Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2016, 10:22 AM   #43

It really doesn't matter which RV I get next, it will be much quieter vs what I had last time

Had a 08 Bounder 38P - workhorse - easy to hold conversation up front

Divorced -

Thus next RV will be much quieter
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2016, 10:25 AM   #44

Just to be clear, I'm not joking. I can see how some folks might think this was a sarcastic post on my part. It wasn't. People who want to contribute are welcome to submit info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Oh come on Don, my first post to this was tongue in cheek and I thought maybe the OP was joking. But as it continued some seemed to take it more seriously. It starts to get old, gas vs Diesel, and which is better. There is really no better, it's all a matter of choice and what works best for you.

I seem to remember you getting a little heated in other posts when the New vs Used debates were going on and you saying It gets old when people talk like those of us who bought new were stupid, wasting money, frivolous, or those saying "keep buying the new ones so us used buyers can buy your MH for cheap". It's the same insult just a different topic.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
What??????????????...I can't hear you I'm the owner of a Gas MH....Pun Intended. Really who cares, it's all a matter of choice. I didn't choose a gas over a diesel for the noise aspect, ours is actually pretty quiet unless climbing a grade, even then not bad. I chose a gas MH because I can do all my own maintenance. Do you really need to do studies, graphs, charts ect...I think everyone knows a diesel MH is going to be quieter in the drivers seat...the engine is in the rear, and my "smart" phone didn't tell me that.
Don't really need to add anything to that. Nicely PUT!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:37 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
It really doesn't matter which RV I get next, it will be much quieter vs what I had last time

Had a 08 Bounder 38P - workhorse - easy to hold conversation up front

Divorced -

Thus next RV will be much quieter
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #47

We started out with a 1973 19' Class C with a Chevy 350. Loud and loved it. Trade for a 23' Tioga. Next was a 31' Coachmen Leprechaun...great Class C until temps reached 90, and then the single roof air could not keep. Next, was our first Class A, an Itasca Suncruiser, 37', V-10 that sounded like it was going to blow up when going up hills. That's when we made the move to diesel and traded for a new 2003 39' Horizon. Great motorhome with a 330 HP Cat that ran awesome. Got the bug again in 2006 and traded for a 2006 Allegro Bus, which we full timed in for 5 yrs. Sold it a and bought a new home and a 26' toy hauler TT to be able to take our Harley with us. After a few trips decided it was two small and traded for a 31' toy hauler, which we really liked. That being said we really started missing a motorhome and l now have a 2015 35' Georgetown. We are very happy with the Georgetown and the engine noise is minimal...no shouting required. I love the simplicity, and it was so nice to be able to take it 8 miles to our local Ford dealership for engine and gen service at a total cost of less than $150.
Will Parish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #48

Fun idea Jondrew! I'd actually already used that app to test out the noise level difference when I upgraded from my Sprinter Era to our new Southwind (FE diesel and FE gasser respectively). I'm surprised at all the people going out of their way to say it's a waste of time because of xyz instead just ignoring it instead, but __shrug__. Anyway, here were my results while at 65mph on a typical surface (not rough, not super quiet).

Sprinter Era: 54db
Southwind: 54db, hill climbing 58db.

For both I found them to be pretty loud while at highway speeds so I wasn't surprised by the results.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just figured out the mileage for our last trip and I'm actually surprised. we drove 4904 miles and averaged 8.66 mpg. The engine is a Cat 3126 at 330 hp. I didn't really drive that slow and am surprised the mileage is that high. Went through the figures twice.

We were also towing on the dolly our VW Passat the entire trip.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:51 PM   #50

96 Bounder Ford F53, Doug Thorley headers and aftermarket single exhaust exits in front of passenger wheel.
Idle 38 db
65mph 52 db
75mph 58 db
Wide open throttle 65 db
Generator running @ 65 53 db
Asphalt interstate no head wind to speak of.
I have insulated the doghouse and dash area to try to reduce noise as much as possible.

Thanks
Adam
afrohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:35 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Finally Got a Good Reading

The wind turned 90 degrees, so it was zero headwind, zero tailwind, smooth pavement at 65 mph.

Michelin XZAs at 120 psi.

Passenger seat read 78 dB and Driver seat 79
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #52

So far 52 posts and only one giving any sound data for a motorhome. I would guess there's more interest in discussing which is louder than gathering any data. As for me, I really don't care either way. Having the data on either isn't gong to change anything in our lives.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:13 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just switched from a W22 to a Freightliner XCS chassis.
In the new chassis there is zero engine noise up front. For me driving has all this tome it was though to get used to not hearing the engine to gauge speed, etc.
the DS has much more power and works much better on the hills.
You still have wind noise from either unit.
There is some noise when the genny kicks in, but both are quiet enough to to have a Normal conversation....
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:23 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
So far 52 posts and only one giving any sound data for a motorhome. I would guess there's more interest in discussing which is louder than gathering any data. As for me, I really don't care either way. Having the data on either isn't gong to change anything in our lives.
After spending the winter in the southwest, we got home around the first of March and then put it in storage until the end of April. I'll be able to get some readings when we get it on the road then.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:37 PM   #55

I finally have some measurements on my Discovery. I did not get a chance to "play" around much, so the measurements are kind of limited. All measurements taken with Dash AC off, generator off and the meter held at the drivers head position.

Sitting in the coach, engine off 30.5 dBA
Stationary, engine idling. 48.7 dBA
Driving 40 MPH smooth road, windy 65.6 dBA
Driving 65 MPH, highway, windy. 72.3 dBA

I might note my Discovery seems a bit noisier since I had the new windshield installed. There seems to be more wind noise. There is also a 'harmonica" like buzzing noise under very windy conditions that I suspect may be the new windshield molding vibrating in the wind. I have to call the installer back to see if he can add some sealant to,quiet that down.

Thanks the people who have posted some numbers or who plan to. I'll bump the thread from time to time if it goes dormant to keep it active.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:54 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
I finally have some measurements on my Discovery. I did not get a chance to "play" around much, so the measurements are kind of limited. All measurements taken with Dash AC off, generator off and the meter held at the drivers head position.

Sitting in the coach, engine off 30.5 dBA
Stationary, engine idling. 48.7 dBA
Driving 40 MPH smooth road, windy 65.6 dBA
Driving 65 MPH, highway, windy. 72.3 dBA

I might note my Discovery seems a bit noisier since I had the new windshield installed. There seems to be more wind noise. There is also a 'harmonica" like buzzing noise under very windy conditions that I suspect may be the new windshield molding vibrating in the wind. I have to call the installer back to see if he can add some sealant to,quiet that down.

Thanks the people who have posted some numbers or who plan to. I'll bump the thread from time to time if it goes dormant to keep it active.
Here's some info on sound levels from one of my apps.

0-20dB Very quiet, almost feel nothing.
20-40dB Quiet, like soft whispers
40-60dB Ordinary indoor conversations
60-70dB Noisy, may hurt the nerve
70-90dB Very noisy, nerve damage
90-100dB Increased noise, hearing damage
100-120dB Unbearable

If readings that we will be getting seem out of whack with the above, the app may need calibration.

Tags
diesel, gas, noise