Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2021, 09:05 AM   #1

Dometic rm1350 fridge

2014 bounder. Fridge always worked great. Couple day ago had to spend a day on a slight incline with fridge on.
Next day fridge went to 60 degree, freezer 32. Both holding there.
Absorption fridge.....did I mis align “ammonia gases” and how can I rectify?
Same result whether in propane or power. Also turned unit off for 20 minutes .
Nothing...
mrsportys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 02:40 PM   #2

Were you on incline and operating on gas? You may have tripped the high-temp shutoff recall kit.

Open lower fridge vent, burner/generator assy is on right side. Look for a pair of wires, red / white if OEM, recall kit is unknown color. Follow pair to a resettable snapdisk riveted to metal shield / housing. Press black button between terminals to reset.

It should be wired to shutdown fridge entirely, but I have seen some creative interpretations of wiring diagram.
Krbjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:25 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe you will be lucky and it's one of those"creative interpretations" that Krbjmpr mentioned, but I wouldn't bet the homestead on it. If the cooling unit only does minimal cooling whether in electric or LP mode, odds are high that the cooling unit developed a leak or has become internally clogged from coagulated sodium chromate. The latter is often one of the side effects of running off-level too long. It's not repairable except by replacing the cooling unit. That's not as difficult as it sounds - it' a bolt on replacement and DIYable - but it's not cheap.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What were the outside temps last night? I had that same fridge in an 09' Pace Arrow and it didn't do well in really cold temperatures.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:53 PM   #5

What Error Code was flashing on temp setting display?

If the stack thermofuse had tripped from overheating you would NOT have DC to circuit board OR upper display panel

With the chilled water container in fridge the cooling operation will stop if thermistor fails OR circuit board can't sense the thermistor due to wiring issue.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:34 AM   #6

Dometic fridge update

Talked to dometic service. Told them I was in an incline for a few hours. They said a fridge/rv could not be on greater than a 3% incline for for than 4 minutes. Side to side front to rear. I was told the gasses inside probably coagulated. Solution replace cooling unit or fridge ( as a price hunting gesture camping world close by, replacing installed $4800 and only a 45-75 day wait to get unit, yeah right) replace cooling unit by local repair $1400 + labor.
By the way unit is at 60 degrees freezer 40.
Thanks for reply’s
Old 03-03-2021, 06:36 AM   #7

No error code still running temp shows 60. Freezer holding 40. Gasses congealed ?
Old 03-03-2021, 06:56 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsportys View Post
Talked to dometic service. Told them I was in an incline for a few hours. They said a fridge/rv could not be on greater than a 3% incline for for than 4 minutes. Side to side front to rear. I was told the gasses inside probably coagulated. Solution replace cooling unit or fridge ( as a price hunting gesture camping world close by, replacing installed $4800 and only a 45-75 day wait to get unit, yeah right) replace cooling unit by local repair $1400 + labor.
By the way unit is at 60 degrees freezer 40.
Thanks for reply’s
That 3 degree incline always seems to be a mystery to me. I have read many opinions on how much it is. The 4 minute rule is the first time I have heard that one.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:06 AM   #9

Dometic does NOT have any such 'degrees' in ANY of their Fridge Manuals
nor do they have a TIME Limit
Whomever you talked to was talking out their rear-end......

Dometic states in the RM1350 Manual:
To ensure proper leveling, the vehicle needs to be leveled so it is comfortable to live in.
(No noticeable sloping of floor or walls).
When the vehicle is moving, leveling is not critical as the rolling and pitching movement of the vehicle will pass to either side of level, keeping the refrigerant from accumulating in the piping.

60*F indicates NO Temp Sensing is occurring (60*F displayed is 'out of range' condition)

2 things.......
Take RV on a drive....bumpy road, turns/corners etc with fridge turned on
Replace thermistor

Then worry about cooling unit

RM1350 Service Manual for your reading pleasure
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/Servi...,%20RM1350.pdf
Old 03-04-2021, 08:01 AM   #10

Rv park repair guy says ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Maybe you will be lucky and it's one of those"creative interpretations" that Krbjmpr mentioned, but I wouldn't bet the homestead on it. If the cooling unit only does minimal cooling whether in electric or LP mode, odds are high that the cooling unit developed a leak or has become internally clogged from coagulated sodium chromate. The latter is often one of the side effects of running off-level too long. It's not repairable except by replacing the cooling unit. That's not as difficult as it sounds - it' a bolt on replacement and DIYable - but it's not cheap.
Our rv park repair guy Wendell says replace cooling unit. I’d love to replace thermistor but unable to fish thru back wall.
Replacing cooling unit entails pulling complete unit away from wall and laying down on front side and replace cooling unit on back of fridge. 2-3 people. Minimum 4 hours. Others in park 1-1.5 days.
Now go find a replacement cooling unit .... that wasn’t easy
Old 03-04-2021, 08:07 AM   #11

Called dometic service again and told them about the 4 minute deal I was told the day before. They said no way more like 24 hours and they ran the 4 minutes up the line to bosses.
Anyway , rv guy out probably needs cooling unit replacement. Read previous thread shows what involved in install. Grrrrr dropping $2000
Old 03-04-2021, 08:59 AM   #12

Snip-The-Tip thermistor replacement
Use OEM thermistor wires...just snip off the thermistor and connect a simple rheostat switch....done
$30 and it may fix your issue

https://www.snip-the-tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi

Dometic RM1350 Cooling Unit---$1,079
https://rvcoolingunit.com/Dometic-RM...-P2398632.aspx

And if you happen to have the RM1350SLmodel---$1,079
https://rvcoolingunit.com/-Dometic-R...-P5662181.aspx

I'd throw $30 at it before calling it a bad cooling unit

And I would run a 'force cool' before declaring it a bad cooling unit
Old 03-04-2021, 03:36 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

You can get a quality replacement cooling unit for several sources - does not have to be a Dometic OEM part. Maybe better if it's not!

Here's a couple sources:

https://rvcoolingunit.com/
ozarkcoolingunits.com | Cooling Units Built to Last -AEH
https://jc-refrigeration.com/
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:47 AM   #14

*IF* you do end up having to need a replacement cooling unit, consider using a compressor model from jc refrigeration. Get rid of the propane / 120vac altogether and cool with actual 12vdc doing the work instead of 120vac or propane. Most of the time, the existing wiring is already heavy enough to carry the load, depending on how many connections it goes through before it reaches the fridge. If it were me, I would run 12ga straight from fridge to the fuse block. You do need to check the depth behind the fridge though. I was a half inch shy of my comfort level, so I shimmed the fridge itself (between fridge and cabinet) with some really nice 1x2 SPF. Cut the shims so joints are at top/bottom, sanded the hell out of it finishing with (kid you not) 3000 or so grit in the form of Mr Clean magik eraser, then primed and painted with Black acrylic. Veeeery Nice, looks better than fridge flange. My conversion was also a key selling point when I offered to convert so that their fear of burning in their sleep is alleviated. +$1500. Way easy to install (for me), and easily done in a day for other non-techs.

A compressor model will cost you $975 (120vac) or $1115 (12vdc) per website and worth every penny to get rid of propane, better temperature control in summer, and keep the aesthetic qualities of your coach. Oh yeah, the compressor units dont care about being run off level near as much as the absorption units do. Was able to achieve a 17 degree (trailer front / back) slope before ran out of landing gear, and sound / current draw / compressor temps didn't budge at all. Not so sure about side-to-side, but one side on the street and the other up over the curb (door side) didn't affect compressor operation either. Fridge was mounted on door side. I will see if owners will let me post a link to the "walk around" video featuring fridge, will be up to them as they are featured in it quite heavily.

RM1350 Compressor *HVAC* models:
https://jc-refrigeration.com/product...ic-hvac-units/
Krbjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, fridge