll install a Cole Hersee/Little Fuse unit as it is a direct bolt in and see how it works in October as I'll be camping in state parks all of October for our traditional fall trip. Like the idea of the jumper wire idea when in storage and will install a switch to cut the BIRD coil power and connect the battery terminals when in storage.
I agree an upgrade to a better unit is the solution and have calls into Trombetta and Ametek engineers to discuss. Will check out Blue Sea system
love this forum I learn something every day even at age 70
Terry

Tags
solenoid