Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2017, 06:37 AM   #1

Do bogie wheels work?

Help!, we are purchasing a 39ft Winnebago Destination out of state and have a bit of a sharp incline from the roadway into our driveway, needing 16.5inches to clear, it has 14 inches..the salesman stated, no problem, we will install a set of bogie wheels on the back of the mh so it won't drag.
Does anyone have experience, knowledge of these actually help without damaging the mh?
Blueseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #2

If you're writing about steel roller wheels welded to the chassis they do work provided they're placed lower than the lowest part of the chassis (usually somewhere near the hitch)
If you have a mud/rock guard hanging from beneath the coach behind the wheels, it will drag and probably break off.

Another method is to place 2 x 12 boards at the apex of the incline and drive over them thus making the incline less steep

Remember this, the salesman will tell you ANYTHING to get you to buy the coach.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #3
Commercial Member

remember that they put a severe strain on any weld joints where the frame is extended. they will also cause the frame to twist if one side is lower or higher than the other side.
yes, they work, sometimes too well.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #4

Since the driveway has traffic from other neighbors, can’t do the 2x12 but good info, and I’m savvy about salesmen��
Old 12-13-2017, 09:34 AM   #5

Don't discount the 2x12's just because you have neighbors. At my previous home, I parked my coach and enclosed trailer on the side of my home. I had to build some inclined curb jumpers so I could drive up over the curb. I kept them on a 2 wheel dolly and when I was done, I just picked them up and wheeled them back to my yard.
What I'm getting at is you don't need to leave the boards there permanently, just when you drive in and out of the driveway.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
remember that they put a severe strain on any weld joints where the frame is extended. they will also cause the frame to twist if one side is lower or higher than the other side.
yes, they work, sometimes too well.
An outstanding and accurate answer. Knowing the highly potential damage that could occur, I'd to what it takes to ramp up the rear tires for the transition. At least those tires, and that part of the frame etc. is designed to take angularity and off set loads.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #7

Not a motorhome, but I have a tow setup with triple receivers, and I run a big roller bar between the outer two receivers, and it has worked great. Better than an single wheel hitting on either side, I hope anyways.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:44 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My personal opinion, I would rather roll on a dolly wheel than drag the frame. Many say that the wheel will do damage.......what's the frame doing?

The issue is.....many install the wheels, adding another 2"- 4" of height, making the coach have to drag more. If you take some time and carefully install the wheels, you can make it so they only add about a 1/2".

Most RV's have the loop shaped double drag bars mounted at the rear, frame width apart. Rather than mount the wheels to the bottom of these bars, consider mounting them to a piece of square tubing. Take a piece of stout square tubing, a little wider than the width of the drag bars (frame width) and add the wheels to the square tubing ends. Mount the square tubing inside the drag bar loop and adjust the height so the wheels are just a 1/2" or so lower than the drag bars. U bolts can be used to attach the square tubing.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Is the coach air ride or on steel spring ride...IF air ride could "Raise" the coach to get clearances needed, steel spring ride not so much.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Is the coach air ride or on steel spring ride...IF air ride could "Raise" the coach to get clearances needed, steel spring ride not so much.
Well,
Maybe. You can only do that on certain air suspended coaches. Our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD is not capable of increasing ride height, even momentarily. But, based on a thread on here a short while ago, there are at least one brand/mfgr that has that feature designed into it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:24 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Yes they do work. Some years ago we had a 27' bumper pull and many times the wheels on the back saved our butt.
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:47 AM   #12

Smile

Thank you all for the input, much appreciated! The delivery date is drawing near, and we are going ahead with the bogie wheels. They are welding on a set of heavy duty ones at the lowest contact point behind the rear wheels, so we can only hope and pray at this point.