Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post
Been there.
3 weeks ago I picked up my Entegra MH in Middlebury Indiana after being worked on, painted, Buffed and waxed.
I wound up driving from In thru Ky in the worst white knuckle conditions ever, horizontal snow, 25 gusting to 45 mph cross winds, and salt everywhere.
Arriving home the coach and toad were crusty white with salt. Washed it including underneath as best I as I could. Time will tell, but having lived in Chicago for a lot of years, I know from experience it takes a lot more than 1 or 2 salt exposures to do any real damage.
Is it going to be very costly to replace the soiled drivers seat??
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
After spending most of my life in Ohio, and seeing salt damage on my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd motorhomes, I'm very familiar with salt damage. Any road in Indiana you will attempt to drive a motorhome on will have been salted in the last snowstorm. Up north we're very generous with spreading the salt. I would delay pickup of the new coach until at least two rains have passed thru, and the roads have thoroughly washed off and dried. The crushed salt will remain as powder on the roads and sent airborne by air currents from your coach and passing vehicles. By mid-March you may be past the risk of another snowfall, but keep an eye on the Weather Channel. A one-day drive will get you well south of the snow belt. Personally, I would NEVER getting ANY salt on MY new $300+k coach!! After you return home, if there is even a hint of white salty powder on the coach, I would spend a couple of hours under the coach rinsing off everything, engine, drivetrain, suspension, generator, wheel wells. It's the reason many of us from the north will go south to buy our used vehicles.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
Says something! My 12 year old Subaru Out Back is basically rust free because Subaru learned its lessons. I have had Subaru's since 1977 and they all went to the junk yard with good drivetrains but terminal rust Subaru #11 now has more than 300,000 salty road miles and has some rust, #13 now has 150,000+ miles and no rust.
So what doe it say about the quality of a MH?
Nothing?