Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Door striker bolts -

Its been quite a while since this was posted, and since we have a new looking forum site now and also many new members, I felt it is time to renew this offer to our old and new irv2 friends.

I was tired of tearing my shirts and cutting my arms on the original door striker bolt upon entering or leaving the coach. Here is a picture of the original bolt and the new one I designed, and now make.

I borrowed this picture from Oemy's site (AKA Dale Olson)(http://www.oemys-performance.com/)

DIY Engineering Projects

Door Striker

I make them -- and Oemy distributes them. Cost to you folks is ---FREE .

Oemy just asks for a small contribution to cover shipping them out.

What he needs from you folks is input on the size of your present door stricker bolt. That's easy to do-- Mark around the big washer lightly with a pencil -- get a 5/8" socket on a 1/2" ratchet and remove your present striker bolt--- Then---

1- Measure the total length of the bolt (in inches please) to the nearest 1/32".

2- Measure the length of the thread (again to the nearest 1/32") --- That's all there is to it---.

Re-install the original stricker bolt -- send/give/call Oemy with the two sizes, asked for above, and you'll get a new one in the mail--- (please give him the year and model of your rig-- for a data base). We are finding that there are many different sizes--and some diesel pushers have extra long ones. You can use the original thick washer-- if you can get it off the original striker. Some manufactures have heated the large washer up and then slipped it over the bolt making it almost impossible to remove. Some have a small "O" ring holding it on. Neither of these methods is necessary, or required for the new bolt. Oemy will send you some washers or you can go to Lowes/Home Depot, etc and get two large 3/8" washers to use in place of the original washer.

I am now supplying Oemy with four different sizes of these bolts. The new bolt is installed with a 7/16" open end wrench. My threads and bolt diameters are the same standard size as the original striker bolt.

I am spray painting them now (they are made from steel) but if we have a member who is in the plating business maybe he/she would offer to plate future ones ----.

Yes, I have considered Stainless steel but new expensive tooling and machinery would be required and now they are FREE and work very well !!! We had someone a while ago call a RV manufacture and they wanted about $50 to send you a original replacement-- and that one will hurt you too!!

Last summer while in Maine at a campground (Cindy and I Workamp), I cooked some lobsters for an eldery couple (in their mid-80's). They had bought a new "Born Free" Class C (recently downgraded from a diesel pusher), with a side entrance door. When they didn't come down to pick up their lobsters, I jumped on the golf cart and carried the lobsters up to their site. When the lady reached down to me to get the lobsters I saw that ugly stricker bolt sticking way out-- I asked her if it had ever "bit" her-- she pulled up her sleeve and showed me a big red "Ouch-- scar" on her right arm. He said "We're both on Coumadin". I told them to eat their lobsters and I'll be there first thing in the morning --(I carry a supply of them with me). I installed one of my bolts and she came down the steps, looked it over good, and said, with a big smile on her face "It doesn't even have any sharp edges". I loved it-- It made all my work on these things worthwhile.

I've noticed on some newer rigs the manufactures have changed their door hardware-- for the better. Good for them.

Some folks will ask why is the original shoulder (the hex head) there? Other than to hurt people, I can only surmise--

1- To tighten it on to the door frame.

2- To prevent it from opening in the event of an impact/crash situtation. My feeling on this issue is if I am in a bad enough crash to cause the door frame to buckle -- I want the darn thing (the door) to open so that we can get out!! I don't cherish climbing out windows in an emergency.

With all that said, Let Oemy know if you need one,

Good luck,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:05 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
You don't have to wait for Max to send me the new sizes as I have some of the standard ones here at the shop. I carry a few with me and have mailed some out while on the road.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #3

These are first class and work as stated. But Max and Oemy are upstanding people that care. So if you think this offer is to good to be true IT"S NOT.
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:19 AM   #4
paz

Got my door strike a few months ago when I ordered some fuel filters from Oemy. I finally got around to installing it the other day. I don't know why I waited so long. It works great - no more snagged sleeves!

Thanks to Max for going to all the work to make the door strikes and to Oemy for distributing them.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #5

I too can vouch that it's for real....Max is a great guy to do this gratis...
looks and works GREAT!!!
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:36 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
footdoc...
how do you do the moving bug thing?
chemist guys...
does anyone know if xylene reduces the surface tension when added to fuel as does acetone?
i got my door bolt from oemy also. thanks max and oemy.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:16 AM   #7

just ordered my door bolts/pins from oemy. just want to thank you both max and oemy for taking the time to do this. i hope i can return a favor in the future. dw is the one thats really going to like them as she has ripped shorts and almost tumbled out the door because of those dang bolts (boy that might not be a pretty sight) jim.
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:26 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
1- To tighten it on to the door frame.

2- To prevent it from opening in the event of an impact/crash situtation. My feeling on this issue is if I am in a bad enough crash to cause the door frame to buckle -- I want the darn thing (the door) to open so that we can get out!! I don't cherish climbing out windows in an emergency.

Max H...

#3- Maybe to keep someone using a pry-bar from easily prying the door open.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good point Bob-- Never thought of that.

Couldn't they just as well throw a brick, or use a pry bar on a window to get in---- ?,
Old 03-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[quote=DAN L;481812]footdoc...
how do you do the moving bug thing?

DAN L, better be careful of footdocs bug, I have sprayed that dude with RAID several times in the past, and it is still alive and well!

Dieselclacker
Old 03-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
The bug picture is nothing more than an animated gif file.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #12

i recieved my new striker bolts friday. thanks again max and oemy! will send a check on monday. hope it will help defray the cost! jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote