Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Rate your DIY skills
Don't DIY - no background, or no interest, or no time. I Pay others. 2 0.91%
D - Minor fixes, washing, waxing, top sealing, tire pressure, paint touchup 23 10.50%
C - Oil changes, belts, shocks, filters, battery replace, bulbs, minor engine repair 124 56.62%
B - Full engine / trans repair, body work, paint, 12 volt repair, All component replacements 56 25.57%
A - Diagnostics of all systems including CAN / RV-C, Frame collision repair, Overall paint. 11 5.02%
Not interested in survey participation 3 1.37%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2019, 06:52 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bixler2 View Post
Cliffy - Thank you for your many years of service. I have been a first responder for many years as well as 35 year in the fire service as a volunteer. Nothing more satisfying than the patient making it to the hospital. I think it is definitely time for you to kick back and relax. Enjoy the sites, the people, and what ever liquid beverage sounds the best at the time.
My sincere thanks to both of you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #58

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
DIYer.

I've always been handy with a wrench, but with an expensive 5th wheel I mistakenly thought all repairs should be done by a factory authorized shop. The problem is the shops I've been going to are so sloppy and expensive that I've had to learn how to fix stuff on my own. It's a reverse of what used to happen; the shop 'fixes' the issue and then I have to fix it again it after I pay for crappy repairs or repairs that seem not done at all....and I'm talking brand name dealers who I won't mention at this point. I have a 2015 Cedar Creek FL touring edition, and almost every time we travel in it, we have a 'new' problem, so I've learned so much about keeping this unit in livable shape it's amazing. We love the RV and always get so many compliments about it, inside and out, but boy it is frustrating.
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #59

Now. Knowing how and wanting to do is a horse of a different color I can do most anything but at 71 my want to is gone. Now pay for most services.
Wayneq85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:45 AM   #60

I will work on most everything except the core engine (like the manifold replacements). I have a great guy (and now his son) that do all of my major work because he owes it for $50/hr! Everything in the coach and as an add on I am willing to tackle including fridge replacement, gas lines, electrical, etc.

All I know is that if I run into something I don’t know that I usually can find help here on this site!

1998 Georgie Boy Swinger/2005 Jeep Liberty
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rjreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:06 AM   #61

Don't DIY - no background, or no interest, or no time. I Pay others. 2 1.13%

D - Minor fixes, washing, waxing, top sealing, tire pressure, paint touchup 21 11.86%

C - Oil changes, belts, shocks, filters, battery replace, bulbs, minor engine repair 97 54.80%

B - Full engine / trans repair, body work, paint, 12 volt repair, All component replacements 49 27.68%

Have done all of the above - BUT - That was in the past - Hopefully I've become smart enough to avoid Full Component repair, Now.

A - Diagnostics of all systems including CAN / RV-C, Frame collision repair, Overall paint. 6 3.39%

I still think I am into the Diagnostics - but will avoid Collision repair and Overall Paint, while "I still think I Can" I'm smart enough to not get that deeply involved - Did it before (Complete Rebuild of my old GMC, classic, after I wore it out.) would much rather spend time now in the Mountains, with the Granddaughters

So while I have rebuilt my share of Motors and Transmissions trucks and RV's - I feel I've graduated to Diagnostic level and not Wrench turning levels anymore .

Need a few more levels or + (plus) or - (minus) to the levels shown. Some sort of Combination works better for Me.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:33 AM   #62

"Need a few more levels or + (plus) or - (minus) to the levels shown. Some sort of Combination works better for Me."

yes, the industry ASE group uses 8 categories for "Master Certified"

Engine Repair.
Automatic Trans/Transaxle.
Manual Drive Train and Axles.
Suspension and Steering.
Brakes.
Electrical/Electrical Systems.
Heating & Air Conditioning.
Engine Performance.

Then, within each are A-D skill levels.

Then, there is Paint and Body which is a whole different set of tests.

Then, there is Diesel / Heavy Duty truck which is another set...

So, for the simplicity of a forum survey, I took liberties of combining. It doesn't need to be scientific. I think it has served the purpose of gauging the general skill levels out there. I still think there are way more non DIY'rs out there. Maybe skill D was described a little too basic.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #63

I guess I would give myself a B- on the DYI scale.

My approach is if I can fix it I will. If I don't kniw how I look to YouTube and then fix myself. RV dealer or tech as a last resort.

Reason is mainly lack of trust in RV dealers, the fact that I have the tools and some skills and the long delays and travel time to a dealer are a pain.

I have a 2018 Hurricanes 29M just about to roll off warranty. All issues I handled myself regardless.

I feel highly confident in handling plumbing, electric (AC and DC), roof maintenance, etc.

My weakness is probably engine and drive train, but I still have the Ford warranty. I do my own oil changes and lubs. What I can't do I get my son (mechanic) to look at.

Note: now that I have said all of this, I'm sure I'm about to find some big issue that I can't do myself :-)
Old 04-27-2019, 04:56 PM   #64

I think you left a big gap between C and B. I can pull components off an engine i.e. heads, intake and exhaust maniforlds, etc. I can also pull an transmission. But I can't overhaul/repair them. Most backyard mechanics also don't do body and paint.
So I am a B-/C+.

Now, if I had DavL living nextdoor with his shop and work pit.....
Old 04-27-2019, 09:16 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
I think you left a big gap between C and B. I can pull components off an engine i.e. heads, intake and exhaust maniforlds, etc. I can also pull an transmission. But I can't overhaul/repair them. Most backyard mechanics also don't do body and paint.
So I am a B-/C+.

Now, if I had DavL living nextdoor with his shop and work pit.....
Half the fun is getting stuck and having to step up and McGyver a solution without the shop and lifts: Just two days ago, had my buddy and his Wrangler take my jet ski to get it's first tank of fuel for the season. At the station the trailer started to clank. Pushed on the wheel and sure enough the bearing was gone.

Right around the block was Autozone and they had two sets of the right bearings. Changed them in Autozone parking lot with a screwdriver, a cheezy hammer, and a pair of too small pliers. Used the Jeep jack to lift the axle. Bought some grease at Autozone too. McDonalds napkins to clean the hub of grease. 20 minutes later back on the road.

When it works out you feel you got something done.

Made me feel so guilty on my lack of maintenance, I cleaned and greased up three other trailer axles when I got home.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:52 AM   #66

Country Coach Owners Club
Know your Limitations

I'm a new member to this site, so this is my first posting.

In my humble opinion I would rate myself an A. I have been a licenced heavy duty mechanic for 36 years working for a large oil field service company, Schlumberger. I spent my first 15 years in field and maintenance shop facilities around the world from the canadian high arctic to the deserts of the middle east working on trac machines to 250klbs wheeled equipment. The last 16 years of my career was spent working in the product centers where our custom equipment was designed, manufactured and commissioned to our field locations. In this position I was maining working with management, engineering , manufacturing and suppliers ALWAYS focusing on equiment improvements, reliability, design for maintainability and total cost of ownership.

I retired in 2016 and purchased a 1999 Country Coach Allure to travel from Houston to eastern Canada to spend 3-5 months at my cottage. I had to buy a motor home in order to travel with my dogs. Currently have 2 old english mastiffs and a mongrel terrier.

The trip is 2585 miles one way and we usually do it in 4-6 days. We've done the round trip 4 times and so far, no breakdowns. Getting ready to leave first week in June. Every year I have a long list of improvements to do before the next trip. My upgrade list completed is to long for discussion on the thread.

In summary, As far as DIY, always know your limitations. This includes knowledge, work facilities and proper tooling. Nothing worst than asking a shop to repair your equipment after it has been taken apart and arrives in pieces. This usually costs much much more.
mwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:41 AM   #67

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
If I can fix it I will and I have fixed most everything on this rig so far. If I can't figure out something, like my exhaust brake, I take it to someone else to figure it out - and then it was me that had to figure it out still.
Was experiencing an engine warning light and had the codes checked. The mechanic told me to get an appointment with Freightliner for further diagnosis and repair. My previous experience with them is to be prepared for a long wait then open your wallet. I took the codes online and found what I thought was the most likely solution, turbo speed sensor replacement. Since I was going to have the valve cover gasket replaced, I told the mechanic to order the sensor and replace it at the same time. After they had the coach for a few hours my phone rang, mechanic calling, my heart jumps ( they never have called with good news) and he told my my gamble paid off. Moral to my story is use the internet, YouTube extensively. You need to have some knowledge of what could be wrong or be prepared to pay big time for someone else to do the same research. Good luck and safe travels.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #68

Forest River Owners Club
According to the descriptions I would say I am a B+ or A - ... I started life working on a farm where I learned to listen & observe,
and then fix the problem to keep the machinery going if at all possible. In later years I have rebuilt engines, done body work,
brake jobs, carbs, & all kinds of electrical repair. Installed baseplates, aux braking systems, tow wiring, etc. I have a couple of classic vehicles I do just about anything on. I have done woodwork & other interior repairs in my coach. I can normally figure out pretty much anything if I want to. Now that I am in my late 60's the are some things I just don't want to do myself. I can pretty much diagnose it myself and in most cases know what the fix is, but some work I will leave to the younger pros simply because I don't want to endure the physical pain required to do it myself.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:39 PM   #69

A-
Vocational school for Auto Mechanics rather than standard high school.
US Navy -
Engineman-A & B, Propulsion & Engineering, ACR Air Cond & Refrigeration systems certificates
Sat for SAE Journeyman Mechanics Certificate in 1971 while in the Navy and aced it. The program was halted later that year before I could sit for Masters Certificate but was confident I would pass.

That was the start of my education and experience.... I went on to BS Computer Science and numerous technical certifications.

A lifetime of working in fields of Technology & Engineering along with maintaining some connectivity with the automotive community by building, driving, supporting racecars in multiple venues - most recently SCCA Production classes.

Now I’m semi retired and run a small (1 man band) Rod Shop where I build and support various racecars and street rods. My wife and I make seasonal migrations North in the spring and south in the fall - basically enjoying our “Endless Summer”. Well as long as our health allows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7414C2D2-8256-4613-97EF-C09F88E713EB.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	246235  
Old 05-17-2019, 05:47 AM   #70

Nice Dash - Big-Foot! When are you going to mod your Thor's dash?

Ok, only 2 Non DIY'rs? What's your story? Anymore of you out there that haven't responded? Can't believe there are only 1% that could care less of doing all that work.

Tags
diy