Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2018, 06:30 AM   #1

Dometic Power Door Awning - Need Parts Advice

I am working on replacing the motor for my dometic door awning. Dometic actually had a motor, which they sold me, but it did not come with the required screws to mount it to the bracket. They now tell me they have no parts/screws or anything for this particular awning. The old motor used bolts that went in threaded holes on the motor. The new motor has plastic holes and the instructions say to use PLASTITE FXS N7\7X12 ZING screws. These are self threading screws designed for use in plastic, I want to make sure I get the right size and type, since I'm sure there will be some torque on these screws when used.

Simu (the motor company) is from France (I think) and I'm guessing this particular size/screw is not a standard size. Before I measure and guess what kind of screw to use, does anyone know what size screw and where to purchase them ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CCF09052018_00000.pdf (1.06 MB, 35 views)
rjcunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #2

Screws are PLASTITE FXS N7\7X12 Zinc plated. If you are in the States, any Fastenal store will have the equivalent.
Oregonpharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
power door

give Bill a call 1 856 649 5743 He is in S.Jersey good prices & advise Dave
poordave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #4

no luck at Fastenal, just got an email from Simu asking for more info
I will try Bill tomorrow
<<maybe I am overthinking this>>
Old 10-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #5

This is the exact same issue I am having. I think it is possible to tap the plastic holes on the new motor, and then use the original screws. What you do think of that approach?

Also, I have another question. In order to get the old motor out, I had to drill out 3 rivets. That wen fine, but was wondering how you addressed re attaching the collar.
stevecaddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:22 PM   #6

Not sure about tapping and using the bolts, mine seemed a little too big
here was my solution -
I wound up buying various sizes and lengths of the "plastite" screws from McMaster-Carr. I wound up using 5/8 length and I think the #8, I also got #6 but they seemed a little small. https://www.mcmaster.com/92295A209
I also probably should have gotten a little longer if they had it, however it did seem to hold
as far as the rivets, I still had some stainless ones from another project so I used them, however I have read where other have just screwed that cap back on.

Overall it was a success, have only had 1 trip but it has worked several times in/out with no problem. Had to do adjustments on the setpoints of the motor so it would extend/retract the right amount.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #7

RJCunning,

Thanks for the link. Your solution looks like a good option. It looks like these screws might not be the actual Plastite brand. That explains a lot. I found the exact screws, Plastite 7x12, but you had to buy 2500. I have also sent an email to Dometic, with pictures of my situation. The customer support person I had on the phone said there was a guy that had been there for 40 years and knows everything about awnings. So I am also hoping to hear back from him.
I do have a couple of questions.
You said that you used #8 that were 5/8" long. And that they seem a bit too big around, and a bit too short. The diagram calls for a #7 so that might explain the diameter issues. But would you recommend ordering #8 3/4" long?

Also, where did you get the rivets, and how do they work? If you had a pic of a new, uninstalled rivet that would be great.

Thanks,

Steve
stevecaddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #8

I was happy w/ the #8, I was worried the #6 would not grab enough of the plastic. For the length 3/4 should work..i measured the depth of the hole on the motor but forgot to accommodate for the bracket thickness but the one I used seem to hold fine once I got it all together.
you should be able to get rivets at any hardware store, they come in diff. diameter "size of hole" and "thickness" of the material they are basically crimping together. I honestly don't remember what size I used.
Rivet link -

Tags
advice, awning, dometic, door, parts, power