Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Deploying, Early Winterizing Questions

I am deploying overseas the end of August and must store and winterize soon. I am located in Western NY. This is the second winter of owning a Class A gasser. Last year I used the cover that came with the unit. It was stored in a fairly windy area and was torn to shreds. I do not plan on using a cover this year. I will use Tire covers. My questions are:
1- Should I use AC covers?
2- I was told to put levelers down and spray the rods with WD40. This is to prevent flat spots on my new tires.
3- Install Wiper Blade covers.
4- Close all shades to prevent any sun fading of the fabrics.
5- Remove and store all batteries inside.
6- Winterize the full water system.

I know this is early and not in your plans now but I must cut my season short and would appreciate any opinions.
jrizz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a list of things to do for winterizing.
Leave the jacks up and put plywood sheets under tires to keep them off the ground surface. Jacks down will only expose them to the weather.

You have aired up tires for your coach load which maybe lower than side wall max for storage put them to the sidewall max pressure and reduce back to your load pressures when you use the coach again.

Change engine oil and remove batteries if you have no power connection for winter storage and no one to monitor battery water levels if you had power.

Good luck in deployment, be safe.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Q 1- Should I use AC covers?
A: Your choice, won't hurt and I doubt they will help

Q2- I was told to put levelers down and spray the rods with WD40. This is to prevent flat spots on my new tires.

A: Use the material specified in the jack owner's manual it is NEVER WD-40, may be silicon lube but it is NEVER WD-40

I do not think it will help flat spotting on the ties but it will help in several other ways, Stablize the RV in the event of a high wind, Help take a load off the springs.. DO put wood blocks under the jacks though.. I have had jacks freeze to the ground and when I had to drive it was a job to break 'em free.. Had wood blocks freeze to the ground too but not to the jacks, Drove off tapped them gentlly with a 12 pounder and they popped free.

Q3- Install Wiper Blade covers.
A: By all means, and lift the wipers off the windshield. I have seen many put a tennis ball between wiper arm and windshield, I have one custom made (Wiper Buddy) piece of plastic and one hand carved hunk of wood based on the wiper buddy design.

Q4- Close all shades to prevent any sun fading of the fabrics.
A: Sounds like a good idea, Never done it but sounds like a good idea.

Q5- Remove and store all batteries inside.
A: Fully charge and disconnect (Lift netative leads) If you are going away for years, and have 120 vac handy a Battery Minder/Tender (or if you have a good converter just plug in but only if you have a good 3-stage unit)

If you remove two suggestions: 1: Paint, red on all positive wires, (Optinally black on the negative) and PHOTOGRAPH
so you know how to put 'em back.

Q6- Winterize the full water system.
A: YES. do that
Old 07-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Q2- I was told to put levelers down and spray the rods with WD40. This is to prevent flat spots on my new tires.

A: Use the material specified in the jack owner's manual it is NEVER WD-40, may be silicon lube but it is NEVER WD-40
I wipe the leveler shafts with a rag moistened with ATF.

Be safe on your deployment, thank you for your service to our country.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #5

If you close curtains they take the beating of the sun. I made inside window coverings out of 1/8" Masonite to save my curtains . I always stored them flat under the bed. If your worried about the shafts on your jacks, I would wipe lube grease on them and leave a coating. WD-40 doesn't last at all and the grease will easily wipe off years later. If you don't remove batteries at least dis-connect the terminals, clean them well and spray terminal protector on them and stick each group or individual cables into a Baggie and tape closed. If batteries are no good when you return at least all the cables are ready to go. The wipers are easy, just un-clip them and store inside. Wrap metal end with few wraps of duct tape in case someone's happens to turn them on without he wipers re-installed. Park on blocks of wood it prevents leaching out stuff from your tires etc, Tire Covers do help I believe ,but wire them on so wind don't blow them off.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #6

This is the MH section, your profile says your RV is a Dutchman Infinity, which is a 5th wheel, but your post says it is a class A. Perhaps Dutchman makes both types named Infinity? Regardless_here are,
My thoughts; make window inserts from insulating, aluminized bubble material, I forget the name. It will be much easier, faster, and both block all sunlight and insulate the windows some, and slightly reduce interior temperature swings.
Plastic instead of wood under tires eliminates tire/water soaking, which is, according to tire mfgrs. bad for stored tires; even contact with concrete is not recommended for extended storage.
I too would not extend the leveling jacks, even coated with chassis grease they might corrode in spots.
Tire mfgrs. recommend inflating to 10 psi above sidewall maximum for extended storage with weight on them.
If the storage area has a history of humidity problems in winter, consider one of the products like "Damp-rid" that is non-electric. It is now available in large tubs designed for RV's in storage.
If it will be stored outside, consider having an Rv service center use the SealTeck leak detection system to locate and seal any water leaks, however tiny. It is well worth the money for such an investment.
When you winterize the plumbing use this to help remember everything: http://rvbasics.com/RV-Technical-Articles-1.html
It does not cover winterizing a clothes washer though.
I wish you well, come home safe and sound.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #7

Stay safe, return soon and thank you!
cdeshensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
don't forget to mouse proof your rv, whichever kind it is.
thank you for your service and keep safe.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Store for deploy

I deployed a few years back and had to store my 6 month old Monaco. I was gone 9 months in Iraq and a couple things I'll recommend;

1. Leave your refrigerator doors open to avoid mold.

2. Check your water heater drain to see it is completely empty, or if using antifreeze check your cathode in the heater drain to make it has some material left.

3. I'd disconnect the negative cables from your batteries unless you have disconnect mechanical switches (not the relay activated ones). Use a battery tender if you have 110v available.

4. After you empty the holding tanks make sure you put some holding tank treatment in enough volume to cover the dump valves. You want the seals to stay lubricated. Coconut oil will work.

5. Look all over the coach for remotes and battery powered devices and remove batteries that can corrode.

6. Use a fuel stabilizer in the gas tank.

7. Disable the smoke detector and LP/CO2 detector if you can.

8. Put some towels on the dash for sun protection if stored outside. Use white towels not dyed ones.

9. I put ant traps inside and I used a "bug bomb" for spiders when I returned. Don't leave anything edible inside. Consider removing your BBQ grill if it has food droppings in it or on it.

I made the mistake of leaving my toad in a long term parking lot and the rain messed it up bad....don't forget your towed car. When I came back it had 3 flats and the disc rotors were rusted in position. Either rain infiltrated my gas system or simply an old tank had rusty parts that settled and after I jumped the car it ran two blocks and then the electric fuel pump seized up from gobs of rust. If I had only left my keys with a friend and asked them to run it occassionally it would have saved thousands. Consider having a friend start up your RV occassionally, and if considered trusty, have them drive it around the block a few times every month. Depends on how long you could be deployed. Not trying to start any political discussions but the facts of the current administration and sequestration has resulted in fewer rotations and longer lengths of stay. Once deployed you may not be returning when you think.

Thanks for your patriotic service. Be safe.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote