Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #1

We are having a problem I have not seen any threads for. While plugged into shore power, we noticed the interior lights getting dimmer and dimmer and assumed it was a park power problem not knowing that some items in the rv ran on dc power. The park did put in a new breaker and outlet. We then discovered that it was all 12v items in the rv that were losing power which includes all the lights. The 110v is fine, a/c, fridge and all outlets work. We started the engine and were able to charge and use lights sparingly for 2 hours and repeated that throughout the weekend. My thinking is that the converter is not working and keeping a charge on the house batteries? We are rookies at this and need a little advice. It is a 2006 Winnebago Outlook, E450 engine.
Thanks a bunch for any advice
Connie
cojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #2

We are having a problem I have not seen any threads for. While plugged into shore power, we noticed the interior lights getting dimmer and dimmer and assumed it was a park power problem not knowing that some items in the rv ran on dc power. The park did put in a new breaker and outlet. We then discovered that it was all 12v items in the rv that were losing power which includes all the lights. The 110v is fine, a/c, fridge and all outlets work. We started the engine and were able to charge and use lights sparingly for 2 hours and repeated that throughout the weekend. My thinking is that the converter is not working and keeping a charge on the house batteries? We are rookies at this and need a little advice. It is a 2006 Winnebago Outlook, E450 engine.
Thanks a bunch for any advice
Connie
Old 09-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
If your house batteries are real weak you can have that problem as well. You may need to check the voltage at the battery with a volt meter with the battery cable disconnected. It could be your converter is acting up, but the more likey issue is the battery.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #4

I would agree it seems your batteries are run down low. Check voltage and water level also and go from there. Then give us some more info if you can.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Odds are your converter/charger has failed. Your batteries may also be bad, but if the converter is working it should more than compensate for them while on shore power.

Check the water level in the batteries (unless they are the sealed type) and fill with distilled water as needed. Then after a few hours check the battery voltage - should be in the 13.1-14.0 range if the converter is charging them. If the voltage is still low, you probably need a new converter. Professional help may be in order if you aren't comfortable with electrical things.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I am sure you checked the circuit breakers but also be sure to check all the fuses. It should be at least 1 30 amp fuse. There are built in charging sections in converters and free standing ones too; so the fuses could be in different places. Good luck and let us know what you find and if you are comfortable with diagnosing electrical or not.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:22 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
If the water in your coach batteries is fine and the running of your engine charges the batteries fine then you are definetly having converter problems. Either the fuse or ? If you have a battery charger available you can prove this assumption by charging the batteries with the charger until you can get the converter replaced.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:37 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
cojo,

What is the make and model of your converter?
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #9

Hi, I had a similar problem this summer on my trip to Canada. Found out that as long as I was traveling, my batteries would stay up but would go down as we dry camped. I found that all I needed was 2 30 amp fuses in the converter. After replacing them, our battery floated at 13.7 while hooked up or driving. The converter/inverter is located usually under the stove area. You need to remove the drawers to get to it. Pull the fuses and see if they are blown. This is the fail/safe for the inverter. Good Luck. Al
Al Spivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #10

Thanks for all the responses. I am not sure what the model or make of the converter is, I will check when I go and try some of things you guys have suggested. The rv is not stored here. The converter clearly was not running though, the fan use to turn on from time to time, this time not a peep, no hum no heat, I think it is dead. I am not afraid to try repairs or test so will continue on and let you know. Thanks again.
Connie