Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2017, 11:58 PM   #1

Covering your skylight

Someone else posted a thread in the forum entitled "Covering Skylight".

1 of 2 ideas I have to keep the heat out in the summer.

1. Use 1 inch thick aluminum wrapped fiberglass cut the standard size to stuff up into your skylights.

2. What I do is I buy the Camco brand aluminum skylight covers. They attach with adhesive Velcro straps to the inside part of your skylights. Parking in the shade is vital to keeping an RV in the summer. You can't keep an RV that is hammered by direct sunlight comfortable cool. It's just impossible. The Camco skylight cover are Really helpful it keep the inside about 10 degrees cooler in the summer. They are usually available for about about $10 bucks on EBay or available at your local RV parts store.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2017, 07:24 AM   #2

I use Aluminum bubble wrap in the big shower skylight, and these for the vented skylights (but I bought mine before they came Aluminized) https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...d=SW5ZPPI4VA4H

We some times have to face the sun when dry camping at car events so use big inside windshield covers from Aluminum bubble wrap. Sort of ugly and restricts the view, but the temperature difference is significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
Someone else posted a thread in the forum entitled "Covering Skylight".

1 of 2 ideas I have to keep the heat out in the summer.

1. Use 1 inch thick aluminum wrapped fiberglass cut the standard size to stuff up into your skylights.

2. What I do is I buy the Camco brand aluminum skylight covers. They attach with adhesive Velcro straps to the inside part of your skylights. Parking in the shade is vital to keeping an RV in the summer. You can't keep an RV that is hammered by direct sunlight comfortable cool. It's just impossible. The Camco skylight cover are Really helpful it keep the inside about 10 degrees cooler in the summer. They are usually available for about about $10 bucks on EBay or available at your local RV parts store.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:02 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The subject was pretty much covered in the other thread you mentioned.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #4

My solution is simple and low cost. I buy colorful cotton rugs and cover my skylight. I place them using a ladder or us my RV ladder. It dries fast but I do clean if needed. "Taking the rug down" is #8 on my setup/takedown checklist. I'm a new member so apologize if this was mentioned.
Knotworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #5

I just painted the outside cover (skylight) with aluminum paint. Kinda' permanent, but it has certainly lowered the temp inside the b-room.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #6

If you're using the foil faced insulation to block heat in the shower skylight use caution. The insulation is very effective and with the combination of reflected heat off the foil, you can soften and cause the inner plastic to sag badly. Ask me how I learned this??[emoji33]☹️
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
I use Aluminum bubble wrap in the big shower skylight, and these for the vented skylights (but I bought mine before they came Aluminized) https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...d=SW5ZPPI4VA4H

We some times have to face the sun when dry camping at car events so use big inside windshield covers from Aluminum bubble wrap. Sort of ugly and restricts the view, but the temperature difference is significant.

Hey thanks. That's great!! I have been looking for something to shield the inside of windshield during the morning hours. Living in the southwest, summers are brutally hot. But it's that morning sun that hits the front of Motorhome that really heats things up. Can I get this at Home Depot???
Old 04-02-2017, 10:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
If you're using the foil faced insulation to block heat in the shower skylight use caution. The insulation is very effective and with the combination of reflected heat off the foil, you can soften and cause the inner plastic to sag badly. Ask me how I learned this??[emoji33]☹️

My last RV I owned, I used reflective everything to keep the heat out. You name it. Windshield visor, roof vent covers, door window cover, window coverings, etc. Not much of a place where the sun could shine through. I did notice the plastic on my roof vents got a little soft but nothing serious. I opened the vent cover about 1/8 of an inch then put aluminum covers on. Helps the heat escape without damaging the cover.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
I just painted the outside cover (skylight) with aluminum paint. Kinda' permanent, but it has certainly lowered the temp inside the b-room.

Steve

👍 coooollll
Old 04-02-2017, 10:38 PM   #10

I have heard of aluminum vent covers. I think they are expensive and I'm not sure if they'd make an RV cooler or if the metal would actually heat things up. Anyone here dealt with metal vent covers??? What's your experience with these???
Old 04-02-2017, 10:40 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My dual pane skylight outside cover is a white plastic and the inside is clear.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:41 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I have heard of aluminum vent covers. I think they are expensive and I'm not sure if they'd make an RV cooler or if the metal would actually heat things up. Anyone here dealt with metal vent covers??? What's your experience with these???
Had them years ago, they do transmit the heat and cold very well. My last two MH's have had dual pane insulated Fantastic Fan covers.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Had them years ago, they do transmit the heat and cold very well. My last two MH's have had dual pane insulated Fantastic Fan covers.

Now you have me confused.

Here in Pahrump it can get upwards of 117 F degrees in the summer, so we usually camp out in an RV park where there are lots of trees for shade, but in the 12 noon hour when the sun is directly overhead there is no escape from direct sunlight. That's when my AC is running almost non stop to keep the inside temp halfway decent.

So I guess my question is. To clarify. Would the metal roof covers make it hotter inside or cooler?? Or I am better off sticking to my old fashioned plastic covers??
Old 04-03-2017, 07:05 AM   #14

Even if the metal cover gets hot, the real benefit is having one of the thick insulating pads stuffed into the recess below it.

Quote:
... Would the metal roof covers make it hotter inside or cooler?? Or I am better off sticking to my old fashioned plastic covers??
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
light