Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2020, 03:21 AM   #1

Talking Currently homeless, and looking...

Greetings to all. I知 somewhat new to the RV life. Just sold my house and I知 searching for a diesel-powered toy hauler preferably around 06 to 08. I have no clue as to the models they had back then. I like the Thor Four Winds Fun Mover 39D. I like the smaller ones like a 29H except for the fact they have the triton V10. So I知 looking for info, and after that I hope to contribute in time as I live and learn.
TangoDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2020, 06:31 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoDown View Post
Greetings to all. I’m somewhat new to the RV life. Just sold my house and I’m searching for a diesel-powered toy hauler preferably around 06 to 08. I have no clue as to the models they had back then. I like the Thor Four Winds Fun Mover 39D. I like the smaller ones like a 29H except for the fact they have the triton V10. So I’m looking for info, and after that I hope to contribute in time as I live and learn.
So, you're gonna have to do some research and spend a few hours on this. Right before and immediately after the Great Recession (2007-2009) quite a few Bigs went bankrupt, merged or Sold out to a bigger company: Thor, Berkshire, Winnebago (who purchased Newmar in the summer of last yr) control (pretty much) the RV market. Unless you go with a Class C not too many Bigs (Rv Co's) have a diesel in the 20-30 ft range, you'll have to go to a 33-34 footer.

Just Go through all the brands that you find interesting. Narrow it down to 3-4 and come back here to get some advice from the old sage and wise folks (not me. lol).
Old 03-03-2020, 06:51 AM   #3

Not opposed to 34 38 foot.... thanks
Old 03-03-2020, 06:57 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I'm no expert in the toy hauler arena but I don't think they made a diesel toy hauler. The issue obviously is that all modern Diesels are pushers - the engine is in the back which makes it impossible for a toy hauler design. Before the 08 melt down there were some Diesels with front Engines (FREDS) but I'm not sure they ever made a toy hauler.

You might have to go the Triton route or get a 5th wheel toy hauler with a diesel truck.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:09 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum
Camper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:16 AM   #6

Start walking the rv lots and do allot of looking.
You will narrow down your likes ? And dislikes very fast.

You will also get educated enough to reevaluate what is available
And what appeal s
To You.

Good luck.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:30 AM   #7

The class C I have found....sold.... had a Cat. Another full bus was a pusher. But the smaller ones have the V10
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thor 39D.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	276863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Simba.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	276864  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Four Winds 29H.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	276865  
Old 03-03-2020, 07:36 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar made some toy hauler mid engine units. Very rare though, ISC engine was under the floor.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:55 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Newmar made some toy hauler mid engine units. Very rare though, ISC engine was under the floor.
The All Star. An intriguing beast. There are a few for sale out there right now.
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:06 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Have a look at some of the big dealer web sites.

Most have floor plans, etc. for you to browse through.

PPL comes to mind. They even publish the sold prices so you can sort of get an idea of what you can expect to pay.

As far as a diesel toy hauler, you might want to change your mind there.

Maybe pulling an enclosed trailer would work better for you.

You loose living space and you might not find a floor plan you like.

I looked long and hard to find the floor plan I wanted, but eventually did.

Have a look here.... ppl.com They are all consignment, but a place to look nonetheless.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:16 AM   #11

Thanks all... as far as me... its just me and the Macaw.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:07 PM   #12

Have you considered a fifth wheel toy hauler pulled by a diesel pick up truck? Before I got my Class A, I had a Ford F-350 pulling a Cyclone toy hauler. After you unhook the toy hauler you still have the truck to drive around in. Ford, Chevy and Dodge all make diesel pick ups, and there are many toy hauler fifth wheels out there. A good used truck and a good used toy hauler should be less expensive than a rare diesel toy hauler.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:41 PM   #13

The Thor is like what you need to search. Look at Super C or truck conversions. One of the best places for your search is www.racingjunk.com and look in the RV/Toterhome section. Do advanced search for garage, you should find several.
One question is what do you want to haul? Golf cart, side by side, or a vehicle? That will affect what length and load capacity you need.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:31 AM   #14

38Chevy454 , Agreed , I'm learning. I have tools, and will likely only have a quad with me. I'm thinking I'm stuck with the V10 but its also gets me into a newer model as far as the rv is concerned... that's a good thing. Looking at a few today