Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #1

Does anyone use the Automatic OBDII cellphone interface?

www.automatic.com

Thanks
Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 05:59 AM   #2

Neato! Too bad it doesnt support diesel.. also appears it won't support most truck chassis rated over 10,000 lbs :-(
Old 02-16-2014, 06:51 AM   #3

Looks like a Cool Gizmo - thanks for the heads up.

I will get some when the android app is available. It will work on all of our 5 vehicles according to the DB lookup, and this includes our Libero RV, which is on a Chev 3500 Expess Chassis, will try one first and if it works as advertised and is proven valuable, I will put one in each vehicle.

I suppose one could move the module between vehicles also but wonder how that would work with the cumulative data on the phone and then it might not be in the vehicle one is driving. I have extra smart phones so I could also dedicate a couple of phones to my RV and toad for example. Just musing - will wait until the android app is released and try one.

Would like to see user feedback from those who have this or similar units.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:08 AM   #4

I think this is silly and for people who cant figure out how to drive. You need a device to tell you to let off the throttle for better fuel mileage. You need a device to monitor your every driving moment for the lawyers when you get sued for hitting someone???? Oh it says here you went 70 in a 50 ; never mind you passed someone safely with no one coming. This is a $100 intruder watching everything you do. Progressive insurance tries to get their customers to use this so they can get out of paying claims for accidents.
Skip this , use common sense and be responsible for yourself ; you dont need an electronic baby sitter.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
I think this is silly and for people who cant figure out how to drive. You need a device to tell you to let off the throttle for better fuel mileage. You need a device to monitor your every driving moment for the lawyers when you get sued for hitting someone???? Oh it says here you went 70 in a 50 ; never mind you passed someone safely with no one coming. This is a $100 intruder watching everything you do. Progressive insurance tries to get their customers to use this so they can get out of paying claims for accidents.
Skip this , use common sense and be responsible for yourself ; you dont need an electronic baby sitter.
Uh... it's an OBDII code reader too.. not just a device to determine fuel mileage.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Uh... it's an OBDII code reader too.. not just a device to determine fuel mileage.
Uh never said it was ; you missed the message
Old 02-16-2014, 08:00 AM   #7

Quote:
According to the literature, this gizmo does much more than track driving habits, perhaps you did not read all of the advertised atributes, such as providing a readout of what caused a fault light, or send an alert in the event of an accident.

But then again one can use manual methods like we did before computers, and of course with this logic, why buy a GPS when one can read a paper map, after all one does not really need a GPS, a cell phone or 3 even a computer. So why waste money on all these "unnecessary devices".

Having the info available to me that the mechanic has would be handy for me and the $100 or even $500 for 5 vehicles to me is not significant.

But to each his own, but I must be one of these "silly" people who likes to be informed as much as possible about almost everything. And of course, I am not the only person who drives my vehicles.

Question: Would you not like to know why the "check engine" light is on?
Old 02-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
According to the literature, this gizmo does much more than track driving habits, perhaps you did not read all of the advertised atributes, such as providing a readout of what caused a fault light, or send an alert in the event of an accident.

But then again one can use manual methods like we did before computers, and of course with this logic, why buy a GPS when one can read a paper map, after all one does not really need a GPS, a cell phone or 3 even a computer. So why waste money on all these "unnecessary devices".

Having the info available to me that the mechanic has would be handy for me and the $100 or even $500 for 5 vehicles to me is not significant.

But to each his own, but I must be one of these "silly" people who likes to be informed as much as possible about almost everything. And of course, I am not the only person who drives my vehicles.

Question: Would you not like to know why the "check engine" light is on?
Already have a cellphone and gps. Most autostores do a readout free. The scan part is great. Really dont like the intrusion part and most people dont realize the investigation aspects if they make a booboo in an accident. This is whats behind progressive pushing so hard to sell this gimmick ; how to get out of paying. Get a scanner without the internet connection. I already have a computer also. The video looks and sounds like its marketing to old ladies along with :"I've fallen and I cant get up". Watch it again , they will save you from all catastrophes.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:

Already have a cellphone and gps. Most autostores do a readout free. The scan part is great. Really dont like the intrusion part and most people dont realize the investigation aspects if they make a booboo in an accident. This is whats behind progressive pushing so hard to sell this gimmick ; how to get out of paying. Get a scanner without the internet connection. I already have a computer also. The video looks and sounds like its marketing to old ladies along with :"I've fallen and I cant get up". Watch it again , they will save you from all catastrophes.
Sorry, I am lost in the logic? Most modern cars have Event Data Recorders (EDRs) and as I understand it, this unit you connect the phone to the EDR via bluetooth, and uses this data for your personal display and use. I did not see anything in the video or on the web site that said the EDR data was sent over the internet except perhaps emergency notification or car location data, (If you elect to activate this feature) hence I do not understand the reference to Insurance company getting info from the device or how this is an "intrusion" because of this gizmo. I would appreciate if you could explain how this is done. Yes accident investigation bodies can use EDR data, but they get this from the imbeded onboard system and this fact has nothing to do with any external reader you may have.

Looking forward to reading your technical details on how this reader and display system will provide data to an insurance company. I would expect this device collects and displays data your phone which may or may not be connected to the internet.

As I noted before, I would like to know what a fault code means when the alert is given. A service center with a reader may be many miles from your location so I prefer to be better informed when something happens, but perhaps this is just me.

Again I look forward to seeing your technical assessment that supports the "intrusion" allegation as this applies to the "Automation" product. Thanks in advance.

PS. OBD link is another system that might be worthwhile
Old 02-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Sorry, I am lost in the logic? Most modern cars have Event Data Recorders (EDRs) and as I understand it, this unit you connect the phone to the EDR via bluetooth, and uses this data for your personal display and use. I did not see anything in the video or on the web site that said the EDR data was sent over the internet except perhaps emergency notification or car location data, (If you elect to activate this feature) hence I do not understand the reference to Insurance company getting info from the device or how this is an "intrusion" because of this gizmo. I would appreciate if you could explain how this is done. Yes accident investigation bodies can use EDR data, but they get this from the imbeded onboard system and this fact has nothing to do with any external reader you may have.

Looking forward to reading your technical details on how this reader and display system will provide data to an insurance company. I would expect this device collects and displays data your phone which may or may not be connected to the internet.

As I noted before, I would like to know what a fault code means when the alert is given. A service center with a reader may be many miles from your location so I prefer to be better informed when something happens, but perhaps this is just me.

Again I look forward to seeing your technical assessment that supports the "intrusion" allegation as this applies to the "Automation" product. Thanks in advance.

PS. OBD link is another system that might be worthwhile

sorry I bothered you ; you will have to research it on your own.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #11

Quote:

sorry I bothered you ; you will have to research it on your own.
No problem, no real bother, I did do research actually before I asked the question, and could not find anything to support the allegation of "intrusion", or that insurance companies would benefit by one having this device wherein they could access data not available through onboard systems, so I think I have the answer. Sorry, I assumed you based your statements on facts that you might have had.

But indeed this product is new and I would not endorse it untill I tried it myself, and there are many OBDii readers out there but I did not see any that integrated the features and potential of the "automatic" so I hope the OP gets his question answered.

I will be following its progress as the product matures.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #12

I'm the OP. I don't have insurance intrusion concerns. I read about it in the Wall Street Journal. My 1998 Bounder doesn't have all the bells and whistles of newer vehicles. I'll try to order on Amazon so I can return it if it doesn't meet expectations. I'll post here and let you know. I love my GPS data phone, internet connections, and I'm not concerned about privacy problems. I just wanted to know if someone has bought this unit. I don't see the need for the rants. Dave.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #13

Just looked for it on Amazon and found an even better deal for $19.99! Check it out. http://www.amazon.com/ELM327-Bluetoo...hone+interface

Just ordered three of them. There are only ten more available.

Dave.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1194 View Post
Just looked for it on Amazon and found an even better deal for $19.99! Check it out. http://www.amazon.com/ELM327-Bluetoo...hone+interface

Just ordered three of them. There are only ten more available.

Dave.
Irony, you wanted to know if anyone has one, now we all know someone who does.

Thanks Dave, this is an interesting device. I does not seem that the one you are getting supports iPhone 4S, is that how you read it as well? Also this basically has the capacity to do the same as the Scan gauge if it allows display of drive time information. That if true would be widely popular. I hope you will report back on how it works for you.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote