Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2008, 03:52 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I've used both, depending on the location and whether or not hooked up with the toad. As previously stated they won't honor VISA at the truck pumps.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #16

There seems to be a misconception. Arizona does NOT have a commercial/non-commercial diesel price difference. What they have is 'heavy class' which is .08 a gallon more than 'light class'.

In order to be considered 'light class', you must have only 2 axels AND have a GVWR of under 24000 pounds. If you have more than 2 axels OR are over 24000 pounds, you MUST pay the 'heavy class' surcharge or risk serious fines.

I don't think there is any difference in the fuel, so probably the only way to get caught would be while you were actually filling up or paying.

There is a gas station here which has one pump for 'under 24000 pounds' and one pump for 'over 26000 pounds'. I guess if you are 25000 pounds you can't buy gas
Old 03-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Wayne,
Use the J RV Value Card first to identify yourself to the fuel pump. Once this is done, the truck or RV pump will be the same.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #18

Since buying my 38' DP in 2003 I have never fueled anywhere but truck stops, including Flying J.

I prefer Flying J as their Real Value card guarantees me the cash price - at the truck pumps.

Truck pumps are always easy in & easy out. I just do as the truckers do: pull forward after fueling so the next truck in line can pull in and begin to fuel.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:40 AM   #19

I have used both, and prefer the truck island. Just easier and the driver's are more predictable. On the RV island, it seems I always run into the guy who has pumped fuel, and went in to pay, but got distracted with other things while his RV is on the island, and 10 people are waiting for him to move it. The truck island you can usually get a pump right away, and if not the driver's do pull forward before going to pay.

In my opinion, Flying J has really started to let standards slip. They used to be the A1 premier place to get fuel, eat and rest, but the last rash of them I have been to has not impressed me in the least. I used to buy all of my fuel exclusively from J, but since I didn't even get a response from several e-mails, and a written letter about quality control, the last trip I went out of my way not to buy fuel from them. Granted, my $700.00 worth of fuel doesn't mean much, but it is truly the only voice I have anymore.

John
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I use the car islands because they give receipts at the pump.

Why dont they give receipts at the rv island???

Is it becaue they want us to come in and spend money in the store?
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Steve,
I have received a receipt whenever I use the RV island. I rarely use the RV island, but I have always got my receipt, right at the pump.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:57 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
I use the RV island if I can see that it is free when approaching the Flying J. I've never had a problem getting in or out with my 40' DP & toad. If it is occupied/backed up, I go to the truck lanes. Either place, insert RV card. Insert debit card. Pump fuel. Most truck islands I have used require me to walk inside to sign and receive the receipt. A few RV islands require walking inside too.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:13 AM   #23

I use the RV island for speed as I can swipe my credit cards at the pump and always get a receipt.
Some credit card companies offer between 3-5% discounts on fuel purchases. In order to receive discounts the card must be swiped at the pump and that option is not available in the truck lanes.

fishboat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #24

I respectfully disagree.

I have always used the Flying J Truck lanes. I have always used my credit card at the pump along with my Real Value card. I always pay the cash price and I always receive my 5% or 3% rebate from my Discover (gasoline) card.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
fishboat1,
I do not understand your claim. My experience is the same as Lew's. I always use the truck lanes. RV Value card is swiped first. Follow the instructions on the screen. The CC is swiped next. I always get all the benefits I expect from the J and my cc company.

Can you elaborate why you feel differently?
Old 03-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #26

[quote]I do not understand your claim. My experience is the same as Lew's. I always use the truck lanes. RV Value card is swiped first. Follow the instructions on the screen. The CC is swiped next. I always get all the benefits I expect from the J and my cc company.

Can you elaborate why you feel differently?[/quote

Gary, at some diesel truck pumps credit cards can not be swiped. Purchaser must go into the store to pay. For me to receive a discount my credit card must be swiped at the pump. Credit card company will not discount store purchases.

fishboat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:54 AM   #27

Is this a West Coast thing? I have yet to stop at a Flying-J on the East Coast from Florida to points north where there was no credit card reader in the Truck lane.

Many only have a Dump Station in the RV lane and no fuel so I do use the truck lanes most times.

It is entertaining when a big rig catches the concrete pilon at the end of the lane while pulling out and sends it rolling across the parking lot.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:57 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use the RV lane at the Fly Js. I like being able to fill my propane at the same stop if necessary. My last stop I also needed to take on a little water to get us home. So far I have not needed the dump station, but it's nice to know it's there.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote