Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2007, 04:59 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
I resized some of the pics of the door stop install for clarity. Hopefully this will make the details a little clearer.

This is the photo of the strap install on the top of the entry door. Note the two flat head screws side by side for greater strength.

This is the other end of the strap on the bottom side of the top of the door frame. Note that both ends of the strap are installed on a 45 degree angle to prevent the strap from wanting to twist when the door is fully opened.

The low profile of the strap and screws prevents any obstruction when opening the door. When closed the strap hangs at the edge of the door frame.

When closed there is no obstruction with any of the door seals. But to be safe, use a dab of silicone on the drilled holes before inserting the screws.

There is also no obstructon on the screen door. If the strap is closed between the screen and the door, there is plenty of room at the top of the screen for the strap to slide out the next time the door is opened.

Fully open this is what it looks like.

HERE is the link to the original thread with a more detailed description of the install. Good luck!

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2007, 04:59 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I resized some of the pics of the door stop install for clarity. Hopefully this will make the details a little clearer.

This is the photo of the strap install on the top of the entry door. Note the two flat head screws side by side for greater strength.

This is the other end of the strap on the bottom side of the top of the door frame. Note that both ends of the strap are installed on a 45 degree angle to prevent the strap from wanting to twist when the door is fully opened.

The low profile of the strap and screws prevents any obstruction when opening the door. When closed the strap hangs at the edge of the door frame.

When closed there is no obstruction with any of the door seals. But to be safe, use a dab of silicone on the drilled holes before inserting the screws.

There is also no obstructon on the screen door. If the strap is closed between the screen and the door, there is plenty of room at the top of the screen for the strap to slide out the next time the door is opened.

Fully open this is what it looks like.

HERE is the link to the original thread with a more detailed description of the install. Good luck!

Sarge
Old 11-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #3

Hey Sarge!! Very nice and it works!
Only thing you might change is the screws should be stainless!! The strap will get stained when the screws start to rust!!!

Rick
Old 11-09-2007, 03:59 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey thanks Rick, something to consider!
Old 11-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #5

HERE'S MY VERSION:

I finished this tonight and figured I would post my mod (Thanks Sarge!). This strap is only 12" out from the hinge. I figure if this won't stop the wind I shouldn't have the door open anyway. I also didn't want a big strap hanging in the window. As shown in the picture, when folded is quite nicely out of the way. Per Sarge's suggestion I cut the ends 45 degrees, then melted it with a torch (I looked a lot better before I screwed it down). All hardware is stainless. I used #8x1/2" flathead SS screws and some fancy indented SS washers that I found many years ago at a place that bought overstock from Lockeed Aircraft in Burbank. The factory stop seems to be just beyond 90 degrees. I have the strap set to start pulling hard just shy of 90 degrees, so the factory stop "should" never be in play.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:06 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Good job Jeff! I toyed with the idea of mounting the strap closer to the inside edge than the outside edge. Nice clean job of mounting the strap too. The stainless screws were a nice touch, I will monitor mine and if they show any signs of corrosion I will change them out. Let us know how your version works out.

Sarge
Old 12-02-2007, 06:14 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jeff,

I like your mod. Last camping trip the DW "thought" she secured our entry door after she climbed in, but it flew open at the first stop sign and threw the whole door out of alignment. I couldn't get it aligned right myself, so I had to pay M&M Coach in Chino to do it for me. It took two trips to their shop before even they could get it right.

Needless to say, this strap idea of Sarge & your's would have probably prevented a lot of hassle for me.

Two questions: Where did you get your strap material and can I buy some of those nice indented washers from you?

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
jfb

Question was posted some time ago regarding a strong gust of wind catching the door as it was being opened. Will these straps save the door if it is slammed open with a high wind gust?
jfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:13 PM   #9

JTF: This is exactly the reason me & Sarge strapped the doors. You're right, the discussion has been going on for awhile, and I had asked the same question in another forum with not much input back. It's a common problem, and some of the fixes cause additional problems. Then Sarge comes along with this ultra-simple solution!

I put some pretty strong pressure on mine and didn't get into the mechanical stops of the door, so I "think" I'm OK. Sarge, having grabbed the door and frame further out from me has considerably more holding power and less stress on the door if it really does get away. The tradeoff is the strap hanging down in the window, but I think that could get fixed with a little Velcro.

Craig: I just went out and looked in my Stainless box and only found one. I bought this stuff by the pound, so I'll keep looking. If you do this with a flat or cut washer, make sure you size the screw so it sits somewhat flush in the washer. Has I not remembered I had these I would have done it the same way.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 12-03-2007, 04:36 AM   #10

Thanks guys. I did mine yesterday afternoon. Worked out great! I used an old seat belt, cut it to 19" and cut ends at an angle. There is no stretch to it. Food for thought: You can pick one up at a wrecking yard (Pick Your Part) in various colors.

Thanks again for the good instructions.

Larry
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:01 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
JFB: Jeff pretty much nailed it. Several times in my travels I have pulled into a rest stop to stretch and water the dog, only to almost have the door ripped from my hand by a surprise gust of wind. And I am REAL careful. The wife on the other hand forgets sometimes! I figure the strap may save a really ugly arguement down the road!! (Worth it's weight and time in gold).

Hey, another great idea Larry! How wide did your strap turn out to be? I guess by using the seatbelt you would have a greater variety of colors. Another thought for getting the stainless steel hardware, someone mentioned going to West Marine, a boat shop. That would probably be the hot ticket as almost all marine hardware is stainless.

So far so good on the straps effectivness. I haven't been in any real gusty places since I put it on, but I have really liked the peace of mind of not worrying anymore when the doors is open and a breeze comes up. Before I would carefully watch the door out of the corner of my eye and jump up if it got swaying back and forth. Now I can pretty much leave it open knowing that I have something to back up the built in door stop.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:08 PM   #12

I found the screws at Home Depot.

They're #6x1/2". Flathead. You can find them in the little plastic bags made by Crown Bolt. SKU#: 30699-35231. I suspect the washers will be #10 just so the screw seats flush.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 06-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well after one and a half years, I finally performed this mod. Thanks Sarge & Jeff for the info!

The only thing I did a little different was to dab a little black paint on the screw heads. That way they blend in a little better with the black door frame and black strap.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote