Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2006, 04:04 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
My understanding is that the coach batteries run all the gadgets in the coach but what about the dash radio? Does it also run off the coach battery or am I discharging the engine battery?

Thanks

Steve
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2006, 04:04 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My understanding is that the coach batteries run all the gadgets in the coach but what about the dash radio? Does it also run off the coach battery or am I discharging the engine battery?

Thanks

Steve
Old 11-18-2006, 04:24 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I guess it might depend on the manufacturer but mine originally ran off of the chassis battery.

I put a switch in the power line to the in dash stereo and ran a separate, fused feed from the house batteries. Now, I can listen to the in dash while parked without fear of not being able to start the engine. We are almost always hooked to shore power when camping so the house batteries are being charged.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 04:34 AM   #4

To; Stevegeorgetown;

Better to have radio/cd player etc. wired off house batteries. Easy to do if not.

There are enough " phantom drains on engine battery.

Thanks=== AIME=== AJBJRVERS===
Old 11-18-2006, 04:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Most dashboard stuff, including dash radio, wipers, fans, lights, etc., will be wired to the chassis battery in most rigs. The chassis comes with much of that stuff either installed or pre-wired. Some other things may be as well, e.g. the electric steps typically are (cause they need to be powered for safe egress even if the house battery disconnect is "Off").
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies.
I forgot to mention that I have a 2006 Georgetown ( Ford chasis )and the dash radio is the only radio in the coach. We usually leave the radio on when leaving our dog in the coach but perhaps the tv would be a better idea.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:58 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stevegeorgetown:
Thanks for the replies.
I forgot to mention that I have a 2006 Georgetown ( Ford chasis )and the dash radio is the only radio in the coach. We usually leave the radio on when leaving our dog in the coach but perhaps the tv would be a better idea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve,

On my Winnebago there is a switch on the dash that allows you to select which battery to run the radio from. If you don't have one it should not be too difficult to add one.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:01 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Neil. I do have a big switch on the dash seperate from the stereo. I thought this switch was simply to allow me to have the stereo on while the key is off but now im thinking what you say makes more sense.

Steve
2006 Georgetown
Old 11-19-2006, 04:31 PM   #9

The power for the radio in my Monaco comes from the house batteries. The toggle switch indicator light on the dash will come on, but the radio won't if the 6V battery cutoff is in the off position.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:45 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Mine runs from the house battery.

Use your house battery disconnect and see if your radio works with the house battery off.

Dean
1995 CC Magna
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I will try that.

thanks Dean.

Steve
Old 12-08-2006, 05:05 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
My 1992 Winnebago is like NeilB's. It has a switch on the dash to switch the radio to the house batteries.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:32 AM   #13

It may be different with different manufactures but I found out the hard way that the dash switch that gives you "AUX" power or "MAIN" power for your in-dash radio only bipasses the ignition switch. In other words, the power comes from the crank battery bank regardless of switch position. In my present coach and my previous one (Itasca) this was the case. It was on this net I learned to carry a single jumper wire so periodiocally I could jumper the crank bank to the deep cycle bank because I like leaving the satellite radio on during the day.

Larry
Cat C-7 DP -- 2 slides -- computer table dinet -- full body paint -- Satellite Dish: Winegard Movin' View Dome -- Toad: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD -- Aux Brake: none -- Tow Bar: Sterling All Terrain -- GPS: Garmin Street Pi
KE0M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 03:42 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
With the radio playing, I flicked the battery disconnect button off and the radio went off so I guess that means the radio runs off the coach battery.

Steve