Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2020, 01:32 AM   #1

Crazy, Haunted, or Normal?

My 87 Holiday Rambler motorhome to say the least very interesting in a kind of spooky, or even scary way. When it's night, and it's dark and quiet my wife and I for the time between our heads hitting the pillow and when we fall asleep it's not quite as dark as it should be at least not in certain parts of the RV anyway, and it's certainly not quite. The sounds and noises that just don't make any sense. I'm not talking about sounds like your pilots flicking on your refrigerator, which we here, or the sounds of your RV settling, or the click of Say, a relay switch or something. We also hear sounds like, a cable cord going down the length of your motorhome giving it a smack on the side like in a wind storm but there's no cable cord and there's no wind,. And it's just one smack when it happens quite often also. Or the sound of those old fashioned light switches that are in the wall in by the door in each room in an old house loud ones that click loud when you flip them on or off but we don't have any switches like that. We have no shutters but we hear them shutting. Or the sound of an old sliding jail door shutting not that loud but that sound. My wife and I like to go places where we are isolated we like peace and quiet but we can hear music sometimes off in the distance or people talking or even like a CB radio will also hear static like a white noise but I've disconnected the stereo and taken out the CB that was a few days after I disconnected the speakers. Or the sound of newspaper or plastic not really crumpling up but like someone's walking on it or crawling on it and we do have that kind of stuff around . Or the sound of someone walking on dry leaves... It's not autumn... There's more strange sounds but that will give you an idea of what we lay and listen to while laying awake in bed. The lights are dim hard to see most of the time lights that don't flicker but have reflections that do. Lghts that a lot of times can be seen better out of the corner of your eye when you look a little bit away from them like in your peripheral vision. Mostly red or green or a Crystaly silver color. Sometimes there's a reflections that that we can't find a light source for. And one more thing, the the Drastic temperature change from comfortable to cold in an instant like someone just open a door. Now I am thinking we're not crazy cuz we're both hearing it and seeing it. We both react at the same time and concur the same sounds and lights. We are fairly new motorhome owners. I know there's a lot of electrical and switches and little sounds and stuff like pilots lighting relay switches, switching, and the sounds of settling all normal sounds but also sounds that we can't put a finger on. Is any of this normal? Can anybody explain some of this? or are we huanted?
Channing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #2

While this may not answer all the wierd examples you gave, it is possible mice are having fun in your motorhome. They can make quite a racket.

Mice could DEFINITELY be the cause of the cord dragging, paper crumpling, leaves moving, and any clicking sounds.

They can make these sounds in the living areas of the motorhome, in the walls, and on the outsides.

They can run up and down ledges and curtains with ease.
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:14 AM   #3

Channing, you're not using more that the recommended amount of your medicinal marijuana, are ya?

Just kidding.

As C5c5 stated, mice or some other critter(s) could be causing some of the things mentioned in your opening post. Corroded or bad electrical connections could be a cause for some of it. Neither of these seem to explain all the things you're experiencing.

First thing I'd do myself would be to try and record some of this. Have the phone ready to video and record sound. I might also invite family or friends to stay a night or two to see what they experience. This of course, without mention of anything about the strange phenomena.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #4

If you're both hearing these sounds I'm inclined to rule out hallucinations, although ghosts (and unicorns) remain a possibility.

My bet is that you have critters of some kind that are enjoying your HR's hospitality. Anything from mice or rats to snakes eating mice and rats (or simply staying warm).
Old 02-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #5

I hear sounds at night too.....but I have severe tinnitus. Many times it will sound like a radio station but very soft and in the distance. I hear many other sounds but attribute them to my drag racing years without ear protection🥴
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:30 PM   #6

I'd call the ghost busters.....
Old 02-24-2020, 12:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdavet View Post
I'd call the ghost busters.....
Great Idea.Got the number?
Old 02-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing View Post
Great Idea.Got the number?
867-5309(ee-yine)

Their receptionist Jenny will take down your information. :-)

Can you get a live recording of what you are hearing as someone earlier suggested? That might help in narrowing down the causes.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #9

I guess having an rv that is possessed, is better than having one re-possessed. Sorry, but I stole my own joke. No worries, Im here all week.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:35 PM   #10

Channing,

Here is an article that gives a few more plausible explanations as to why you are hearing things. Give it a read. At least 4 of the reasons given can definitely be issues in an RV-drafts, carbon monixide, mold, and low frequencies.

It is possible that your RV is acting like a resonance chamber resulting in you hearing lots of things you normally wouldn't.

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/ed...ons-for-ghosts

Are you still had issues of late?
Old 03-22-2020, 02:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5c5 View Post
Channing,

Here is an article that gives a few more plausible explanations as to why you are hearing things. Give it a read. At least 4 of the reasons given can definitely be issues in an RV-drafts, carbon monixide, mold, and low frequencies.

It is possible that your RV is acting like a resonance chamber resulting in you hearing lots of things you normally wouldn't.

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/ed...ons-for-ghosts

Are you still had issues of late?
Let's touch on low frequencies first.
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, you don't even know, some of the things my wife and I are not only hearing but feeling.
Have you ever been in your RV and heard someone knock on the door and when you go to answer there's no one there? What about not on the door but on the side? The roof? From underneath? And still no one there? How about a knock or a thump or a bang that is loud enough and hard enough to feel a bit of a percussion from it? Have ever had it happen to you so monotonously that you sit or stand next to your door grasping a bat or pry bar waiting with white knuckles waiting for the next sound only to rush out the door like a madman knowing your going to be beating somebody's (let's say) butt or be getting yours beat in any second? How about all of this in the middle of a field where you and your wife or other person ( in my case, my wife) so you could try to desifer if it's some one or something that's messing with you? I'm thinking, no on the low frequency sounds because we both concur almost all of the sounds meaning of course, that we both hear them like to hallucinations which would come with mold and carbon monoxide two of us aren't likely to be seeing the same hallucinations as was touched on by someone when I first started this thread and when it comes to drafts one day it was kind of warm nice for a winter day we had our RV door open and as it has slammed many times before this day and this time it started to slam then it suddenly stopped about 3 inches from closing then one second later slammed, hard like it never had even stopped. And just the day before yesterday the door and the screen door were open first the screen door slams then the door slams now that was a little bit more believable but even if there was wind how does the wind catch the screen door and not the door also the first time it doesn't make sense and yes my wife and I both we're looking outside when it happened we both witnessed it and I've got so many other things like that I could talk about but I'm going to end up there. Because that's all I got on low frequencies, mold, carbon monoxide and drafts.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:36 PM   #12

Next time you can, record these incidents on your phone. Multiple times if you can.

Then perhaps others can figure out what is going on.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:00 PM   #13

As for being able to see lights out of the corner of your eye, I can explain that one. It's the physiology of the eye. Your eyes are actually more sensitive to light that is hitting the retina away from the center of your visual field. Your eyes have two types of light receptors, cones and rods. Cones see color and rods don't. Cones are densest near the center of your vision giving way to mostly rods as you move away. Rod are more sensitive to light than cones. Using that extra sensitivity is something every amateur astronomer learns to do while viewing faint objects in a telescope. It's called using averted vision. You look slight away from the object you want to view but maintain your attention on the object. Things and details that are invisible when looking directly at them, pop into view as you look away.

As for seeing things in very dim light you must understand how the visual system works. People think that there's a direct connection between what the eye's see and what you perceive but it's more complex than that. There's a lot of information being produced by the eye, too much for the brain to process in its entirety. The brain has to prioritize what information is important, and what can be ignored. It also takes incomplete information and makes a best guess on what it expects to see to fill in the gaps. Magic tricks take advantage of this image processing, and when done well can cause you to see things that aren't there, and not see things that happens right in front of you. It's why 10 people can see an event happen and have 10 different versions of the details. You experience this "filling in the gaps" process every day without realizing it. All our eyes have a blind spot, just a little off center in out vision, but we don't walk around seeing a dark spot in our view because the brain fills it in.

Another thing that happens in low light conditions - is the signal to noise ratio becomes low enough that you start seeing the noise. Again, this noise isn't uniform and the brain is still trying to process the signal. This is a very old survival tactic. Being able to detect a predator sneaking up on your in the dark is very important. As the old saying goes: In survival, it's better to mistake a rock for a bear in the dark, than a bear for a rock. The very core programming in your brain is to alert on subtle noises and sights, and it precedes conscious thought.

You auditory system works much the same way as the visual system. I'm not saying the things you are hearing are all in your imagination, but some are certainly just the nature of the human sensory system. Having two people see or hear similar things at the edge of perception isn't unusual either because we all grow up in a similar environment which teaches our brains to interpret low level inputs in similar ways.

I've had jobs where I've been the only person working in an old building late at night and I was always hearing odd noises. One common thing I'd hear is what I thought was someone far away saying my name but no one was ever there. I learned those old building creaked, popped, rattled whistled and made all kinds of noise. There were some people who couldn't stand to do the same job because of it. Things cool off during the night and contract a differing rates, causing some of the popping and creaking. Critters scamper and even subtle breezes can change the air pressure pushing on an enclosed space.

I'm sure there's an explanation for what you are experiencing and you certainly aren't crazy.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote