Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2017, 07:42 PM   #1

Developing Waterpump issues.....

Starting last year we were developing an extremely loud water pump. Fast forward to this weekend, I find the pipes are rattling against the structure. I used heat wrap and it did stop the rattling. The pump is still loud and now the system is full of air and I can not get rid of it. Is the pump dying a slow death or do you suspect I have other issues?
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2017, 07:54 PM   #2

If the system is full of air it will not pump water. Have you tried bleeding the system through its low point drain? This is usually successful in priming the pump after it becomes air bound. If that doesn't work, then you need to inspect the water line from the tank to the inlet of the pump. There may be a cracked or otherwise comprised section of that line that is allowing air to enter the system and causing your problem. If you see something in that line that you feel could be the problem source, use a spray bottle and bathe that area with water while the pump is running. If there is a crack or a hole, the spray bottle water will be drawn into the system and the pump will run and pump water so long as the hole is covered with water.

Dan
Old 04-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #3

The kitchen sink is the worst. When the faucet is turned on, you can hear the pump priming then blows a force of water out. It is very inconsistent. Water does flow out just not in a uniform matter.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:35 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Clean the pump strainer and make sure to put it back on tight. Then clean the sink strainer, all of them. Next check your Water Heater Winterization valves and make sure they are setup properly and fully closed (cross connect). Also go the outside shower and make sure that actual valves are shut, not just the shower head. Last but not least make sure the Potable Water City hookup valve is in the City or Shore water position and not I the Potable Water Tank Fill Position. This being is yours has one.
Let us know what you find.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"pacevette"....One of the main reasons these pumps are noisy, is because they're hard plumbed to the water system. That means that they connected the pump directy to the plastic "pex" plumbing. Every little noise the pump makes is transmitted down the lines.

If your pump is plumbed this way, there is a simple fix. Just change how it's connected by using the same white water hoses you use under your sinks in your house. Disconnect the "pex" plumbing from the pump, attach a length of the white flex hosing to the pump, make a loop and attach it right back to the "pex". This will give you a "cushioned" connection to your pump.

The air issue sounds like you have a leak that is drawing air. "SuperGewl" above, gave you some good info.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #6

I am going to inspect the lines once again. I do not have a valve from city water to potable water. I did clean the screens. Pump strainer will have to wait til I get some time later this week. I just found it coincidental I guess that the lines are chattering and now the air. All of the valves on the water heater are in thier correct position. Outside shower is also off. Late last season I put another rubber pad down to mount the pump. It just seems the pump itself is very loud, especially after I was able to get the heat wrap around my pet lines.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:18 PM   #7

I found it! Have a bad water line connection on the pump itself. Is it recommended to use plumbers tape on the fitting?
Old 04-16-2017, 06:24 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Can you post a photo of the fitting?
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:25 PM   #9

I will tomorrow. I was going to tonight but I couldn't get a good picture.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
None of the water pump fittings should use tape. They should either be a pressure fit or have a rubber gasket.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:42 AM   #11

Here is the part that is loose. It looks like tape is present on there but can't tell for sure. Not sure if I can tighten it without taking it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-04-17-13-40-45.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	158594  
Old 04-17-2017, 11:48 AM   #12

That's a suction (or inlet) strainer and it does look like a threaded fitting with teflon tape. The pump inlet usually has a quick disconnect fitting, so you can undo the quick connect and then re-tape and tighten the strainer side threaded fitting. Or just take the whole pump out and fix it.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #13

I am going to tackle it this week sometime. Not sure if I will have to take the pump out or not.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #14

I had a few extra minutes so I decided to go out a take a look. I had 2 problems. First, the strainer basket that connects to the pump was loose. I took it off to make sure the gasket and threads were all good. Second problem, the strainer basket itself was not tight. I have no clue how I did not get any leaks! I just want to say thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

Tags
water