Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2022, 11:03 AM   #1

Do well cared for RV's time out?

I have done business with a particular RV service shop for 31 years and recently was rejected by the same shop because one of my motorhomes is now 28 years old.

The reasoning is that if they started on a job they were concerned that other issues might be found and therefore won't accept any job on an RV over 22 years old this year!

I find it hard to believe that a shop would turn down any job so long as the owner is willing to pay for the work.

Cheers, Rick
Gold Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2022, 11:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
One of the biggest concerns with my 2002 Monaco Windsor is the availability of some of the parts, some are becoming obsolete with no real viable options to replace. I know some of my circuit boards are not available and in most cases not repairable.

So there could be an argument from a shop simply due to the availability of parts. If they start on a repair and find there is a part that they need that is not available what do they do. There could be a liability issue if they try and do some sort of work around. There is also a cost aspect, a circuit board use to be $100 so they quote a price assuming they can get parts and then find out they can't, a work around could cost much more to try and make something work.

I know several things on my coach that I cannot replace and already have some work arounds planned. Generator slide power unit is obsolete but they other similar units that I could substitute.

My bedroom slide mechanism is a prime example of one that would be more difficult, a Dewald system that is obsolete. A complete work around can be done but lots of work, engineering, and possibly beyond my skill set. Won't cross that bridge until I have to.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:18 AM   #3

Some things in an RV age or become obsolete. Many other things do not.

Proprietary replacement parts often are not available through new part sources. Methods and procedures for repairs change. It is hard to keep technicians up to date with current designs as well as the thousand of old now rare designs.

There are service shops that specialize in old system. Try to find one of them.

Electronic device designs change rapidly. New designs out perform old ones by wide margins. Thirty year old electronics are usually better replaced with new.

Compressor technology has also changed radically. Replace A/C rather than repair.

Old wood things are probably better than new material products. As long as the old wood has been kept dry, old wood is often better.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Pot View Post
I have done business with a particular RV service shop for 31 years and recently was rejected by the same shop because one of my motorhomes is now 28 years old.

The reasoning is that if they started on a job they were concerned that other issues might be found and therefore won't accept any job on an RV over 22 years old this year!

I find it hard to believe that a shop would turn down any job so long as the owner is willing to pay for the work.

Cheers, Rick
What's your definition of an RV service shop? Coach or chassis?
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to modern servicing. Shops now have to worry about being sued over their inability to do something or the extent of their other liability if they have to keep your RV for weeks or months while looking for an obsolete part. If they tear your rig down on a seemingly simple job and find they can't complete it due to unanticipated issues, they are stuck with it unless they put it back together and send you away mad. The amount of work lost to this policy limitation has become less significant than the risks. Especially if they have a waiting list of customers needing service.

Maybe they will still do an oil change for you, but its safer for them to just say No to any service.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:34 AM   #6

At the end of the day shops are in it to make a profit.
If they see the job as non profitable headache they are opting not to get involved from the start
Lantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:36 AM   #7

I am sorry to hear about your challenges but I also can't blame the shop.

At some point even paying jobs are not worth it. That is basically what they said, "The reasoning is that if they started on a job they were concerned that other issues might be found and therefore won't accept any job on an RV over 22 years old this year!" I am not sure what the year cut off should be, but they are protecting both themselves and the customer.

If you have a unit that has rare or uncommon parts they may be prohibitively expensive if you are even able to find them. If they can not find parts, then they would have to be made and most customers can't/won't afford that. Then it will end up sitting on their lot taking up space and possibly delaying or preventing other work they could be doing.

Once everything is said and done, often times the customer will end up unhappy and the shop will be out a lot of time and effort. It is a no win.

My current tow vehicle is a 2014. It has been at the dealer since April waiting on parts. The parts have been on back order with an unknown ship date. This is on a model used by 2 major manufactures in millions of units that is just 3 years out of warranty, not 20 years. So not a rare or uncommon part. One of their options was to charge me an additional $10,000 to replace the whole unit, not just rebuild it. To me that was not a viable option, so I got corporate involved. I have reports of the parts shipping 2 weeks ago, but somehow they have still not arrived.....
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 01:12 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Welcome to modern servicing. Shops now have to worry about being sued over their inability to do something or the extent of their other liability if they have to keep your RV for weeks or months while looking for an obsolete part. If they tear your rig down on a seemingly simple job and find they can't complete it due to unanticipated issues, they are stuck with it unless they put it back together and send you away mad. The amount of work lost to this policy limitation has become less significant than the risks. Especially if they have a waiting list of customers needing service.

Maybe they will still do an oil change for you, but its safer for them to just say No to any service.
Gary hit the nail n the head...
I own a 25+ year old RV.. Thankfully I do 99% my own work... But I am resourceful in finding parts and retrofit..

My own colloision repair shop, we only work on newer stuff and shy away from older...
shear cost vs value of vehicle.. and the dang Parts.. the quality of replacement parts are POOR and hard to find proper fitment...

Also many old timers that know how to tackle the older rigs are going away..young techs cant figure the old stuff out....

Plus as modern day shops want quick turn around jobs of profit... I know mine strives for a certain dollar value that goes in and out .... We are guilty of turning away customers... or being very honest..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 01:31 PM   #9

Mine is 29.

The sophistication of the build back then - the electronics, plumbing, etc. - was very very low, and so I wonder how anyone who knows anything about vehicle or RV repair could seriously worry about our present ability to easily work around any issues that might pop up.

What you describe sounds like a computer guy refusing to work on an abacus because he can't find a manual for it. I'd guess there's some other reason at work here. Perhaps he simply lacks the proper tools to work on older units that lack plug-n-play components and computerized timing and diagnostics.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 02:53 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Our aft 13.5 ac unit went toes up. I wanted to upgrade to 15K, but the new unit wasn't compatible with the existing CCC - unless you could find the relay (or whatever it was called) to match the system. Waited over 2 months...nada!

Then there is the front ac unit. If it went toes up, I'd have the same problems, so we now have two new modern 15K reverse cycle units with a thermostat that I can actually read. The checkbook is still smoking but we should be good for another 17 years...fingers crossed.

Yeah, I guess some RVs do lose their luster after a time, but this thing has the bones that make it worth most of the headaches associated with maintaining an older unit. Soooo, I guess I'll keep replacing parts til she's new again.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 03:07 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Started having trouble with my rear AC last year, I want to install a new fan motor, couldn't find one anywhere. I looked at other parts, same thing.

So I decided just to bit the bullet and replace both AC's and install new thermostat. I upgrade from 13.5 to 15K BTU high capacity units. Went with the Microair Easy Touch thermostat.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 03:08 PM   #12

Things that look really simple can get really complicated fast on older rigs. My previous coach (95) had a cracked headlight. In the 7 years I owned it I could never find a replacement. Scoured junkyards, the internet, new and used. Headlight was a German made one for Audi's but not available anymore. Found something that was extremely close but would not fit. Would have needed to fabricate a completely different mount. I do all my own work so no issues but if it was taken to a shop this "simple" repair would never have happened. Hours of work for the shop and an unhappy customer at the end of the day. No surprise that some shops just won't work on them. No upside to it.
Old 11-19-2022, 04:24 PM   #13

We had a local independent motorcycle mechanic who would work on anything, regardless of age. He was only in business a couple years and at the end his building and property were filled with bikes that clients had abandoned because they couldn't pay the bills. It would start out as, say, a clutch cable replacement but he'd find frozen brake calipers, leaky radiators, valves out of adjustment, 20 year old leaking tire tubes, and EVERYTHING was rusty so EVERY bolt would snap off and need to be drilled out. I can see it being the same with an old RV. Speaking as someone who restored a 25 year old Class C when he was younger and dumber, it's amazing what you find when you start digging into it. Rotting floors and wall studs, discontinued parts, unmatchable wall/ceiling/cushion materials, etc. No job is ever simple and straightforward with readily available parts.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 04:24 PM   #14

On a similar note (kind of) a guy at work bought a used pull along camper excellent shape inside and out probably 20 years old or so. He called several places to rent a spot so he could leave the camper there and go down on the weekends etc, and was told his unit is too old to be allowed to rent a spot.
boiledowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs