Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does anyone save RV antifreeze year to year

I was debating whether or not to save it for next year. At the very least I figure I can dump the used into the traps and tank and use a fresh batch for the pipes.
Does anyone do this?
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I suppose you could. Or you could use a compressor and blow out the lines and not use antifreeze except for the traps.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I suppose you could. Or you could use a compressor and blow out the lines and not use antifreeze except for the traps.
i'm always worried about this - my pipes loop (i.e. have 'U' s in them- how do you ensure you don't get water left in the loop ?

Stephen
stephen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use to blow out the lines on the last coach. My latest one is not as neatly plumbed and alot of it's buried where I can't get to it easily so I chose to fire some antifreeze in there instead. Plus I had to use antifreeze this year as I had to winterize on the road before coming home ( stop over in another state where I was subject to freezing temps before going home ) so it was the only way I could do it.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You need low pressure but high air volume to successfully blow out water lines. Move enough air and the water will go.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I blow out the lines too. Have done it for 30 years. Only use antifreeze in the traps.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post
I was debating whether or not to save it for next year. At the very least I figure I can dump the used into the traps and tank and use a fresh batch for the pipes.
Does anyone do this?
As cheap as the stuff is I wouldn't recommend reusing it. When you run it through the lines you supposedly push the water remaining in the pipes ahead of it and replace it with the antifreeze. Depending on how much water was in the system to start with there could some mixed with the antifreeze. The only difference between the water and the "antifreeze" is that the antifreeze doesn't expand when it freezes. It will turn to mush in below freezing temperatures and become almost solid at -20*.

Any water remaining in the mixture will also freeze, but unlike the antifreeze it will also expand. There likely won't be enough water mixed in the first time to cause any damage, but after reusing it a couple times you may dilute the mixture with enough water that it will expand when feeezing and cause damage.

If you read the bottle you'll notice that it's supposed to be installed full strength, not diluted like automobile antifreeze.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #8

It's pretty cheap stuff; why would you want to take a chance on saving it from year to year? We blow out our lines too and just pour a bit in the traps. Worked like a charm.
Trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Takes me about 12-16 dollars worth of antifreeze to do the coach I may save the old antifreeze then,to dump into the black tank, on the way back north , if I go out again for a month in the winter. Keep a couple of gallons in the bathroom for flushing purposes ... and flush it out after I get back. I have heard of rock salt being used for this purpose also.

This article brings up my biggest worry with air compressors even though I did it for years... any contaminants in the compressor air ( oil etc... ) will be blown into the system. We take so much care to use potable water hoses so as not to impart any off taste into our plastic pipe and tank systems.....

http://ezinearticles.com/?RV-Winteri...ow?&id=3353447
Old 04-19-2012, 06:14 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well. when I wintered in Michigan I saved RV-Antifreeze by using the dry method (Blow the lines out, with air,, Several times (Blow, pause, blow, pause....... many times) Use pink stuff in drains and toilets.

Now I save even more RV-antifreeze by winterizing with the S method (Drive SOUTH till freezing is not a problem.. The full method calls for strapping a snow blower on the front of the rig and when someone says "What the {deleted} is that thing?) you have found parking.)

This brings up a comment on an old thread "Can I use very expensive automotive antifreeze instead of very inexpensive (Relative) RV-Antifreeze.. NO You can not.

But note that at the time the question was ask, "Pink Stuff" was selling for 1-2 dollars a gallon, Automatovie, 8-12.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LOL I like the S method! however the four letter W gets in the way.... hehe
Old 04-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I retire I plan to us the S and SW method.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #13

Call me cheap but I do. I blow out the lines and I'me sure that would be safe. Buuuuttt after about a week I decide I'll sleep better if the pink stuff goes through the pipes.
However after the pipes and traps are "pinked" I drain the pipes using the low point drains and catch about a gallon for next year.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 04-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen44 View Post
i'm always worried about this - my pipes loop (i.e. have 'U' s in them- how do you ensure you don't get water left in the loop ?

Stephen
You don't, that's why there are people that come here every year and say they blew the lines out but they still froze and broke.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote