Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2021, 08:49 PM   #1

Discovery over heating

I have a 01 Fleetwood discovery
Iam driving thru n.m. going up a long grade and the over heat light came on. I slowed right down and temp gauge started to drop and the light went off. I took it easy the next 50 miles, it was ok but the temp gauge still crept up when going up hills. Don't know what to do. I checked coolant level it was good??
Paulnancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2021, 09:13 PM   #2

Not an expert by any means but we just got an '89 Fleetwood Jamboree in Nov. The previous owner warned us about it heating up on decent sized hills. We took it to Tuscon, from Co Springs, in Dec and I took it easy on hills the whole trip. We did see the gauge creeping up here and there but managed to keep it 'cool' for the duration. I think it's just the nature of the beast and you might want to just be prepared w/ coolant and get used to going easy. Hope this helps.
Jackfh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you ever cleaned the radiator fins?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:52 PM   #4

Cummins says to clean the radiator on a rear radiator coach ; every 7500 miles ; to avoid overheating . I would imagine info from Caterpillar would be the same.

A little info on your chassis and engine would help members give better advice on possible issues that could be the cause of your overheating .

Are you towing ?
Do you know your total weights ; and your vehicle's ratings for towing and GCWR ( Gross Combined Weight Rating )?
Old 04-15-2021, 07:59 AM   #5

Did you downshift? You need to keep the RPM up, that will move more air and coolant to keep the engine temp down.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Have you ever cleaned the radiator fins?

Best guess.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:14 PM   #7

If the external fins of the radatior are clean, then its most likely a build up of scale, over the last 20+ years, inside the tubes.

You may be able to flush it, but professional cleaning or re-coring may be needed.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:17 PM   #8

Excellent questions so far.

Only comment is that you need to clean the "cooling package" which consists of the CAC (Charge Air Cooler) in front and the RADIATOR behind it from the FRONT which is where most of the dirt and debris will be deposited.

Access it from the bedroom. At night is easiest to see. Shine a strong flashlight into the fan shroud. Look briefly in the center-- it will be clean, as the fan blades sling the debris to the perimeter.

Look CAREFULLY at the bottom perimeter. Make sure it is as clean as the center.

If not, buy some SIMPLE GREEN EXTREME (developed for degreasing aluminum air craft, so won't hurt aluminum components.

Use it and a garden hose from the front (bedroom) until only clean water comes out.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #9

Iam going to spray out the radiator at this stop in st George. I hope it well help, when I get home I'll take it in and have it checked out. Thanks for all the info
Paulnancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:21 PM   #10

After reading several posts on cleaning rear radiators I bought Simple Green Extreme Aircraft Aluminum cleaner, mixed it 4 to 1 with water. Used a pump up sprayer and shot the stuff thru the radiator from outside and inside.. Inside was tight but I got it in there pretty good.. Flushed it all out after about 20 minutes with soft water. That solved my problem for a couple years and then last year it started running warmer than I like and took it in and had the coolant system flushed and refilled with the red stuff..Shop said I had done a really good job on the outside cleaning and had great airflow thru the radiator. Our first outwas was to Branson MO.. it was 100 degrees out and had no problems pulling those long hills on hwy 65..Just got home from long trip, part of which was on I77 thru west virginia and I had no heating problems at all.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heating, discovery