Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Rate your DIY skills
Don't DIY - no background, or no interest, or no time. I Pay others. 2 0.91%
D - Minor fixes, washing, waxing, top sealing, tire pressure, paint touchup 23 10.50%
C - Oil changes, belts, shocks, filters, battery replace, bulbs, minor engine repair 124 56.62%
B - Full engine / trans repair, body work, paint, 12 volt repair, All component replacements 56 25.57%
A - Diagnostics of all systems including CAN / RV-C, Frame collision repair, Overall paint. 11 5.02%
Not interested in survey participation 3 1.37%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2019, 05:57 AM   #29

New to owning a MH. But big diy. Any diy. Electric. Pluming, I took an entire vw bug apart to restore it.

I think you must be a handy person to own a MH. Unless you just throw money at it.
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 08:00 AM   #30

From my personal experience, looks like the survey is truly forum slanted. No way are 40% of the people I meet in campgrounds "B" technicians. Far less. I would say 10% max is my experience (maybe less). The descriptions in the thread indicate that there certainly are some good B techs here, but it seems only the more advanced DIY'rs are participating in the thread or the silent posters are giving themselves a bit too much credit for their skills
Or, this forum caters to strong DIYrs and don't represent the typical RV'r (likely).

Thinking maybe I should have put 12volt repair in the C category...my original thought was the ability to diagnose ALL 12 volt issues across the various systems including invertor, battery Aux, disconnects, generator, and verging towards instrument panel (for non CAN based gauges). If you were brought to an RV where all the wires off the batteries and they were unmarked...could you determine which wire goes where by figuring out their role...

Next time you are at the campfire, ask all those adults (both sexes) around the circle when was the last time they rebuilt a DP engine or trans or knew how to.

What I have found is there are more non DIY'rs than are posting, and that there are a ton of "D" DIY'rs. Rapidly falling off to A's.

But that's the problem with surveys on forums...now someone will quote the results in a way that suits their argument

And for the responder that posted "Don't participate in Surveys"...Thank you for your participation
Old 04-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #31

I believe that your poll results will be skewed toward a audience that uses computers and seeks DIYS info on RV maintenance.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:28 PM   #32

Whelp... I like DIY... it's usually been restricted to things around the house. DIY 'ing the RV is new.

However, it costs more than I can afford to have someone else work on it. So, I'm learning to trace wires, disconnect BS wires, track a bad wire, install an isolator and regulator, track down a short in a fuse, seal some windows, track down and resolve a major roof leak... Fun stuff like that
MoonLyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:38 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Another thread posted here in the last day or two was lamenting that snobbery and elitism seem to have invaded the heretofore all inclusive and accepting nature of RVing in the form of criticizing - and in some cases excluding - those who have the audacity to own and enjoy the "lower" classes of RVs.

After reading all the posts in this thread I can't help but feel this is another effort to categorize and sometimes criticize those who can or cannot maintain their RVs, or have the means to have it done for them.

I am truly impressed with the skills, training, and accomplishments of several who have posted here and the willingness of some to periodically share their knowledge and experience, but what is the ultimate purpose of this survey?
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:51 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
Another thread posted here in the last day or two was lamenting that snobbery and elitism seem to have invaded the heretofore all inclusive and accepting nature of RVing in the form of criticizing - and in some cases excluding - those who have the audacity to own and enjoy the "lower" classes of RVs.

After reading all the posts in this thread I can't help but feel this is another effort to categorize and sometimes criticize those who can or cannot maintain their RVs, or have the means to have it done for them.

I am truly impressed with the skills, training, and accomplishments of several who have posted here and the willingness of some to periodically share their knowledge and experience, but what is the ultimate purpose of this survey?
First, if you read any of my prior threads, I am an extreme DIY'r. I love to discuss hands on topics with friends, family and neighbors. So, the intent certainly was not to belittle those that have the skills. It was really to showcase them and learn how people got the skills.

It is also an opportunity to discuss not wanting to DIY. There is always a good reason. Some of those reasons might even be funny to hear. My dad didn't know the difference between a hammer and a screwdriver. But he was world class in his specialty. And that's a good foundation on why I got good at it starting at 3 replacing a toilet bowl seat my parents couldn't figure out. At least that's the story they told me...

From there I was leaned on to fix / repair / build just about everything. This week, a friend asked help to remove a house wall, do the electrical, move the HVAC plenum, put in a floor and do the trim (finally done!). Another friend crashed his new laptop PC and I had to restore the operating system. Another was over yesterday and I rebuilt the clogged carbs on his jet boat prepping it for the summer. Today going to Easter with family and one of the family members did some DIY CAD work for me designing a 3D printed part for my work that we for sure will discuss. He has taught me lots about CAD.

So, no ill intent at all. It's the stories that make us us that is interesting.
If the survey was accurate (which I don't think it is), then this group is WAY more DIY proficient than "the real world". Which in itself is interesting. I do believe it is more proficient, just not to the level the survey is indicating based on all other posts read.

So, what's your story? Do you DIY? if so, does living in Alaska help or make that more difficult? Can you get parts easy enough? Are Alaskans more self reliant? If you don't DIY, is it easy to find people / business that can work on your stuff?
Old 04-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #35

"A mans got to know his limitations!" Dirty Harry
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #36

I wasn't a choice in the poll. I would consider myself an advanced intermediate. The is very little above the basement I won't tackle.

I draw the line at internal engine, transmission and drive line. In my younger days I would do brakes and things but I am too old to be horsing an RV tire around.

And have found these forums to be my friend. I have learned that I am rarely the first person to break something or have something break. If I can't figure it out I know somebody else already has.
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm a serious DIY guy for the most part. However, yes you have to know your limitations. Also, a lot of it has to do with having the proper tools for the job. For instance, I, like the previous poster, have no business working with 22" tires. I don't have the equipment, and at my age, all I'd do is throw my back out. Similarly, I have no desire to pull the engine or tranny and do an overhaul. I'll change plugs and wires, diagnose a misfire, and those sorts of things. But I'm not into internal engine work anymore. I'll tackle most anything on the coach including the Nocold refer on which I have done plenty of work. (And I might add, it now runs at 0 and 34 deg on a 5 setting ). Tinkering with the coach is my hobby. I love making improvement and updates to it.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I fall between C and B. I have R&R'd an Onan generation and overhauled it. I have repaired dash AC. Replaced brake parts. RV body repair, and painting. Window replacing and tinting. Roofing and lots of 12 volt wiring! I have not repaired anything inside the engine of trans.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #39

I put myself into the full engine repair category, even though I don't have the knowledge myself. I have a great friend who rvs with us who is a 45 year diesel mechanic. With our crowd, there isn't much that cant get fixed. We have changed a transmission in a parking lot, radiators at a beach, on and on and on. Great person to travel with. Having that much mechanical experience travelling with you sure is a bonus. He has helped my with both of my class A rvs. Without the extra assistance, I would be back down in the change oil, filters, and belts category. I have some skills as I am a tradesman, but certainly not a mechanic.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:33 PM   #40
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
When young trying to build a bank savings account. Remember those back in the fifties? I was a DIY big time on anything. You had to do that to get ahead money wise.

Today when anything needs to be serviced. Be that RV, house, car or property. I am fortunate enough to be able to pick what I think I can do without bodily harm or physically beyond my limits today.

As an example, there are no Maytag repairmen today. My dishwasher stopped spraying from the bottom. The repair guy took it apart. I looked at it and none of the replacement parts I bought the last time I worked on it years ago would fix it. So a new one is on its way here. He pretended to have no clue that there is a valve not working. But ya know what? After 28 years it is time for a new one. The motor was starting to squeal a bit.

Still a DTY guy at heart.
NRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:12 PM   #41

This survey doesn't take into account the fact that half of an rv is basically like a house. It has wiring, plumbing, heating etc. Some people may be comfortable working on the house aspects, yet not the type to tear down an engine, or diagnose a mechanical problem.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:51 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I put myself into the full engine repair category, even though I don't have the knowledge myself. I have a great friend who rvs with us who is a 45 year diesel mechanic. With our crowd, there isn't much that cant get fixed. We have changed a transmission in a parking lot, radiators at a beach, on and on and on. Great person to travel with. Having that much mechanical experience travelling with you sure is a bonus. He has helped my with both of my class A rvs. Without the extra assistance, I would be back down in the change oil, filters, and belts category. I have some skills as I am a tradesman, but certainly not a mechanic.
Ok, Team Score = B
I like those kind of crowds.

Tags
diy