Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2022, 09:31 PM   #1

Cracked windshield

Windshield on my 2015 Entegra Cornerstone is cracked from bottom to top on driver’s side. Is it safe to drive?
quailcreek51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2022, 10:49 PM   #2
Community Moderator

It should be fine but better use a clear tape to bind them together from inside and out to cover the line, before replacing.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:31 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Keep in mind a windshield is actually two pieced of glass laminated together using a clear film between the glass to hold the two pieces together so unless the crack is on both sides (inside & out) you'll be fine but do get it replace as soon as practical.
Old 10-01-2022, 04:52 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I am no expert but I've had several windshields damaged by debris on the highway.
I would tape it inside and out with 3M Repair Tape. I would drive it as necessary and not delay getting it replaced. Your biggest risk is probably a total failure if it gets hit by anything big driving.

We got hit by a big rock that crushed the windshield at the top with about a 1" smashed spot and cracks radiating for inches. Within a few miles they had propagated to one edge and were heading down the left side. We started working on getting it replaced within 24hours of the damage and it took us over a month to schedule an install. We drove to three parks during that period which was about 800 miles of driving.

I personal would schedule a replacement as soon as possible with a reputable RV installer who has done many windows like yours. You would be better off taking it to a shop where it can be done indoors. Indoors any rust or other repairs that need to be done to the surface where the windshield mounts to the coach can be performed. At a shop they can take the time to fix it right.

A good RV mobile glass install can come to you but if your coach has problems where it mounts you will only know this once the windshield is out. At that point you'll have to install the new windshield with only rudimentary repairs that can be done on the spot in a few minutes. The windshield can not be removed with out braking so you will not have a chance to get any rust fixed etc until the next windshield is installed. If there is damage to the mounting surface the mobile glass installer will probably not warranty the work.
Old 10-01-2022, 08:37 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I had a chip repair fail which resulted in a large crack while we were in FL. Safe-lite, who handles repairs for my insurance co. told me it would be safe to take it home to MA. It lasted until it was replaced (about 1,800 miles)
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 01:20 PM   #6

Yep, just drive on till it's convenient to get it replaced. I had one pop out at the lower passenger side when I crossed over some uneven terrain and flexed the frame. I could slide my fingers through the opening. On the advise of Coachnet, I just taped the gap up with duct tape and drove 1500 miles home. There was also a crack in that same area. Another time I had a crack as you described and drove 1800 miles home. It's not going to shatter and the wind pressure will hold it in place. Neither windshield came apart when they removed them. That's because a windshield is made up of three layers. Two layers of glass held together with Ply-Vinyl Butyrl, a plastic film that prevents shattering.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:18 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for your replies. You have put my mind at ease, and now my wife can sleep well tonight.����
quailcreek51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:20 PM   #8

I hit a Turkey in New Hampshire back in 2009. I drove 300 miles home with a smashed Windshield.
Here is my old video
https://youtu.be/DGUiZu5zGLM
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack, wind, windshield