Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2021, 02:58 PM   #1

Corian countertop replacement

Guys and gals, does anyone know where I can get a replacement Corian countertop made in Michigan or maybe Elkhart? I am looking at a coach with an induction cooktop and I want to replace it with a propane cooktop. My understand in is that the hole for the induction cooktop is larger than the one for the propane. I'm not interested in any discussions about what a stupid idea this is, the wife has made up her mind and I know better than to go down that road. Thanks in advance.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2021, 03:05 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Maybe you could add some maple butcher block strips on each side to save some $. Do something creative that looks good but doesn’t involve replacing the whole counter.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Maybe you could add some maple butcher block strips on each side to save some $. Do something creative that looks good but doesn’t involve replacing the whole counter.

I've thought about that. I also know that you can glue in Corian strips but the pattern won't match. It all depends on price. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:14 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Yeah it would be tough to match, but maybe strips of highly polished black corian to match the cook top - so it looks intentional. I just had my factory cook top swapped out for this one:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65F10902-933D-4C5B-A4C2-A6DA4D00F638.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	358.1 KB
ID:	320711  
Old 03-09-2021, 03:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Yeah it would be tough to match, but maybe strips of highly polished black corian to match the cook top - so it looks intentional. I just had my factory cook top swapped out for this one:

Looks pretty good, where'd you get it done?
Old 03-09-2021, 03:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
From the factory our propane cook top is recessed into the Corian counter top (about 1").
This may work well with your original counter top.

My wife also loves the propane cooktop.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:33 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Looks pretty good, where'd you get it done?
Im at the Newmar service facility Nappanee having some other stuff done, so I decided to do this while Im here. I saw one of these stainless units with a cast iron grill in a 2020 Ventana and liked it. So....about $400 installed but it was a direct swap with the OE stove. Just got done today so I’m sitting here admiring it over a couple fingers of amber liquid...
Old 03-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I saw one of these stainless units with a cast iron grill in a 2020 Ventana and liked it.
Can you lease post a picture and maybe the model number?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:11 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
It’s a Dometic S31 - direct replacement for the OE stove.

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/food-a...cooktop-179731
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3E7965CF-8E1C-4E3A-B577-904160F5F893.png
Views:	53
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	320797   Click image for larger version

Name:	D4BB0073-2A6A-4046-AF35-7BE624E7ECD5.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	320798  

Name:	8CB38386-F2A4-4F83-BFE1-2AB1A7489E61.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	320799  
Old 03-10-2021, 08:56 PM   #10

Just my two cents on your decision....
Having a propane cook top in the coach is not only a great idea but a smart idea over induction. Just ask the 1000's of RVer's in Texas recently who had no power for days and days. These freak things can happen anywhere, anytime.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:21 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Any kitchen remodeler or cabinet shop and cut & fit a new Corian (aka "solid surface") countertop. There is nothing magical about it being in a motorhome.

Also consider a high end Formica (or Wilsonart) countertop. The better grade stuff is near-indistinguishable from Corian but usually rather less expensive. You probably wouldn't even need a countertop - just resurface the old one with the mica sheet after altering the stovetop cutout.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:37 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Guys and gals, does anyone know where I can get a replacement Corian countertop made in Michigan or maybe Elkhart? I am looking at a coach with an induction cooktop and I want to replace it with a propane cooktop. My understand in is that the hole for the induction cooktop is larger than the one for the propane. I'm not interested in any discussions about what a stupid idea this is, the wife has made up her mind and I know better than to go down that road. Thanks in advance.
I very recently added a 'wing' on to my countertop. I found an exact same match at my cabinet/countertop guy. He make up the new countertop, including matching the edge detail and it looks like from the factory. I was surprised Dupont (makers of Corian) was still making my color pattern.

If you have a sink cut out, take it to a Corian retailer and see if they have a match. A good shop can seam it together and you can't tell.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Any kitchen remodeler or cabinet shop and cut & fit a new Corian (aka "solid surface") countertop. There is nothing magical about it being in a motorhome.

Also consider a high end Formica (or Wilsonart) countertop. The better grade stuff is near-indistinguishable from Corian but usually rather less expensive. You probably wouldn't even need a countertop - just resurface the old one with the mica sheet after altering the stovetop cutout.

I thought about that Gary, I've got the tools and the expertise I just don't have the inclination, I've to too much work like that to do on income-producing property. I was kind of hoping someone would know of a company supplying the RV industry where I can give them the make, model and year and pick it up in a couple of weeks. I know the Nexus isn't producing their own countertops. I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:41 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Go to a metal fabricator ask them to make you a beveled stainless ring, i ve had good success in the past with this in the past.
KtownKajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement