Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2022, 05:31 PM   #1

Dog house fastener issue

Heeelp.

I thought I had mastered the "threaded fastener" back in my pre-teen years.

Certainly was able to swap gears and rebuild the transmission on my Formula Ford to adjust for each track and all sorts of road racing mechanical chores many years back as well.

Our coach has these on the "Dog house" engine cover and did have them on the entry steps over the house battery area.

I spent some 2+ hours removing the 4 on the steps, initially using the large i.e. widest blade screw drive ACE hardware had. The slot is very wide and long so this did not work very well. On the steps once broken loose with the large screw driver I used vice-grips to remove them. I replaced all 4 on the step entry way with similar coarse thread lag bolts with 9/16" heads.

I planned on removing the engine cover and add more sound proof insulation but can not get eh *&^%$ things out. There are 6 with 2 in the rear and 2 on each side. I do not want to remove these with brute force like I did on the steps. Lag bolts will not be flush here nor look very good.

What tool is used for these? Under the dash area not enough clearance to crawl under with the long and large screw driver in any case. As the slots are both longer and wider than the blade it slips.

The channel-lock pliers already scrapped the edges a bit before I abandoned the task and grabbed an IPA.

Any suggestions welcome.

Perhaps calling a mobile RV person and paying the big $ to have him/her remove the cover and add the insulation is an option. Assuming I can find one in the Yuma area we are heading to after Borrego Springs, CA.
These days it seems less expensive both time and $ wise to hire someone than buy specialty tools used only 1-2 times.

Cheers,
Bat Dude

Bat Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2022, 05:46 PM   #2

About a month ago someone else had the same bolt or screw problem. It appeared to be an acme type of thread. A real oddball size too. Exact replacements don't exist on this planet.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have access to a set of hammer impact screw drivers?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:31 AM   #4

Fastener

Tnx for the replies.

I will check with REV RV service support and see what they suggest.

FYI TXice...

Former V31JU when living in Belize for a quarter of a century and was part of the hurricane communication net. Never got the US ticket after returning to the U.S.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:53 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Find a piece of flat stock steel that is the width of the screw and fits in the slot. Cut it to about 3-4 inches long. Then use vise grips to hold and use it as a right-angle screwdriver.

Basically, make a tool.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:21 PM   #6

Plus one on impact driver. Not sure exact tool/diver name but but my Dad always called the bits Gunsmith screw driver bits if you get the exact fit they really hold fast and won't walk out. Type of bit I'm referring to...

https://www.zoro.com/eazypower-slott...kaAnEHEALw_wcB
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:23 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
AIRCRAFT (and sprint cars?) access panels use straight-slot, (ZEUS OR DZUS FASTENERS, I think we called them?) but they only turn 90-degrees to lock/unlock? maybe yours too? You do not mention or note the rig specs/age? THE CAM-ACTION SLOTS GRAB A SPRING WIRE:
https://www.amazon.com/Button-Alumin...2663243&sr=8-4
Old 01-20-2022, 06:28 AM   #8

Long threaded

A search the minds of our group is better than Google, LOL.

Looks like the link posted above may provide a tool to do the trick.

These are long threaded screws ~ 2" long.
I am familiar with the Dzeus quarter turn fasteners as I have seen used on aircraft.

Next time I am in an urban area I will mask up and go into a Harbor Freight that seems to have virtually any tool imaginable. I did save the ones from The steps/house battery cover so I will take one into the shop with me.

Possibly a Lowes,Home Depot may have something in the impact tool section?

Cheers all,

Bat Dude
Old 01-20-2022, 02:02 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Keep in mind that an impact screwdriver is about the size of a toilet paper tube with a bit on the end and requires that you strike it with a hammer. Do you have that kind of space?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 02:14 PM   #10

If you can establish a good center punch prick, drill the head off with a 5/16" bit in an angle drill. Remove the dog house and then remove the offending screw with locking pliers. It might help to drill a smaller pilot hole first, say 1/8". Good luck!!
Old 01-22-2022, 09:55 AM   #11
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
A drag link socket is what you supposedly want. I took my bolts out of the steps and finding nothing at the local ACE replaced with a 5/16 (?) lag bolt. Then use a socket on them, seems to work okay. Haven't needed to open the doghouse yet.

This is allegedly suppose to work.
https://amazon.com/dp/B00209S3OO/?co...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 01-22-2022, 10:15 AM   #12

For the tough ones up in the dash, get a stubby screw driver with a thick blade that fits that slot tight. You need to muscle those out.

For the others try a screw gun at first with a straight blade. If that doesn’t work go with the impact gun. If that fails use a hand impact and slam the thing with a hammer.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog