Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2022, 04:36 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Diesel vs. Gasser

Hi Helpful Group,

We currently have a 2006 Fleetwood Southwind 37C and are strongly considering moving up to a 2011 Tiffin AllegroBus 43QGP.

Two main questions; I do my own service now, so what do I need to learn to conduct regular diesel service?

Second; pros and cons of the Tiffin from those who have owned them.

Thank you all in advance for your valuable responses.
MEC57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2022, 06:03 AM   #2

Take a look at the service information area of the attached webpage from Freightliner to get an idea of what needs to be done on an annual basis. Since you are considering a Tiffin, the info I provided is a guideline only, since that year Tiffin may use a Freightliner chassis or an inhouse proprietary chassis(powerglide), but the basic's will be the same, especially with items related to theengine/tranny as they are going to be Cummins/Allison . Freightliner Custom Chassis
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 02:47 PM   #3

As far as the engine is concerned, changing the oil is just like any other engine except there is a lot more oil. Fuel filters are easy, some people pre-fill, some don't.

Air dryer canister is pretty easy unless the old one is stuck.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 02:56 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
To answer your Second:

I went from a 2006 Bounder gasser to a 2018 Phaeton. Loved it. It was to be our retirement coach. Pro's were the smooth ride, IFS, all electric (floor heat=ahhhh!), AquaHot for practically unlimited hot water, beautiful design, spaciousness, flat floor stem to stern (PG chassis), HUGE bathroom. There were, really, only 2 cons I had about it:
1. Constantly getting locked out by the TriMark entrance door deadbolt lock. I got to the point of only locking the top lock & also leaving the pilot's cockpit window unlocked in case I needed to get in through there.
2. The constant concern about having a breakdown due to DEF issues. Once I started reading about those, I always had anxiety about that.

Now, diesel is $2+ more per gallon than gasoline. That's an "ouch" that would make for #3 if I still had it.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 07:17 PM   #5

We had our 2013 43QGP 9 1/2 years and 83,000 miles with only minor issues. It was the best of the 7 motorhomes we owned in 27 years. I think that model was only on the Powerglide chassis. They used a 60/40 proportioning valve for the drive and tag axle weight distribution which put the steer axle up to it's max rating. Tiffin sent me 75/25 prop valves which took 700# off of the steer tires and redistributed the drive/tag weight to a much better balance. They did go back to customers who asked for it and supplied them with the same option, but only those who requested it. I think the 2011 also had the 14,600# steer axle while the 2013 was 15,600#. I would check with Tiffin to see it that coach serial number was one of the upgraded ones. They actually swapped axles for a guy in FL. There are a lot of pre 2013 buses with the 14.6 front axle with no issues, but I would want the heavier one. We just sold our 2013 Bus last summer, as we just didn't need it in our current lifestyle. The couple that bought it sold their home and went full timing in it. Good luck in your search.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 05:00 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks but no attached web page link.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:01 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you!
Old 11-17-2022, 05:03 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you. Great info.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC57 View Post
Thanks but no attached web page link.
Sure there is.... click on "Freightliner Custom Chassis" in my original response.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 04:19 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC57 View Post
Hi Helpful Group,
We currently have a 2006 Fleetwood Southwind 37C and are strongly considering moving up to a 2011 Tiffin AllegroBus 43QGP.
Two main questions; I do my own service now, so what do I need to learn to conduct regular diesel service?
Second; pros and cons of the Tiffin from those who have owned them.
Thank you all in advance for your valuable responses.
There are about 50 things that need to be done or at least checked on about every 15,000 miles for diesel motorhomes. My chassis is Freightliner and I would trust no one but Freightliner to do all my 15000 mile maintenance service. You can save money by doing the work yourself, but I would say don't trust yourself. Missing something important can cost you $$$$$ when it breaks down. For diesel RV's, I say go to the pros only.
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas