Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2006, 09:11 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is a good brand and model number receiver for Directv for use in my motorhome? I presently have Directv model R-15, which has recording capabilities that I do not need or use. The thing loses its memory after each power disconnect, and takes forever to download and program for next use. I need a simple receiver. Any recommendations?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2006, 09:11 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is a good brand and model number receiver for Directv for use in my motorhome? I presently have Directv model R-15, which has recording capabilities that I do not need or use. The thing loses its memory after each power disconnect, and takes forever to download and program for next use. I need a simple receiver. Any recommendations?
Old 06-09-2006, 09:41 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think that your are going to have a problem. All of the chain electronics stores seem to be trying to push toward more features. I haven't seen anything like the plain ol' RCA recievers that I have which work fine.

I'd suggest that you look around to pick something up used but if you do, be sure to contact DirectTV first. The reciever and card inside are "married" and the card has subscriber account information on it. I tried to give one of my recievers to my son and DirectTV wanted $50 to reprogram the card for him. He could get a nearly free package of a new receiver and a dish for less that $50 at that time so I still have the receiver.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:19 AM   #4

You might want to go directly to Direct TV. I replaced one of my receivers (basic unit) going to them directly. I bought a reconditioned unit.
Bobg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
If you already have a Direct TV account talk to customer service and explain to them what you want to do. You should be able to negociate with them for YOUR card to fit any compatable receiver that you have, no matter where you got it. At least that is what Direct TV told me. Direct even told me the best place to buy receivers was Goodwill, etc. You have to call them with the receiver information and they will 'marry' your existing card to that receiver. I was told 'no charge.'

There is a lot of competition between the two companies, as chasfm11 pointed out, use that.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:37 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Have you looked at their D10 or D11 receiver? These are the newer, non recordable, receivers that seem to work okay. However, I've run into problems when trying to use with generator or with Modified Sine Wave Inverter. The new technology doesn't seem to like the erratic sine wave of either.

The previous RCA DirecTV receivers were the best ones I found for use in the motorhome. However, you can't get them anymore. I still have one that I use at the house, then put in moho when traveling.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:36 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is a great thread. Happens we're on our 4th recording receiver Directv and so far all have died and been replaced.. First 2 were Hughs and last ones are their new own label. Wife thinks Hughs were better,she's the remote commander. Speaking w/their reps over the past year, we should be able to put it in rv and go losing only pay per view. We too have never had the recordable work properly hooked up to cg power or w/gen. The old RCA's like others have posted have always worked. Shame that, miss much favorite shows when traveling. There is a bit of contradiction between what customer service says will work and what techs say. Sometimes even between techs. I'm about to upgrade to a view while moving dome and this is good to know about the recordables. Thinking my only recording option might be to use a DVD recorder jacked to one of the other tv sets or laptop and software. Gotta be a way.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:31 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Should have mentioned that if you have Direct send you a receiver you will get their new private label brand.

As eandy stated, the new receiver's user interface is a HUGE step backwards in useability and convience. It was so bad I called Direct and told them. They told me their research did not support my position.

So, you will have to decide for yourself.

I posted this here and so as not to threadjack have started a new thread in the Tech Form.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:17 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, unfortunately, contemporary corp philosophy says get a half baked product or service to market and solve problems later, maybe. Has anyone tried any of the cell phone tv capable services? Performance,cost? It all begs the question, if GPS works pretty consistantly, why not sat tv.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
Old 06-25-2006, 07:51 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all the input on receivers. I purchased a new in box Hughes model SD-HBH online from American Satellite.com. It seems to work well on my inverter, and Aux generater here at home. However it does lose its memory when not connected to power, and requires about a minute to reinstall programming and guide at each start up. The R-15 recording reciever that I have replaced with the Hughes was Directv brand, and was really bad. Had to call Directv several time to get it started after several days of not being connected to power. Sometimes required up to 6 minutes for it to re-program its memory after non use.
Folks at American Satellite, were helpful.
They also have a bargain basment that has re-conditioned and good, but freight damaged equipment. The receivers (I bought two), I purchased had a small dent in rear of case, but still had factory warranty. They were 19.95 plus shipping.

Dieselclacker
Old 06-25-2006, 09:42 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dieselclacker, Thanks for that. Our 4th Directv box required another reset this a.m.(8 in 11 days). Service being cancelled today, reverting to non-record box. I'll be trying laptop and external harddrive for recording. There are alternatives.

On edit, R15 service cancelled.

Would like to keep this thread going to include what services others use. Specifically those that provide tv, phone, wifi,etc as package. I'm going to look into ATT & Bell So. FWIW Vongo appears to offer downloadable flicks on a good monthly price. No dvds to mail.

Let's work this out.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison