Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #29

Gocoffeer, the reason I am considering a fix is for saleability or trade-in value. Our worst window is in the bathroom and it is just like some frosted bath windows, so no biggie. But if/when the day comes to part with this RV, those frosted windows will be very visible.

okgc, what is special about your single-pane windows compared to the older ones? This is our first RV with DP windows. We had condensation on the SP windows in cold weather, but the worst of icing build-up was on the metal frames. Don't do all that much below freezing camping tho.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2012, 02:25 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
The best dual pane windows have an inert gas like argon inside. Hard to do on the home workbench. Time will tell how well the home fixes work, but kudos for the effort. I am honestly considering replacing mine with single pane windows. Would I really lose that much in insulation or sound abatement?
on my moho, the passenger side fixed window that i must look through to see anything in the side mirror was badly fogged, causing me much grief.
a couple of days before leaving on a planned 2k mile trip my dw and i decided that we must fix this.
i read a report on this forum about removing the inside pane and decided to do that.
i taped a large garbage bag around the bottom of the window.
i taped the whole inside pane with duct tape and used an automatic center punch in the aft lower corner. the whole pane shattered and most of it came out in one piece stuck to the tape.
the hardest part of the job was getting the small jagged pieces of glass out of the window seal. my dw did most of that.
we used black silicon sealant to fill in the seal to window frame area.
after the sealant set up, bar tenders friend, vinegar, and windex cleaned the window nicely. now i can see the mirror nicely.
the outside window is not tinted on my moho. we do not notice any difference in noise or condensation.
we did this mod in may of 2010. there should be a post with pictures in the archives of this forum.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #31

Two2: I certainly do not find it odd that the average RVer would upkeep the MH to the highest standards....and we as owners are always comparing our machines to others. Keeping the ugly fogging windows looking crystal clear is just part of our pride. In my case... I bought this older model to beat on it a bit. I am using it as a cycling platform and really have converted the interior to less the standard carpet home it used to be to a more rugged, easy to upkeep place where my gal and I can rest and relax after riding. I store two recumbent trikes inside the living room and have rearranged the furnishings to accommodate. The fogged rear windows do bother me but not enough to create a catalyst for action. I fixed almost everything needed to get the RV up to decent usability...the front fogged windows are no longer ailing my driving and I am smiling that I got away so cheap on the repair. I have a few more tweeks to get the RV set up to use in colder climates where water closet freezing is not an issue and I am switching to maintenance node only.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #32

Thanks everyone!! I'm going to give it a try next week.
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #33

Go slow....and clean everything 5 times. I wore latex gloves that I bought at Harborfreight during reassembly as to not place finger prints in the interior of my glue up. Have all your clamps or working material laid out and on hand during glue up so that you do not have to get stressed at that moment. I used a weighted system and placed weights on the glass and squished them together until the RTV setup.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #34

Thanks for the additional tips. I'll be waiting for our Florida cold spell to pass before I start.
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal, window