Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
I am using Dish. Happy with it. Winegard in-motion works perfectly and receives HD programming with no issues. Winegard warned that Direct would not be in HD with this tracking dish so I went with Dish. You can also do a pay-as-you-go rather than going for a 2 year contract. Somewhat higher rates but if you don't camp during (say) the dead of winter, you just suspend the service and pay nothing until you re-activate it. No activation/de-activation fees either. Direct / AT&T have ALWAYS been in the "tell the customer the bare minimum possible" camp. For example, I have U-verse at home, with 25 mbit internet. If you watch three HD and one SD channel (all it can do) internet bandwidth is more like 3-4 mbits/second. When I confronted them, they seemed totally surprised... Gave me a free internet upgrade. I said "whoop-de-do" it still can't break 5mbits with 3 HD and 1 SD program being watched...

I'm seriously considering going charter for home internet, and Dish for TV. Then you can get dish in the coach for $7 per receiver, again turn on/off as you want...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #16

I hope the let me know that my service is going out next week.

I just checked my DirecTV account. It shows 2 SD receivers and no hint of turning my service off.

When they do turn it off, I'll go to Dish Network.

My King Quest dome can be converted to Dish with a $100 adaptor. That will work for the house and RV. My boat needs an in-motion dome.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #17

After doing battle with Directv a few years ago, just before the ATT buyout, I'd NEVER use their service again. If DISH wasn't available, it would be OTA or nothing at all. Best of luck to Directv subscribers, I sincerely hope you don't have to put up with the LIES I got from their customer service.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
There are a lot of companies still selling SD sat dishes. If Direct TV is taking 101 down this quick there will be some PO'd customers.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Direct TV isout update

I called them back today and got a little different story. She new about the letter being mailed out. They could not tell me when the SD signal will stop. She had no info other than my SD equipment will need an upgrade. She told me that when the tech comes out that he can set an HD receiver up to work off my currant dish on the RV. My house dish and all receivers will need to be changed. Makes no sense. Could be trying to get me to upgrade to HD and pay for it later. Still sounds like they are hiding something on the fees also. I have decided to do nothing and see what happens. I can always switch to Dish later.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
I called them back today and got a little different story. She new about the letter being mailed out. They could not tell me when the SD signal will stop. She had no info other than my SD equipment will need an upgrade. She told me that when the tech comes out that he can set an HD receiver up to work off my currant dish on the RV. My house dish and all receivers will need to be changed. Makes no sense. Could be trying to get me to upgrade to HD and pay for it later. Still sounds like they are hiding something on the fees also. I have decided to do nothing and see what happens. I can always switch to Dish later.
DirecTV wanted me upgrade my receiver to a HD compatible one in 2009. I didn't and nothing bad had happened yet.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #21

Folks don't push the panic button just yet!!! The letter referred to in the OP was to notify the customer that he had to update his equipment and that procedure would START on 4/16/2018. It did not say that SD service would stop on that date. DirecTV has a LOT of equipment to replace and it will take a year or more to accomplish...

Don't Panic Just Yet......
Old 04-10-2018, 06:14 PM   #22

Can't update here....to many neighbors trees in the way.......Dish is even worse!.....Streaming next?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe they are starting to convert customers prior to the SD cutoff giving them time to cut over. They won't turn off 101 they will migrate more HD programming over to it. Don't you believe that the current SD programmers will convert at least some to HD.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a tripod mounted SWM antenna, installed power inserter and switch inside the fifth wheel. Take the HR44/500 from home, use an app on my Iphone to find the satellites, lock on and good to go. About 15 minutes of my time. I got faster the more I did it.
I agree that 101 will be re purposed.

If ATT gets anymore in the way, I'll consider DISH again.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:30 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post
Maybe they are starting to convert customers prior to the SD cutoff giving them time to cut over. They won't turn off 101 they will migrate more HD programming over to it. Don't you believe that the current SD programmers will convert at least some to HD.
I won't, SD in my sticks and brick and the Coach........picture is wonderful and good enough of a quality picture for me and I have not one ounce of desire to increase my bill! Paying way to much for TV now!
I never worry about the future, to many thing's to do and finish today.........when the time/day comes, that is when I will deal with it.........
In motion died last summer, new Windgard G2 installed......hope they keep it going........
Old 04-10-2018, 06:32 PM   #26

Lucky for me, my King Flex will receive Direct, Dish, or Bell.....just need the right receiver
Old 04-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Lucky for me, my King Flex will receive Direct, Dish, or Bell.....just need the right receiver
Looks to me like it a SD only ........might be wrong........
HD from dish..........if I am reading right.....
Old 04-10-2018, 06:55 PM   #28

It is...but good enough for who it's for!......lol