Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2021, 05:14 PM   #1

Dog has a taste for my dinette!

Passing through Mississippi 2 nights ago, very bad thunderstorm, my dog was freaking out! While I was sleeping I heard her making noises, when I got up to check, about 2am, I found her chewing on the corner of my dinette booth! She’s never done this before in the 12 years we’ve had her! My question is how do I repair this? It’s press board. I cleaned up all the bite marks and loose material, and shaved down the plastic edging so it’s nice and smooth. I plan on just filling it in with plastic wood filler and painting it. But this particle board is very porous, do I have to prime it with something before a use filler?

Anyone ever repair this el-cheap-O furniture before? God I wish they had used plywood!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82DCC79F-C7C5-4403-ADB9-C5FDFFBE64AA.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	327458  
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2021, 08:47 PM   #2

If your going to paint, I would harden exposed wood with super glue and then use bondo. The quart tube of spot finish coat would be best.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:52 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Since your RV is a 2019, see if the manufacturer still has that formica. Order a new sheet and trim and just put the new formica over the old.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:17 PM   #4

Dog chewed because she had anxiety issues. Determining them might be difficult.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:21 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Dog chewed because she had anxiety issues. Determining them might be difficult.
I agree with Ray, the only chance of cure for this is positive reinforcement while she is going through this experience again. If you are traveling alone this would be difficult if you have someone with you have them console and love her up.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:05 PM   #6

Wife is with me, she said she will stay up with my dog from now on if there is a storm. She’s always had anxiety, and specifically when it rains and thunder. We usually put the TV on at home snd she calms down. But this is a different environment in the RV, storms are amplified! We are good with handling her. We’ve had her since she’s a pup, 12 years now.

I just need advice on the repair. We are at the Alamo KOA in TX, going to HD tomorrow to get supplies to repair the eye sore!
Old 05-07-2021, 07:42 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You don't need a primer of any sorts. Wood filled will attach just fine to the press board and after dry you can lightly sand and paint it to match
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
You don't need a primer of any sorts. Wood filled will attach just fine to the press board and after dry you can lightly sand and paint it to match
Thanks. I’m a decent carpenter, I’ve renovated plenty of homes of my own and done work for others, I’ve only used pressboard back in the day when I made my own laminated counter tops. Never used it for anything else. It’s junk to me, it’s a shame all these RV’s are full of it! Especially in humid climates. My rigs 2 years old. I’m constantly touching up the pealing and chipped edges!
Old 05-08-2021, 07:58 AM   #9

I suggest crate-training your dog. Even though she's 12, it shouldn't be too hard. Put her bed in it at home with the door open and go from there. That way way, when your camping, she'll gladly sleep in it and you can shut the door if you think she's going to get anxious.

Crates come in two basic versions, the plastic, car-transport type and the folding wire ones, which are easier to transport and store and might feel less confining (although confining might seem safer to her). We have both, a plastic one for transport and camping and a wire one at home.

Don't start by using it to transport her to the vet or elsewhere. You want her to see it as a safe refuge. Make this an always thing, not just a camping or stress thing. If she's reluctant at first, make it the place that she get's her treats. She'll get the idea. You didn't mention how big she is, but the crate doesn't have to be huge, just big enough for her to stand up and turn around. If she gets used to sleeping in it at home, she'll like it when you're camping.

We've had dogs since the early '70s and didn't use crates until our last two (both Border Collie mixes). Maggie was fairly old (maybe 10)when we trained her and Hamish we trained from the beginning. Hamish has free access to his but we close the door at night so he doesn't wander. Nap times he alternates between the crate and napping with us. I used to think "I don't want to cage up my dog" but that's not the way to think of it. Think of it as a portable, indoor dog house. To Hamish, "get in your crate" is a good thing.

And, since you have the skills, why not make a nice table out of plywood? It'll be stronger, lighter and, if you go with a nice hardwood plywood, you can forgo the laminate.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:59 AM   #10

Recommend you purchase a "Thundershirt" for the dog during thunderstorms. Positive reinforcement will help but tunderstorms are still going to occur.
psmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog