Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #1

Dash cam recommendation

I an finally looking to getting a dash cam , I don't need the best with all the bells and whistles but I would like the ability to record for an extended period of time without changing SD cards too often .
Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Garmin 55 with a 64GB card will give you a full day on the road recorded and you never have to change the card as it overwrites the oldest file when card gets full.
Full 1080 HD.. plus it can to photos at the same time. Has voice command that works well.
Stamps the bottom with date, time, latitude, longitude and speed on photos and video.
After going through about 4 or 5 other dash cams that frankly were problematic from day one I went with the name I trust and they didn't disappoint.
I now have one in the MH, on the Harley, in the truck and in two cars.
I have no connection to Garmin...I just like their products.
Here's a day and night shot. The video is just as good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GRMN0009.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	215412   Click image for larger version

Name:	GRMN0002.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	215413  

MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:47 AM   #3

Do they have the software that plays the video with maps etc on the same screen?
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWzrd View Post
Garmin 55 with a 64GB card will give you a full day on the road recorded and you never have to change the card as it overwrites the oldest file when card gets full.
Full 1080 HD.. plus it can to photos at the same time. Has voice command that works well.
Stamps the bottom with date, time, latitude, longitude and speed on photos and video.
After going through about 4 or 5 other dash cams that frankly were problematic from day one I went with the name I trust and they didn't disappoint.
I now have one in the MH, on the Harley, in the truck and in two cars.
I have no connection to Garmin...I just like their products.
Here's a day and night shot. The video is just as good
X2. Also has a VIRB app for Android, to upload pics/vids to your phone on the fly via bluetooth/wifi built into the camera, if necessary, or you can transfer them to a laptop manually with and included cam to USB 2.0 cable. Uses 12VDC power from any available cigar lighter type outlet. Also has a Travelapse feature that takes pics along your route at a slower rate (1 frame/sec?) to record your travels. So far hasn't been too problematic, and the voice recognition is nice, allowing hands free pics and video saves.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
An inexpensive camera that makes great quality video is the Black Box Dash Cam and is available on Amazon for around $50. I've had four of them in my Jeep, truck and motor home for several years and only had one fail. You can set it for over write recording and it will continue to record over the oldest files. That way, you never have to pull the card unless there is something you want to download.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #6

Thanks Folks for this info , I have recently become a believer in the dash cam.
Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:25 PM   #7

At $19.95 each, I have been very happy with the WyzeCam HD security cameras. I use them in my home, they too write to a SD card continuously and also have voice, listen, alert and night vision. I can just grab one and stick it on my dash when I am traveling in my motorhome.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm pleased with. it was on sale for $89.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-17-2018, 07:42 PM   #9

I use a blackvue. What I really like is that I can view real time or clips on my phone with their app.

A few days after I installed it a garbage truck crossed the line on a high way and broke the mirror off the garbage truck. We stopped and the guy was yelling how I swerved. When the State police arrived I called up the clip and it was clear he was swerving and I was as far over as possible.

I suggest that any camera you get should have an option like that so when there is an issue you can call it up and show it. I can also down load the clip to my phone which is then saved to my one drive.

I like showing friends all the crazy stuff we see when driving.

BlackVue DR750S-1CH Dashcam w/ 128gb BlackVue MicroSD Card https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FBRR3P..._JG3DBb0HMSMBD
Old 08-18-2018, 06:12 AM   #10

I bought this one on advice from this site - works great
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure you get the model with capacitor instead of battery. I bought a 32G Sd card for it. The display is only 2" but that is one less thing to distract me while driving - I can see it is on and know it is recording, I don't need to see what it is recording.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:02 PM   #11

What is the voice command feature for? I’ve considered a cam, but I guess I figured as a camera you just push a button to record or again to stop.

You talk to it? Doesn’t background chatter mess things up then?

Not clear on how if you have an 8 hour recording you can save maybe 5 min you want to keep and otherwise overwrite the rest.

Anyway my thought was it records, something happens, and you want a way to identify and save a small clip, but the rest you don’t need, and I’ve not understood how that would work without hassle.

For the garbage truck event, how did you isolate that small timeframe within what was maybe hours of recording and do so in what was apparently a short time after the incident?
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:10 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civdiv99 View Post
What is the voice command feature for? I’ve considered a cam, but I guess I figured as a camera you just push a button to record or again to stop.

Not clear on how if you have an 8 hour recording you can save maybe 5 min you want to keep and otherwise overwrite the rest.

Anyway my thought was it records, something happens, and you want a way to identify and save a small clip, but the rest you don’t need, and I’ve not understood how that would work without hassle.

For the garbage truck event, how did you isolate that small timeframe within what was maybe hours of recording and do so in what was apparently a short time after the incident?

Yes, you talk to it. It does a very good job of understanding even when I have the sun roof and all the windows open. It ignores background conversations and the radio until it hears its trigger phrase.

The voice command allows you to tell the camera you want it to do something. The trigger phrase "OK Garmin" wakes it up and then you give it a command like "Take a Picture", "Save Video", "start Travelapse, "stop Travelapse", "record audio" and "stop audio".

I've used all of them but mostly the travelapse and the save video.

Video is saved in one minute mp4 files in an unsaved directory on the card. Any video saved using a save video command or that is triggered by an event (something jarring) is saved in their own directory and the files are locked to prevent accidental erasure.

How do I find one moment in 8 hours of recording (almost 500 files)? The easiest way is to note the time since the video is all timestamped. (clock is set by the GPS automatically)

For those times when you are tooling along and something happens... "OK Garmin.....Save Video". But...many times you don't think of it at the time. (has happened more times than I want to admit when it was just a unique something or other) Then just going beck to the timestamp can narrow you in quickly.
MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civdiv99 View Post

You can set the length of the clips mine are 1 min. You can also set the G sensor so that if you had an impact it will save it as an impact. The time is set automatically so if I want to look at a clip later I just note the time.

So in the case of showing a clip you open the app connect to the camera with its own wifi and then you can see all the clips. Go to the time and select it. Plays on your phone just like any other video. If you want a minute before or after just select it. You can also edit a clips length of needed. If you want to save the clip just hit save and its saved to your phone.

The camera can be set to record sound all the time, or just when there is an impact. It knows when you are parked and stops recording unless it detects an impact like someone backed into you. It also can record speed etc.

I like this unit and the app.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:04 AM   #14

Ok the time stamped files make total sense and clear up my confusion.

Trigger phase. Like DW is always doing with her Google thing. Got it. My kids are gone and it’s getting more crowded.

Now I think I just read about the above suggested products, and see how long I can go not telling DW she can talk to it. Wait, they don’t answer, right?
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash