Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #1

Do I Winterize or Not ?!

Hello friends,
I’m leaving Florida to the Georgia and then Tennessee area for Christmas, and I’m curious to know what preventive measures should I take on winterizing my rig ‘as I’m traveling in it’. Or do I need too?!
I will be staying in a few hotels, and this is my first time taking it into 20 degree weather. As I live in Florida, I never had to winterize. Don't need any plumbing pipes etc to freeze up on me while parked.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Craig
2019 Orion 20cb
RVmotorosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2019, 11:51 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do you know if your rig has any type of basement heat either from the furnace or small cube heat.

I lived in our coach during 2017 winter while building our house in East TN. I do have a small 300 watt heater in my wet bay and also set up another cube heater on a thermostat to keep the basement above freezing. Ran a small cube heater in the front of the coach and in the AM would sometimes kick on the furnace if was cold.

You could accomplish the same thing with a couple 100 watt lights but would have to run generator for the power.

Buy a remote thermostat to know what temps you are seeing and act accordingly.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
As a matter of preference, my number 1 rule is when in doubt, winterize! With that said, if my final destination were not in a below freezing area and I only had to worry about travel, I would at least blow all of the lines out with air... don't forget dish washer, clothes washer, and refrigerator if those items apply.
DeWat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #4

Craig, welcome to the forum.
Best is to search for a topic to see if it's a new discussion.
If not (99% of the time) read other posts.
If not aligned with the question at hand, then post a new topic.

This one gets discussed every week in a new thread with winter onslaught. So should be really easy to find.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:15 PM   #5

I’ll be driving up from Florida. Staying in Georgia for 2 days (I’m sure I’ll be fine) then headed to Nashville TN. That’s where I’ll leave it parked at a hotel for 4 nights. So my concern is those 4 nights, I can’t run a gen or get any power source. Wondering how should I leave it sitting. I never winterized before, living in Florida.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Leaving the rig parked with no power source and not knowing what the weather will be I'd say winterize.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:55 PM   #7

IMO.....leave the motorhome in florida and rent a awd vehicle.
You can prep and winterize a motorhome all you want. What you cant control is weather and road conditions.
Motorhome tires are not winter tires they are summer. Great for water run off but not snow and ice.
We are in myrtle beach until jan. 15th. Leaving this monday to go back to michigan for zmas with kids and grand kids. Coach staying here and taking the jeep.
There no way i would drive the coach back up there now
DonB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Leaving the rig parked with no power source and not knowing what the weather will be I'd say winterize.

I think I’m going to do that while parked. Never had to winterize before. What procedure would you suggest , when I leave it parked for 4 days at this hotel?

I appreciate the guidance.

Craig
Old 12-16-2019, 11:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
As a matter of preference, my number 1 rule is when in doubt, winterize! With that said, if my final destination were not in a below freezing area and I only had to worry about travel, I would at least blow all of the lines out with air... don't forget dish washer, clothes washer, and refrigerator if those items apply.

Thanks. I’m going to do that. What steps do I take to winterize it while I’m parked at a hotel? I never had to winterize before. I seen some fresh water take ‘antifreeze’ wondering if that is the procedure?!
I’d hate to have a line crack on me.

Thanks
Craig
Old 12-16-2019, 06:21 PM   #10

Ok Craig. Find your low point drain(s) and open them. Remove drain from water heater. Buy one of these and after draining everything, close the low point drains, put this in your city water connection, and connect your compressor set to 25psi. Open each faucet one at a time, starting furtherest and let the air blow out the residual water. If you have an ice maker, you want to blow that line out and then shut it off.
After all excess water has been blown out of the lines, pump the pink RV antifreeze through the lines until you have it in all lines. This should also put some in your drains.... if not pour some in each drain.
Drain black and Grey water tanks and leave them empty, valves open.
Takes 2 gallons of pink RV antifreeze for our 34 ft Class C.
This is the generic version on '"winterizing".

Heavy Duty RV and Camper Winterizing Blowout Plug Quick Connect Air Compressor | Easy Grip | Commercial Grade | Quick Connect Brass Fitting to Winterize Boats Motorhomes |Travel Trailers |Garden Hoses https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MYNG249..._VQc-DbNVPDS7C
Old 12-17-2019, 06:37 AM   #11
NXR

There also are other considerations for the water heater. If it's electric like a Suburban, you need to open its access panel and turn the rocker switch in the lower left off. The 120 VAC electric heater may be powered on all the time otherwise. As soon as you drain the water heater you'll burn out the heating element otherwise.

You really need to go through the manual for your unit for specifics. You'll probably get more specific help over here: Coachmen Motorhomes - Forest River Forums

Your iRV2 username and password will work on that forum as well.

Ray
Old 12-17-2019, 06:52 AM   #12

Take a small portable air compressor. After the last night's camping dump your tanks and blow the lines out with air (max 40 psi). Open all faucets until the water is blown out. Maybe carry a gallon of pink stuff to pour a cup in the drains. This should keep you safe for a few days at temps in the 20s without having to worry about heat. Done it a bunch of times.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #13

The lowest predicted temp for Nashville for the next 7 days is 38 with highs of mid 50's to high 60's. Just my opinion, but I don't think you need to worry about freezing issues.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
The lowest predicted temp for Nashville for the next 7 days is 38 with highs of mid 50's to high 60's. Just my opinion, but I don't think you need to worry about freezing issues.

Based upon this forecast, I would not winterize my coach.

If the forecast changed dramatically (low 20's for example), I would go out, fire up the engine and furnaces for 30 minutes or so on high idle (we have heated tanks) and forget about it.

This is what I do here in NE Florida during a cold snap....never had an issue!

If your waste tanks are close to empty, put a bit of the pink stuff down the toilet and sinks for an insurance policy.

Have a great trip and Merry Christmas!

Tags
winter, winterize