Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2023, 06:15 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks all! We are not going to get rid of the dolly but we do go to a lot of places that we can use alternate transportation. Traveling with out dragging something behind you makes for an easier drive and a little better mpg. So this upcoming trip no toad.
CptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2023, 03:39 PM   #16

Maybe you are dragging the wrong thing around behind you, I know in our case when we tow my wife's 4300 pound Jeep Cherokee around I KNOW its back there and it cuts about 7-10 mph off my max comfortable driving speed. Whereas when we tow out 2300 pound Toyota Yaris I have to keep the rearview camera on to know it is still back there. I am not saying that the Toyota Yaris has no effect on the motorhome handling, but I will say pavement condition, cross winds, etc. have a much great effect.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 11:26 AM   #17

Well,
You can *Plan* things out to the nth degree but, if one thing goes south, like a $10 part in the motorhome causes it to shut down and you're in the middle of nowhere, and it could be quite a bit of time not only to get it fixed but even getting the part(s). We've been stranded a time or two and it's no fun. WE won't depend on ANYONE (including uber) for our ability to go anywhere or do anything outside of our camp spot. The coach get's the same 6.5 - 7.0 mpg towing as it does without towing. Hooking up and unhooking is so second nature that we both can do it blind folded and takes us around 1 or so minutes for either operation.

This is a choice thing. We've been stranded without a toad, NEVER AGAIN!
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 04:08 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
We stayed there last April coming home from Sun Valley, ID. The park is nice (adequate) but I would not plan on public transportation. No groceries near by. Uber is your best bet for getting around... It's about 20 minutes to the strip or downtown. Once you are there in the park, you don't really need a car if you are Uber(able)..
troberts23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 04:42 PM   #19

We did the Western swing tour to Yellowstone and looped around to AZ, NV, UT, NM and spent a month with no TOAD in our 38ft DP. Never suffered a hardship, only a mild inconvenience every now and again. Rented cars in several spots where we spent some time, always Enterprise. We had a grand time and would do it that way again. Also have an E-bike that is very useful for retrieving a few supplies - my bike bag is big enough for a handle of Titos. One memorable spot was an RV park in Rawlins WY that will let you use their Suburban for running errands, etc. We used it for a trip to WM and topped off the fuel before returning it.
jimnlo1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 05:30 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No TOAD

No toad, no way!
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:08 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptBill View Post
Thanks for the replies. We don't much care for the strip so I think the other stuff(like the mob museum)is all walking distance. Getting to and from the Grand Canyon would be the only questionable thing if we choose to venture there form Vegas. One other thing that bothers me at all is being stranded in the middle of no where but then again we wouldn't leave the motorhome just sitting by the road and self protection is always at hand.
That is what cell phones are for. Just hope the MH doesn't die in an area you don't have cell coverage. For that, you need the newest Apple phone which has emergency satellite messaging.
Old 03-19-2023, 06:22 PM   #22

As a retired military guy, there's an axiom: It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. What if there's an emergency of any sort?
Old 03-19-2023, 06:31 PM   #23

There is so little downside to pulling a toad why would you risk needing it and not having it on that long of trip? My MPG difference with and without is pretty miniscule and I'm much more comfortable with the redundancy of not only having the toad (but also a motorcycle carried on the back of the toad). Do we use it at every stop? No. But we did have one trip where we had a minor issue with the motorhome and thanks to UPS not living up to an overnight part delivery we had two unexpected nights in Los Cruces. We used the toad and went to two state parks while waiting and had a wonderful time. The peace of mind by having the toad is priceless in my experience. Especially when I've read posts of the horror stories of people being stuck on the shoulder of a interstate for 8 hours waiting for their roadside assistance plan to get a service or tow truck to them.
Bob.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:42 PM   #24

The flip side of this is it is a lot easier to make spur of the moment stops on travel days without a TOAD, particularly with a smaller motorhome
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:01 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Had the AC compressor seize and break the serpentine belt (only 1 belt on engine). Pulled over, unhooked Jeep, drove to NAPA, bought a shorter belt to bypass compressor (had extra replacement belt with me), installed it, and was back on the road in under an hour total. This was on a Sunday. Doubtful road service would have had the correct belt with them and been able to get me moving again in under an hour for just the $68 price of the belt.

If I can fit in a parking lot without the toad, I can fit in with it. The Jeep tracks inside of my tag axle, so if I can get the MH around a turn, the Jeep will make it too.

In my experience, those that travel without a toad have smaller MHs and less capacity and power; making dragging a toad more of a hassle. I can't even tell the Jeep is behind, but it's less than 10% of the weight of the MH.
Old 03-19-2023, 08:28 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We store our RV in LV and start and stop all of our trips from there, and I really don't get the advantage of not having a toad. We like exploring the area outside LV, which is not really Uber friendly. FYI for business I spent a lot of time in LV, and find the experience to be a lot less than it used to be. Just Sayen, and have fun no matter what!
Gman1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:34 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is my mantra about everything! Love hearing it from someone else!
Gman1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:43 AM   #28

Spartan Chassis
Sans toad makes life simple

We have a 40' coach and have never had a toad. I can get around just about anywhere a car can go and parking has never been a problem. We did get a Uber once to get to the San Diego Zoo from our campground and back. I can parallel park and never have problems finding and parking at a campground, Walmart, or Lowes Lumberyard. Home is in Charleston, SC and this year is a 20,000 mile trip to the Artic Circle in Alaska. We typically travel four or five months a year (15,000 miles) but this year we'll be traveling about seven months. In addition to the hassle to hook and unhook a toad there is also the consideration for backing up and lower gas mileage. Sorry this has gotten too long.

Van 40' 2008 Newmar Ventana
No Toad
VanK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad