Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do you drink the water from your storage tank?

We have always carried bottled water to drink. I can't seem to convince my husband that water in our holding tank is no more contaminated than water in a bottle from the store. Does anyone else have concerns about using water from holding tanks? Thanks for any input or thoughts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #2

Yes all the time.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Community Administrator

I don't. We buy all our drinking/ coffee water.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm not excessively worried about its safety. I've been in some CGs where it smelled bad and tasted worse. My next investment will be in a double filter and water softener set up that will still go a 3rd whole house filter.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I put it in ice cube trays and drink it all the time. Not an issue, I start each season by cleaning out tank with bleach and rinse thoroughly.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No we don't.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #7

We drink from the FW tank all of the time. We have a water softener and water filter. If you have concerns about the FW tank you should probably sterilize it.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Being the 1999 coach was used when we got it, who knows what was it the tank previously all those years. We drink bottled water only.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #9

I keep my tank clean and watch the source of my water and I don't worry about it. I don't let water sit in my tank for a long period of time especially when it's real hot.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penster View Post
We have always carried bottled water to drink. I can't seem to convince my husband that water in our holding tank is no more contaminated than water in a bottle from the store. Does anyone else have concerns about using water from holding tanks? Thanks for any input or thoughts.
We keep a clean tank and all the water that goes in that tank is filtered with our filtration system. If we are unable to get water from an approved source then we go to the bottles for coffee, cooking and drinking. Under normal conditions, we use the water from the onboard water system.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #11

Quote:
With us it's primarily a taste issue. We like the way our tap water tastes from our S&B, but have stayed in some CG's where there is an ovbious odor, although it is 'city' water.

For coffee, tea, etc we use bottled. For cooking, pets, we use the holding tank.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

For straight up drinking water, we use bottled spring water both in the stick house and motor home. It's always been a taste issue and has probably just become habit. We do have a water softener and filters which treat water before it enters the coach.

We do sterilize our FW tank yearly and use the water for ice cubes and even coffee.

I'm not sure how those who are "careful" to only hook up to approved sources pull it off, where they find these sources and who approved them. I've always thought that hooking up to CG water was a bit of a crap shoot with no way to ascertain the quality of the water delivered to my site.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #13

Bottled water here.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Ours is the opposite!! My wife hauls gallons of water. I have decided to pick the fights and that is not worth fighting..

Tags
storage, tank, water