Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #57

Thanks Dr4Film...We appreciate all the positive comments and testimonials from IRV2 members on our Water Miser Vents. You are some of our biggest proponents. Double Thanks.

I've participated in a number of these battery discussions so I thought I'd throw in some first hand industry knowledge.

Dr4Film mentioned something about voiding the warranty if mineral oil is added and this is 100% correct. I talk to battery manufactures on a daily basis and can vouch for this.

Coincidentally, yesterday I traded some emails back and forth with the director of research and development at one of these manufactures and she sent me their list of acceptable mineral and particulate impurity levels in water that can be added to your battery. I can send anyone the list if they want it, just let me know. Maybe I'll try and attach it to the post. If it doesn't work you can always email me.

On the other hand, there is nothing on the list that includes any type of inorganic petroleum distillate. However, it does mention trace amounts of "Suspended Matter". The main thing you need and should avoid at all cost are trace metals and chloride.

In regards to where to water your battery. The general industry rule of thumb is 1/4" above the separator plates and 1/4" below the vent well opening. Anywhere in this range is acceptable. Don't fill above the vent well because the is the possibility of creating a vacuum which prevents proper venting. Also, and this may have been mentioned, never add water before you charge your batteries unless the plates are exposed. Then, add just enough to cover the plates and continue charging. Top off the batteries when they are fully charged. We see this a lot with the Water Miser Vents. People add too much water or at the wrong time and then it sprays or bubbles out of the vents while charging. We then get calls wondering what the issue is.

Hope this include something new that was not mentioned.

If anyone has any questions about batteries fire away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Impurities Chart.gif
Views:	112
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	43359  
FlowSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
I started using the Water Miser caps in many years ago. The first picture below is my Camelot, after 6 months without cleaning the batteries. My bad, I have an image to uphold!

The point is that they work for me as designed, without the outgassing of the batteries. as evidenced below.

I keep the level 1/2 to 2/3 to the split ring, with adding water at 6-8 month intervals.

I put a set of caps on my previous coach and after 9 year were still functioning.

And, an added benefit of preventing outgassing, no matter which system one uses, is that the battery cables last forever. Well, not forever, but in my case 6 yrs, 9 yrs, & 6 yrs on my last 3 coaches.

2008 Camelot

1999 Dynasty

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowSystems View Post
Thanks Dr4Film...We appreciate all the positive comments and testimonials from IRV2 members on our Water Miser Vents.
If anyone has any questions about batteries fire away.
FlowSystems;1666399

Your Water Miser Vent/caps look like a great product but if I am not mistaken they are not available for 12V batteries.
Am I mistaken?
If do not, IMO you are ignoring/missing a large portion of the RV market.

My coach, as built by SMC, is has 4 12V deep cycle house batteries, and the battery tray/compartment would be difficult/expensive to modify to accommodate a bank of 6V batteries.
I do not/will not use "oil" in my batteries and would use your caps if I could.
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #60

I put mineral oil in mine something like 8-10 months ago and have not had to add water. They are down... probably 1/16" from when I filled them. That's in Phx where it got to 120° a couple times and set a record for days over 100. Right now, it is reading 109° just outside my battery box.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
FlowSystems;1666399

Your Water Miser Vent/caps look like a great product but if I am not mistaken they are not available for 12V batteries.
Am I mistaken?
If do not, IMO you are ignoring/missing a large portion of the RV market.

My coach, as built by SMC, is has 4 12V deep cycle house batteries, and the battery tray/compartment would be difficult/expensive to modify to accommodate a bank of 6V batteries.
I do not/will not use "oil" in my batteries and would use your caps if I could.
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
Everything works better with oil! I've had the same results Dunner has had. Haven't had to add any water since I did the oil trick almost a year ago. Heck I don't even check them anymore. No need.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:33 AM   #62

Mel...The caps should fit most 12V batteries. For example the Trojan T1275s. As long as the batteries use what we call a 1/4 turn bayonet vent you should be good to go. About 90%-95% of all deep cycle lead acid batteries made in the US use the bayonet vents.

If you have any question about sizing or batteries, give me a call at any time, I'd be happy to help you out.

Happycarz....Your batteries look great. Can I use these pictures?
FlowSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
This is what I have observed on my House and Chassis battery systems after using the Water Miser Caps on the House batteries. The caps would not fit the 8D Chassis battery as those caps are the push-on type.

For the House batteries, I check them every six months and maybe have to add 1 Liter or less of Distilled water to the four batteries. The 8D Chassis battery I have NEVER had to add any Distilled water as it never needs it. The main reason it never needs the water is that it isn't constantly being used and then re-charged like the House batteries are normally treated.

I don't use oil, never have never will. The Water Miser Caps work as stated plus if I ever have a battery problem I know that the supplier will warranty the battery.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowSystems View Post
Mel...The caps should fit most 12V batteries. For example the Trojan T1275s. As long as the batteries use what we call a 1/4 turn bayonet vent you should be good to go. About 90%-95% of all deep cycle lead acid batteries made in the US use the bayonet vents.

If you have any question about sizing or batteries, give me a call at any time, I'd be happy to help you out.

Happycarz....Your batteries look great. Can I use these pictures?
FlowSystems;1668171
Thanks
Most, (nearly all?), 12 V batteries, used as RV house batteries, are not "true" deep cycle batteries"..... (the 6 V golf cart batteries are).
My Interstate 12V "deep cycle" batteries can not be fitted with 1/4 turn bayonet batteries.
I have never seen a 12V battery that your Water Miser Caps WILL fit.

IMO, you are not serving a large portion of potential RV, and water craft, customers.

BTW, the Trojan 12 Volt T-1275 Golf Cart Batteries are pricey...($200+ each)....my Intersates cost $109 each, (other brands even less).

Mel
Old 08-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

I don't use oil, never have never will.
Dr4Film ----- Richard

I'm not buyin' that. It's the normal process of combustion to use minute quantities of oil. You may not have had to add any between changes, but you burnt some.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I'm not buyin' that. It's the normal process of combustion to use minute quantities of oil. You may not have had to add any between changes, but you burnt some.
Dunner
This discussion is about mineral "oil in batteries", not "engine oil".
Batteries burn no oil!

I am quite sure that Dr4Film meant: "I don't use oil, (in my batteries), never have never will".

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #67

My bad. Thought he was talking about his MH in general. In that case, nobody does. Didn't even need to be mentioned.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
FlowSystems,

Feel free to use the photos. Thank you for asking.

The second picture, of the 99 Dynasty, actually have the first set of caps that I originally purchased in 1995 for a previous coach. The picture was take in Feb 2008, when I was selling the coach. So they were in service for 12+ years.

When I bought my 2008 Camelot in June 2007, I bought new ones.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water