Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2023, 07:36 PM   #1

Converting to LED's w/ noisy inverter

Hello all!
I am a long time lurker to the forum, checking in from time to time, learning from a lot of very knowledgeable people and their experiences.

We have a '95 Winnebago Adventurer on the Chevy P30 chassis. We recently decided to update the wall sconces in the living area from incandescent to LED. After hooking the new lights up, they wouldn't work. They would quickly "flash" when the button is pushed, but wouldn't stay on.
I took one out and hooked it directly to a spare deep cycle battery in the garage and it worked fine.
I checked the power at the wires in the RV and read 12.7V. The battery in the garage read 11.7V.
After some head scratching, I decided to unplug the RV from shore power and the lights work fine, leading me to believe our inverter has fairly "dirty" output.
My question is: should I install a small capacitor on the power to each light, or would it be a better idea to install a larger one on the power output right at the converter?
In either case, does anyone have a recommendation for a rating on the capacitors I should use in each application?

Many thanks in advance!
Plummit007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2023, 07:52 PM   #2

It's your battery charger/converter side that's failing or dirty as you call it. Put your voltmeter on ac and get an idea how bad it is.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
It's your battery charger/converter side that's failing or dirty as you call it. Put your voltmeter on ac and get an idea how bad it is.
Thanks for the response! Are you saying I should test for a/c voltage on the 12v lighting circuit?
Old 05-31-2023, 08:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummit007 View Post
Thanks for the response! Are you saying I should test for a/c voltage on the 12v lighting circuit?
Yes, with the charger/inverter on, plugged in charging the batteries. It's commonly called ripple voltage. All converted ac to dc has a little
Old 05-31-2023, 09:01 PM   #5

Good to know! Is there an unacceptable limit to the a/c voltage present in the DC circuits that would determine the inverter/charger needs to be replaced?
Old 05-31-2023, 09:35 PM   #6

New converter/charger would have a smart charging system which is enough reason to upgrade. They are not overly expensive but are much better for the batteries. If you are having problems with the lights then it might upset the fridge as well. Had that issue.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummit007 View Post
Good to know! Is there an unacceptable limit to the a/c voltage present in the DC circuits that would determine the inverter/charger needs to be replaced?
You'll have to study that part. The inverter manufacturer is who I would contact.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:50 PM   #8

Do you have the coach batteries connected? Are they in good shape? Cuz generally a battery is a good filter... so test it by connecting the new lights and turn off the shore power and run off of the coach batteries... monitor the DCV and then turn on the shore power again. Also, as mentioned, check the AC ripple on the DC, should be a very low number (unless the batteries are toast).
Also, the more load put on the converter/charger, the higher the ripple will be, so add as much DC load as you can to check ripple.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:38 PM   #9

I had a slight flicker when my magmun inverter/charger was in float mode. I think it samples the voltage to see if it needs to change modes. My cure was this very large DC filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filter1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	476.5 KB
ID:	394227  
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 05:39 AM   #10

OP, please clarify if you have a charger/inverter or charger/converter.

Converters of that era were notorious for having a lot of AC ripple on the output. My 1995 motorhome had a converter and it output around 7 volts ripple. Electronics did not like that. To compensate, the power panel had outputs for DC from both the converter and battery. All that was needed to get clean power to the appliance was to move the wire in the panel from the converter side to the battery side. The battery will be the "filter" for the AC ripple.
jaydee325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:22 AM   #11

Old Technology

Some good advice posted above. Basically, technology has changed. New systems are better in multiple ways. New appliances are less tolerant of old technology.

The RV may have a two sided converter/charger. One side for battery charging. One side for 12 volt appliances. The side with the battery is probably clean. The battery stabilizes the voltage. The other side relies on a capacitor to absorb the ripple current.

Many old capacitor designs are subject to aging. Adding a large capacitor will help a lot.

However, as posted above there are multiple issues. Replacing with a new converter/charger will be heads and tails better for your system than the old one even when it was working as designed.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:12 AM   #12

You could also try different bulbs. Some LEDs have a diode bridge & a filter built in and don't care about polarity or AC.
Old 06-01-2023, 01:51 PM   #13

It has been suggested batteries will supress inverter noise. I found that my inverter was creating a lot of noise on my batteries.

More info at this link, solved.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/spee...ml#post2849614
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:14 PM   #14

If your house batteries were healthy they would be able to even out the dirty charger signal. A common symptom of a weak house batteries are flickering LED lights. LED lights are very susceptible to voltage fluctuations.

Make sure your batteries have enough water, maybe do an equalization charge. You probably need new house batteries.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, led