Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2022, 07:36 PM   #1

Cummins ISL with turbo issue

Hi. I have a 400HP ISL 8.9L on my DP and I was told my turbo has this thing (it’s supposed to move when turbo is activated) that’s broken clean or cut clean. However I notice it drives fine and turbo sounds fine and no issues whatsoever with performance even when climbing. I was quoted several thousand dollar to put in a new turbo. Is that necessary or if I leave it like that will it cause any issue?

Thank you for your time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5DA0452C-C233-49F8-AAB6-85BEFDC29DDF.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	377756  
Evugrandtour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2022, 08:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evugrandtour View Post
Hi. I have a 400HP ISL 8.9L on my DP and I was told my turbo has this thing (it’s supposed to move when turbo is activated) that’s broken clean or cut clean. However I notice it drives fine and turbo sounds fine and no issues whatsoever with performance even when climbing. I was quoted several thousand dollar to put in a new turbo. Is that necessary or if I leave it like that will it cause any issue?

Thank you for your time.
post the picture again without it blocked with the red circle. Also post the make model and year of your coach. It doesn't show on a android if it's there.
Old 10-01-2022, 08:47 PM   #3

Cummins ISL with turbo issue

That looks like a Holset HX 400 variable geometry turbo. (VGT) see pic.

If this is correct, that shaft is what moves the turbine blades to achieve the variable geometry.

So with the shaft broken, the turbo is now a fixed geometry turbo and apparently it is in a position mostly open which would develop full power but should be somewhat laggy on spoolup.

Im not familiar enough to know if running it this way will cause any damage or not. If the blades are fixed and not moving it would be the same as a fixed geometry turbo but if somehow they are continually moving or flapping that may cause catastrophic failure of the turbine

Best thing to do is repair or replace it for sure. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5646.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	377757
Old 10-02-2022, 05:39 AM   #4

I believe most VGT in motorhomes are part of engine braking, instead of Pac exhaust brake. The trans may still downshift but no engine braking.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
post the picture again without it blocked with the red circle. Also post the make model and year of your coach. It doesn't show on a android if it's there.
Here you go. It is an 05 Alfa gold. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	301D7D23-16B4-4107-A380-30DEE82A88BB.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	377779  
Old 10-02-2022, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_C View Post
That looks like a Holset HX 400 variable geometry turbo. (VGT) see pic.

If this is correct, that shaft is what moves the turbine blades to achieve the variable geometry.

So with the shaft broken, the turbo is now a fixed geometry turbo and apparently it is in a position mostly open which would develop full power but should be somewhat laggy on spoolup.

Im not familiar enough to know if running it this way will cause any damage or not. If the blades are fixed and not moving it would be the same as a fixed geometry turbo but if somehow they are continually moving or flapping that may cause catastrophic failure of the turbine

Best thing to do is repair or replace it for sure. Attachment 377757
Thank you. I’m just not ready to drop $4k as the shop quoted :/
very disappointed to know the shaft can’t be replaced or repaired. I will ask couple other shop around to see if that can be repaired instead of putting a new turbo
Old 10-02-2022, 12:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
I believe most VGT in motorhomes are part of engine braking, instead of Pac exhaust brake. The trans may still downshift but no engine braking.
We were coming down steep grade towing a van behind and the engine brake worked flawlessly. But I’m wondering if there is a way to tell if it’s engine braking or transmission is holding the coach?
Old 10-02-2022, 12:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evugrandtour View Post
We were coming down steep grade towing a van behind and the engine brake worked flawlessly. But I’m wondering if there is a way to tell if it’s engine braking or transmission is holding the coach?

Simple:

Use the Allison down arrow to choose a gear that puts your engine toward the upper end of its RPM range.

Toggle engine brake ON/OFF/ON

Any difference you feel will be due to the engine brake, as your transmission is a "constant".
Old 10-02-2022, 02:10 PM   #9

It’s a shame shaft can’t be welded together.
Old 10-02-2022, 04:44 PM   #10

The real question is why did it break in the first place. That’s a substantial looking shaft, seems would take quite a bit to break it. I suspect some internal issue caused it to break and if not repaired properly may do the same to a new shaft.
Old 10-02-2022, 04:50 PM   #11

This version of the ISL has a Jake (compression) brake. The turbo is not involved at all in engine braking.
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:05 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Suggest you create an account on the Cummins Quickserve site, then register your engine. The site offers a lot of information on your engine including the turbo. This might be a replacement part of the turbo.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

There may also be some useful information in the manuals as the working of the turbo. Lots of information but it may take time to find it.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:58 PM   #13

Turbos are sometimes rebuildable. You probably have a good core to repair or rebuild. Few shops do it any more because they’d rather just sell you a new one and send you down the road. Also maybe there’s a re-manufactured turbo available. With a good core to trade in your cost should be quite less than 4k.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:32 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Driver View Post
This version of the ISL has a Jake (compression) brake. The turbo is not involved at all in engine braking.
May or may not!

My 400 hp ISL has the VGT exhaust brake!

Tags
cummins, turbo