RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2020, 07:47 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dometic A/C trips breaker

The front unit has been tripping the breaker after running for 10-15 minutes, even after fixing the fan.
The rear unit works fine.

I took the cover off and the rear squirrel cage fan was warped. Made of plastic and couldn't stand the 115 degree heat I guess.
I replaced it with a metal one.
The unit still trips the breaker. I have 113 v at wall plugs. Using an extension cord with no. 12 wire.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2020, 12:30 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by National 350 View Post
The front unit has been tripping the breaker after running for 10-15 minutes, even after fixing the fan.

I took the cover off and the rear squirrel cage fan was warped. Made of plastic and couldn't stand the 115 degree heat I guess.
The unit still trips the breaker. I have 113 v at wall plugs. Using an extension cord with no. 12 wire.
Replace capacitors; had to replace mine the other day at home as fan was not starting every time; saw/ felt found slight bulge, NOTED AD said "Guaranteed Five Years", yeah, about year six, :-)
Old 09-15-2020, 08:43 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you checked the amperage draw when running.

Ken
Old 09-15-2020, 01:28 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
When you changed the fan did you notice if the motor was turning freely.

I had the same symptoms, I did change the capacitors but it didn't help. Finally checked the motor and it was almost seized up, I could barely turn it by hand. Replaced the motor and all is good.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:14 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

ALSO Possible that breaker is simply weak; cheap, easy swap breaker w/ the other 20a and see if problem moves?
Old 09-16-2020, 12:13 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
When you changed the fan did you notice if the motor was turning freely.

I had the same symptoms, I did change the capacitors but it didn't help. Finally checked the motor and it was almost seized up, I could barely turn it by hand. Replaced the motor and all is good.
Yes, the motor turns easily.............
Old 09-18-2020, 07:21 AM   #7

Quote:

I have 113 v at wall plugs. Using an extension cord with no. 12 wire.
Have you monitored the voltage when the front A/C tries to run? If you are supplying the entire RV from an extension cord of that size then you probably get a big voltage drop when any A/C starts and the lower the voltage the more current the A/C motors will draw. Since the front unit is almost always a larger one than the rear, it would be likely to show there first. Try connecting your RV to a proper RV power outlet and see if things work.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, dometic