Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #1

DIY Awning Extension Project

I decided to add an awning extension to my Carefree main awning. I wanted a bit more sun protection and privacy. Screen cuts the available light by about 40% (depending on the weave). This project is applicable to nearly any awning on any type RV so everything described is rather general. My goal was to make a screen that was wide enough to fit nearly the entire awning width and long enough to "almost" reach the ground with the awning in the position I use most ... for me, that's about 8 ft from the roller to the ground. I'm 6'3" so your preferred height might be different. It hangs from the accessory slot in my awning roller.

The project costs about $100 depending on size and what you can scrounge for free.

Photos are in a PhotoBucket Album and the text is here. The Photos aren't in sequence so just rummage around and you'll get the idea.

All the parts were from Home Depot and WalMart (except thread from fabric store).

If you can't sew, or find someone that can, your project is done !!

Tools you will need:

1) a stout sewing machine ... if it can mend jeans it's fine.
2) grommet tool with some (you'll probably need more) grommets (Home Depot).
3) hammer.
4) utility scissors or utility knife.

Parts you will need:

1) a roll of screen that meets your needs for width and length (my roll was 96" X 25').
2) extra grommets.
3) a spool of "Outdoor UV resistant thread" ... commonly used for outdoor furniture cushions (JoAnn's Fabrics ... about $6).
4) Camco party light holders or similar.
5) Ball bungees.
6) Adjustable bungees in a length of about 4'.
7) sturdy tent stakes.
8) wine bags (I get 1 for free with every 4 bottles at Publix Supermarket).

Start by figuring out how high you want the awning and how close to the ground you want it to hang. My height was 8 ft. so I needed a 96" width roll of screen. Due to hemming you'll lose about 2". The total width of my awning (front to back) is 20' but the slot in the roller is about 19'. I decided to make my screen 18 1/2' ... a little gap on each end.

So, I cut my screen to 18 1/2' plus 2" ... 18' 8".

Double hem each side about 1/2" ... this means fold the fabric about 1/2" (on the 96" side) and stitch it ... I use a tight zig-zag. Fold it again and stitch again. This will leave a hem with 3 layers of screen (at the edge) on each 96" side.

Double hem the top and bottom about 2". This will create a wide hem of 3 layers to carry the grommets at the top and bottom. The total remaining height of the awning will now be about 7' 4" (96" minus (2,2,2,2)). This allows a drop at the roller for hanging hardware and a few inches gap at the bottom so it doesn't drag.

Install your grommets ... I used 10 one top and 10 on the bottom. I installed 2 with closer spacing at each corner. This is to allow a sideways bungee at each corner for tension.

Have a beer ... you just spent about 3 hours sewing.

It's time to hang the screen. I used Camco party light holders, Quick clips, and ball bungees to attach to my awning roller slot. See the pics ... you'll get the idea. The holders and Quick clips allow fast and easy removal in the event of a storm. Spin the nuts and slip the bungees from the clips in about 2 minutes or less. Drop the screen, roll up the awning, slip the screen under the RV, get out of the storm!

Now we''ll get to the anchoring. Depending on the angle you want the screen, and whether you are on dirt/sand or concrete, you'll use the tent stakes and adjustable bungees ... or, (I know you were wondering) the wine bags filled with sand/rock.

You can't have too many wine bags ... they are made of recycled materials and eventually fall apart. I use them to weight all kinds of stuff and to store stuff.

Awning Extension Project Photos by bdkolber | Photobucket

I'm very happy with mine. it's easily adaptable to any size ... you can add end panels if you like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3083826.jpg
Views:	1074
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	57760  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #2

Very interesting, what kind of screen did you use? Aluminum or nylon?

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pddgm View Post
Very interesting, what kind of screen did you use? Aluminum or nylon?
Nylon ... 18 X 14 mesh

Phifer 96 in. x 25 ft. Charcoal Fiberglass Screen 18x14 Mesh-3003400 at The Home Depot
Old 03-09-2014, 04:49 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ours looks about the same except that it's black and when hanging you can barely see the coach on the other side of it. It's also 19' x 8' and slides into the track on the awning rail. A couple here in FL make them and ours was $90 plus the bungees and stakes which we purchased at the flea market. They use the same material that is used on the window sun shades. It sure gives some privacy, cuts down on the heat and gives you and extra patio room to enjoy.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Ours looks about the same except that it's black and when hanging you can barely see the coach on the other side of it. It's also 19' x 8' and slides into the track on the awning rail. A couple here in FL make them and ours was $90 plus the bungees and stakes which we purchased at the flea market. They use the same material that is used on the window sun shades. It sure gives some privacy, cuts down on the heat and gives you and extra patio room to enjoy.

Thanks, yes ... you can use various weave density materials for the screen. I chose 18 X 14 but my house windows have 20 X 20 no-see-um screens. Sunblock screening is even denser with a flat weave. Mostly, it's a tradeoff between the amount of light vs. loss of ventilation ... tough choice. Having lived in Florida for over 20 years, and owning homes with pools, I've actually used different densities in different panels of the pool enclosure to meet different needs (privacy/ventilation/sun protection). If you make your own, the actual screening costs between $40 and $80 depending on the product. Stakes and bungees add about $30.

The price for yours was quite reasonable considering the labor.

I chose to hang mine from party light holders to facilitate quick disconnect in bad weather.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:35 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Thanks, yes ... you can use various weave density materials for the screen. I chose 18 X 14 but my house windows have 20 X 20 no-see-um screens. Sunblock screening is even denser with a flat weave. Mostly, it's a tradeoff between the amount of light vs. loss of ventilation ... tough choice. Having lived in Florida for over 20 years, and owning homes with pools, I've actually used different densities in different panels of the pool enclosure to meet different needs (privacy/ventilation/sun protection). If you make your own, the actual screening costs between $40 and $80 depending on the product. Stakes and bungees add about $30.

The price for yours was quite reasonable considering the labor.

I chose to hang mine from party light holders to facilitate quick disconnect in bad weather.
Yes, mine has a rubber insert in the top that travels thru the awning tube channel. It's not hard to install but the material is quite heavy. I'd say the screen weighs about 30 - 35 pounds when folded up. The couple that do the work are here for the winter months. They come from Canada and work in the various parks around the area. There rates are very affordable and they do a lot of roll out awning replacements over the slideouts along with these shades, window covers, and tire covers. . They keep plenty busy and make a few extra $$$ which suppliments there stay here and there's nothing wrong with that. Thanks for sharing your article.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Yes, mine has a rubber insert in the top that travels thru the awning tube channel. It's not hard to install but the material is quite heavy. I'd say the screen weighs about 30 - 35 pounds when folded up. The couple that do the work are here for the winter months. They come from Canada and work in the various parks around the area. There rates are very affordable and they do a lot of roll out awning replacements over the slideouts along with these shades, window covers, and tire covers. . They keep plenty busy and make a few extra $$$ which suppliments there stay here and there's nothing wrong with that. Thanks for sharing your article.
Good for them !! There's no shortage of worn out awnings ...

Thanks for your comments!
Old 03-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I did the same thing a few years ago. I ordered white 80 per cent shade from Pak Unlimited in Georgia and they shipped it to me in the exact length that I specified with grommets on one foot centers on both long sides. I hold it in the track with S hooks and stake it in the ground with ground anchors. It also holds the canopy down in strong winds.

Bart Anderson
Old 03-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart anderso View Post
I did the same thing a few years ago. I ordered white 80 per cent shade from Pak Unlimited in Georgia and they shipped it to me in the exact length that I specified with grommets on one foot centers on both long sides. I hold it in the track with S hooks and stake it in the ground with ground anchors. It also holds the canopy down in strong winds.

Bart Anderson

Sounds nice ... got any pics??
Old 03-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #10

Or there's this for under $20: RV Awning Shade Net 10' X 16'
Old 03-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
Or there's this for under $20: RV Awning Shade Net 10' X 16'

Yes ... but the gauge and mesh are unspecified ... and it's actually $29 shipped. Still not bad though and probably worth a shot.

This is a more realistic comparison at $102 shipped:
19 x 7 Black RV Awning Shade Drop Shade Area Under Awning 7' Drop | eBay

Tags
awning