Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2022, 06:19 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
6 yr. old subject, no save your money and buy fuel..........Enjoy!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2022, 06:20 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
And...... WELCOME TO irv-2!!!!
Old 06-05-2022, 07:06 PM   #45
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Every time fuel goes up the air tab posts come out. Waste of time and money.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 02:57 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMiller View Post
I have recently heard about a product called Air Tabs which are supposed to improve the handling of your RV on windy days and reduce the push effect of big trucks passing you? Has anyone installed this product that can offer some end user feedback?

Thx,
No they do nothing to improve fuel mileage. My SIL is maintenance manager for a nationwide trucking company. He said when they came out his company commissioned a wind-tunnel study (at the facilities of the INDY 500) of all available aftermarket products to improve fuel mileage. The air tabs did not affect fuel mileage. The only things that did were the "wings" that bolt on under a semi-trailer..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:21 PM   #47

I think someone was feeding your SIL a line...

IMS has no wind tunnel facilities. At the time that air tabs came out, the chassis were made by Lola, Reynard, G-force, and Dallara - all of which used wind tunnel facilities in England and Italy which are too small for a semi. There are only a couple of tunnels in the US still operating that are big enough for a semi and those are $$$$$$.

There are other ways to skin the cat - Chip Ganassi used to lease one of the old highway tunnels in Pennsylvania and do coast-down testing. Basically you instrument the car, run it up to speed, punch in the clutch and coast down to another speed. Do that with several configurations and you start to get an idea of what's going on.

Then there's sub-scale testing and CFD.

I wouldn't be surprised if DOT or even the state of CA funded a sub-scale wind tunnel study at a university. That's frequently the way they do things and use the results to set policy and regulation. If there was such a study, and it found measurable improvement, I'm sure the manufacturer would have that quoted on his website....

The web site does quote a lot a relevant NASA work on the subject in general - but nothing specific regarding his product. There's one article written by a guy with a sprinter van who took his vehicle to a "local college" with a wind tunnel. Well, once again, I'd be suspicious of this claim, especially because to do it right you have to do a lot if instrumentation design and setup, and it's not something a couple of guys are going to knock out in an afternoon.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:43 AM   #48

https://vorblade.com/howitworks/flat...ck-bus-or-van/

I ran across these. Totally different design than Air Tabs. I would be interested for crosswind and general handling improvements than fuel economy. If they did improve mpg it would be a bonus.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:04 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
Reducing your speed by 1-2 mph will have more effect on your mpg than these air tabs will ever have.
This is the correct answer

If you want to reduce/eliminate the push effect of big trucks passing you just install a rear trac bar. It's a DIY install and makes a huge difference.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WQQJHQ....1FUC3YMUOK6RD
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:56 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
I think someone was feeding your SIL a line...

IMS has no wind tunnel facilities. At the time that air tabs came out, the chassis were made by Lola, Reynard, G-force, and Dallara - all of which used wind tunnel facilities in England and Italy which are too small for a semi. There are only a couple of tunnels in the US still operating that are big enough for a semi and those are $$$$$$.

There are other ways to skin the cat - Chip Ganassi used to lease one of the old highway tunnels in Pennsylvania and do coast-down testing. Basically you instrument the car, run it up to speed, punch in the clutch and coast down to another speed. Do that with several configurations and you start to get an idea of what's going on.

Then there's sub-scale testing and CFD.

I wouldn't be surprised if DOT or even the state of CA funded a sub-scale wind tunnel study at a university. That's frequently the way they do things and use the results to set policy and regulation. If there was such a study, and it found measurable improvement, I'm sure the manufacturer would have that quoted on his website....

The web site does quote a lot a relevant NASA work on the subject in general - but nothing specific regarding his product. There's one article written by a guy with a sprinter van who took his vehicle to a "local college" with a wind tunnel. Well, once again, I'd be suspicious of this claim, especially because to do it right you have to do a lot if instrumentation design and setup, and it's not something a couple of guys are going to knock out in an afternoon.

You are right about size, they had a 1/8 scale model constructed to exact dimensions of a semi-tractor trailer for the wind tunnel testing.
No-one has ever produced any proof Air-Tabs actually increase fuel mileage.
That link proves their wind tunnel exists.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:09 PM   #51

People told me an air deflector wouldn’t do anything for my Excursion and TT. Well not only did I gain .5 mpg! I also got rid of 90% of the bugs splattered on the front of the TT!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB72F1ED-305D-4ADB-A250-6747DC46CC38.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	367654   Click image for larger version

Name:	F680B012-3169-40FA-ABCE-5D80FC181F29.png
Views:	33
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	367655  

Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 04:02 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
You are right about size, they had a 1/8 scale model constructed to exact dimensions of a semi-tractor trailer for the wind tunnel testing.
No-one has ever produced any proof Air-Tabs actually increase fuel mileage.
That link proves their wind tunnel exists.
I wasn't arguing that they work for fuel mileage, and in this thread and a couple of others, never have. I was making a point about full scale wind tunnel testing.

As you go that far sub-scale in wind tunnel testing it gets harder and harder to evaluate even smaller things like airtabs. The level of accuracy in the model, and even stuff like surface finish comes into play. That puts error into the measurements and soon error is bigger than the intended results.

Then, there's wind-tunnel vs real world. Wind tunnels are laminar flow. Airflow in traffic is not.

this is probably why you hear people talk more about stability benefits vs fuel mileage.

As I stated before - driving behind a semi in rain you can watch the vortexes shed from each side of the trailer and the wag that goes with it. You can also see this in the wake of some ships. Eliminate the big vortex and you'll get better stability.
Old 07-20-2022, 02:21 PM   #53

Is that claim about your deflector true and where did you get the deflector?

This is an old thread, so trying not to spin it up again.
Elzaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 02:45 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
People told me an air deflector wouldn’t do anything for my Excursion and TT. Well not only did I gain .5 mpg! I also got rid of 90% of the bugs splattered on the front of the TT!
https://youtu.be/GmIiRrlM7Ng

At about 7:00 he talks about this very setup you have and they think your setup is the best of the three.
Old 07-21-2022, 12:00 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
It makes sense that a wind deflector like the one you have mounted would make some difference. I have a small deflector on the hood of one of my Jeeps that really helps keep bug splatters off the windshield.

The product this thread is about is not the same. I doubt air tabs do much of anything except reduce the amount of cash a person has in their wallet.
Old 07-22-2022, 12:08 AM   #56

Good video. Thanks for sharing it.
Elzaar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs