Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2022, 01:51 PM   #1

Diesel Particulate Filter light

On our way to Hill City SD I thought we were having an issue with power but, Id not driven in the hills since we’d bought our coach. A few days later we started towards Cody Wy. and it was obvious, we had an issue. I pulled into a parking lot and changed fuel filters. At first I thought it had helped, but no. The HEST (high exhaust system temperature) light came on and off a time or two, as the manual says it should. Then the DPF light came on, went off, came back on flashing, the book says a regen is needed but, there was no place to pull off. Finally finding a pull off, we did, and no regen happened. Finally, with the DPF light flashing, we cripple in the last 50 miles into Cody.

We spend a couple of days there, and Im doing some research, and its not looking good. Everything I found says a regen is needed, to be started by the (if so equipped) regen button, or a forced regen through Cummins Insite. Well, we dont have a regen button. The closest Cummins shop is 90 miles away in Billings Montana, and yeah they can get us in........in 3 weeks.

We were supposed to move on through the Tetons on to Jackson which is pretty much uphill all the way. The short way is through Yellowstone, I didnt want to get stuck on those narrow, crooked, steep roads if this thing goes into shutdown, which in my reading, is coming without a regen. So we had to tell the grand kids we have to cut the trip a couple of days short, and head home. Heading back home was mostly down hill and closer towards any help if needed. My son has a friend who deals in used off road equip. and hes saying basically, run that thing til its tongue hangs out (in a short way) and it will straighten up. I didnt have much to lose so, that was the plan

We started the next day, I ran it in 4 th gear, 60 mph, flat on the floor, @ 2250 rpm with the DPF light on. About 10 miles down the road the HEST light also came on. Another 15 mi., the DPF light went out, and the check engine light came on. Another 10 mi., the HEST light goes off also, the power is back, and I continue with normal driving. After restarting the engine at the next fuel stop, the check engine light was gone. We continued home, the next 2 days with no issues.

I decided to share this as I had not seen anything like this in my searches, and maybe someone else, in the same position can use the info. Sorry it got so long!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2022, 01:59 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
DPF light comes on, just keep driving.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:08 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
It sounds like you managed to do a Regen while driving in lieu of having to do it while fast idling for an hour or so. Did you shut down while the HEST lamp was on? On mine, the HEST lamp is normally on for about 20 minutes at highway speed while it's doing a regen.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 02:46 PM   #4

2012 maxforce 10 in My Monaco Knight. Having similar problems but never got to a point of losing power. I kept driving normal interstate speed 65 (+-) I have dash lights showing stage 1 came on and then off a few times. After reaching our site with the light on I’ve tried a stopped ReGen following the manual but the light on the switch didn’t come on and idol remained the same. It’s not going into the ReGen mode? Any suggestions to approach the problem would be appreciated
Old 09-06-2022, 03:11 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hm, never too old or too experienced to learn something new. Driving my fourth Turbo diesel, One Ford power stroke and three Cummins two ISB's and one ISL. Never experienced an regen. Did not even know what you guys were talking about; had to Goggle it. Now I know. But why have I not experienced a regen?
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 03:20 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt B View Post
Hm, never too old or too experienced to learn something new. Driving my fourth Turbo diesel, One Ford power stroke and three Cummins two ISB's and one ISL. Never experienced an regen. Did not even know what you guys were talking about; had to Goggle it. Now I know. But why have I not experienced a regen?

You have. It does it automatically when it needs it and it happens as you're going down the road. You might see the high exhaust light come on, you might not. We see it if it starts and we're not at freeway speeds. At freeway speeds we don't see the light come on.
Old 09-06-2022, 07:12 PM   #7

I perceive it to be an emissions requirement? Since it’s after the combustion cycle it can only effect the exhaust as it is discharged. I’m sure it probably couldn’t be eliminated without interrupting other functions in the overall system?
Old 09-07-2022, 05:28 AM   #8

I dont know anything about a maxforce, nor do I know that the emissions system is any different. In my case, the solution was run it hard. Drop a couple of gears and let it rev and keep it there, get that system as hot as you can. Any idle time I pay attention to increase idle speed to 1000 rpm. Used to, I would drive around 63 mph or so, that would put the trans in 6th at about 1700 rpm. Not any more.
Old 09-07-2022, 06:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandcinok View Post
I dont know anything about a maxforce, nor do I know that the emissions system is any different. In my case, the solution was run it hard. Drop a couple of gears and let it rev and keep it there, get that system as hot as you can. Any idle time I pay attention to increase idle speed to 1000 rpm. Used to, I would drive around 63 mph or so, that would put the trans in 6th at about 1700 rpm. Not any more.
From your post above, are you saying that you don't allow the coach to go into 6th? What do you mean about 'not anymore'?

Someone with a Maxforce should pop in and tell us the difference but I think it doesn't have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter).... I think it burns the soot in the engine.

On my '08 Dynasty I had the same engine as you do. It would go through a regen and I could see a light come on the dash telling me that. I drove generally 55-60 most of the time and never had any issues over 69,000 miles.

My '15 Prevost had the DPF and DEF. At 55 mph it would run at 1,200 rpm's. Again, I was never aware that it was going through a regen as it did it flawlessly. I drove that coach 63,000 miles.

My current 'B' goes into a regen and I never know it. I think if there is an issue, then a light would come on. In 9,700 miles, no issues so far.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:58 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK, guys, help me out here. DPF is a filter right? Is it associated with the DEF in diesels? The rig I drove for 15 years was an 06 so it did not have DEF. This one does, so do I have that filter?
Old 09-07-2022, 08:13 AM   #11

Sgt B, yes you have both the DPF and DEF.

The DPF is metal from what I understand, it only needs to be changed if damaged if I'm not mistaken. Google says it can last 150,000-200,000 miles.

Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt B View Post
OK, guys, help me out here. DPF is a filter right? Is it associated with the DEF in diesels? The rig I drove for 15 years was an 06 so it did not have DEF. This one does, so do I have that filter?

DPF is a diesel particulate filter. It is not necessarily associated with DEF. My 08 ISL425 has a DPF but not DEF.

FYI the previous owner installed a Bully Dog tuner. He ran it in performance mode when on the highway and the engine ran rich. This created more soot than normal and ended up with a DPF that could not regenerate. A new filter system had to be installed.

I thought about doing a DPF delete, but learned that shops that work on a engine with the DPFs deleted can get fined pretty heavily so I opted to replace the system.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:59 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks guys, very helpful!
Old 09-08-2022, 06:39 PM   #14

Dpf light

Thanks for the responses the information is great.
To further state where I am my Monaco does not use DEF.
I have two rocker switches on my side board (left side of the wheel).
One switch marked REGEN the other marked INHIBIT REGEN. When the light on my dash for stage 1 REGEN came on I was driving from Atlanta to Augusta on I 20. I continued at 65-70 mph for an hour or more. Light would come and go.
Once at the park the next day I tried the manual REGEN where the manual states the engine temp should be 170+. The activation light on the REGEN SWITCH would not come on. I abandoned trying a parked REGEN.
Would like to find out if there are things I can check before going to a dealer.
I’ve previously used Rush trucks for maintenance. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tags
diesel, light