Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2017, 06:38 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have SMS Guardian text alerts on every purchase we make. If there is a purchase we didn't make we enter a code the text gives us. Since we switched to this program haven't had any more of the suspected fraud issues with the cards.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #16

I have a Pilot/Flying J charge card that gives me a discount with my Good Sam's membership. I lose the "free money" my usual Visa card pays me in rewards, but the discount and no double purchases make up for that.
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I, too, let my bank know when I am traveling out of state (I can do it from my smartphone app), and I go inside to authorize a purchase amount; that eliminates the $100 shutoff.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWKingSD View Post
Bought the MH late last year (Coachmen Leprechaun) here in southern California - 2016 chassis, '17 coach. Your'e the second person to ask about that - it's July of '17 so it doesn't seem unusual to me. Am I missing something?
Not now... Seems I recall your signature orig said 2107...

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWKingSD View Post
Bought the MH late last year (Coachmen Leprechaun) here in southern California - 2016 chassis, '17 coach. Your'e the second person to ask about that - it's July of '17 so it doesn't seem unusual to me. Am I missing something?
Some are listing 2018 models.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:54 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Let's get back to discussing the original question.

Thank you,
Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Hopefully, you have a second credit card. If for some reason I cant fill mine and the card isn't allowed to be used for a second fill, I switch to another card. When fuel was up around $4.00, I often had to use a second card for the third restart of the pump.

Remember, card limits are neither set by your bank or the gas station. It's set by the company processing the credit cards at various gas stations. We use the PenFed card that pays 5% when you pay at the pumps. This brings up a point mentioned by another. I NEVER take a credit card inside and leave it. If they can swipe and return it, fine, but never leave a card at a gas station.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:36 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzcar View Post
Most of time it will take the same credit card twice but if it doesn't I put a different one in and go about filling up. Don't have to call to talk with someone in India that doesn't speak English.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:05 PM   #23

We use the Pilot/Flying J card. Love the convenience.
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby49 View Post
We use the Pilot/Flying J card. Love the convenience.
We like the convenience also.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:09 AM   #25

When we used the Volvo to tow our fifth wheel, since our purchases were almost always 150 gallons plus and at a truck stop, the pumps were geared for big purchases. We had a Flying J card in the beginning but it seldom seems to be one around when we need one.

Now we have the Bounder and we need about 60 gallons a fill and can use regular gas stations, we run into the first card limit. Only once did we have the same card rejected for the second part of the fill. For a while the CoPilot would go into the counter before filling. But we have dropped back into the pattern of just using the same card to finish our fills. It is just part of driving an RV.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:36 AM   #26

It's sometimes a pita but I've learned the hard way, let the bank know you're traveling, what days and places you'll be.

Nothing like getting stuck in a foreign country airport to learn this.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:53 AM   #27

Usually I fill up and go in and pay with cash or the card at the counter, no limit then.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
This works for me:
I call the credit card company to let them know we're on vacation & that I have a motorhome with a 75 gallon tank so I'll be making large gas purchases.

When pulling into the station, I've already calculated how much gas I'll need based on the gas gauge level & I note the pump number we've pulled next to. I go inside & pre-authorize that calculated amount. While DH is filling up, I browse the store & keep an eye on him. When I see him start to pull out of the pump area, I head back to the counter for a receipt.

This has turned out to be the least hassle for us.

L-
Ditto! We only get charged for what we buy, any excess authorization is ignored.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas