Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2021, 01:01 PM   #1

Down Sizing, Could This Be the New Trend ?

With gas prices going up again, cost of living going thru the roof and the end of gas engines in the next 10-20 years could this be the start of the end of large RV's..

I myself just down sized from a 33 foot class A, 2 slideouts at 8 1/2 foot wide that got 7 mpg on its best day [flat towing 6 mpg], to a 25 foot class B+ that gets almost 10 mpg and no need to flat tow a car.

I also wanted something to drive into small towns and park and go sight seeing without wasting money on a campground and camp where ever I want.

I am also noticing this is the new trend, I know many that are about to do the same thing, many of my neighbors all wanted to see my new B+ cause they to want to do the same.
[ murphy beds are also changing small RV's ]

If your not a fulltimer that what is the need of a large RV, [ over 30 foot ].

I know the trend in the past was bigger is better and I to fell into that mind set but now broke free and found a new camping/traveling experience with smaller better mpg RV's..

What is your take on this and have you downsized or planning soon.

Smaller is Better..
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2021, 01:20 PM   #2

I think Newmar is sold out until 2022 and actually have a wait list. I think the trend may be occurring because lots of people are hitting the road due to last year being so tumultuous.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
I think Newmar is sold out until 2022 and actually have a wait list. I think the trend may be occurring because lots of people are hitting the road due to last year being so tumultuous.
I am mostly talking about today and going forward, I think last year with the covid lock downs a lot of people were impulse buying any RV small or large.

However I think many that bought large that never owned a RV till the lock down will be selling them in the coming years due to high gas prices.

I have noticed a trend on Youtube RVers and long term RVers are looking to down size in the coming months and years, there has also been more RV makers with new smaller RV's being built.

Murphy beds are changing the layout of small RV's now, you can have a walk around queen bed, large dry bath and nice size kitchen, couch or theater chairs, 1 small slide out and good storage all under 26 foot now days..
Old 03-20-2021, 02:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
With gas prices going up again, cost of living going thru the roof and the end of gas engines in the next 10-20 years could this be the start of the end of large RV's..

I’ll abstain from discussing the demise of the internal combustion engine.

I myself just down sized from a 33 foot class A, 2 slideouts at 8 1/2 foot wide that got 7 mpg on its best day [flat towing 6 mpg], to a 25 foot class B+ that gets almost 10 mpg and no need to flat tow a car.

This can be an expensive hobby. 6mpg or 10mph shouldn’t be a concern. Without a toad you’ll have to break camp every time you leave.

I also wanted something to drive into small towns and park and go sight seeing without wasting money on a campground and camp where ever I want.

It is possible to boondock in a 45’ DP, and 110 gallons of fresh water and 42 gallons of propane make that very easy.

I am also noticing this is the new trend, I know many that are about to do the same thing, many of my neighbors all wanted to see my new B+ cause they to want to do the same.

Individual circumstances change all the time. That doesn’t necessarily make it a trend. It could just be something that you are focusing on.

Comfort, for one. Even if you’re only on the road for a few weeks at a time, the space and conveniences are a benefit. There also no comparison to the ride in a DP.

I know the trend in the past was bigger is better and I to fell into that mind set but now broke free and found a new camping/traveling experience with smaller better mpg RV's..

Change can be good. If it suits your needs, there’s no need to justify the decision. Enjoy the new freedom.

We’re not planning to downsize, but we have discussed adding a vintage trailer to our RV lifestyle for local trips of a few days or some vintage rallies. .

Smaller is Better..
For some this may be true. What suits an individual’s needs is what is most important. Size is only one factor.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
For some this may be true. What suits an individual’s needs is what is most important. Size is only one factor.
Yes to each their own but what my thread is mostly about is those growing number of RVers that are down sizing.

Its not that I have done this but also have noticed the trend is starting to take hold..

If you are a fulltimer or a snow birder for the winter months than bigger is better but for many weekend warriors and short time RVers smaller is catching on..
Old 03-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #6

Quoted by Kid Gloves>> This can be an expensive hobby. 6mpg or 10mph shouldn’t be a concern. Without a toad you’ll have to break camp every time you leave.<<

Going small means you don't need a campground only to unhook the toad and go into town or sight seeing, it means your RV is now the car that goes every where and the RV is always there.

10 mpg vs 6 mpg is a big savings also a smaller RV with no slide or 1 small slide, 1 a/c and such does cost less to maintain..

Small class B+/C also means you can bring the boat and launch the boat with out double towing..

There is plus/minus advantages in both large or small but I think the plus advantages in small out weights the large. [not full timing]
Old 03-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #7

Quote:

Smaller is Better..
No, I noticed just the opposite. Lagre Class As and 5th wheels all over the place.
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:18 PM   #8

Quote:

Smaller is Better..
6 - 10 mpg/gal would not be a deciding factor for me. How much more did you have to pay for your new RV? You probably won't recoup that in gas savings.

10,000 10,000 miles
10 6 mpg
1,000 1,667
4 4 cost
4,000 6,667 total
2,667 difference.
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS56 View Post
No, I noticed just the opposite. Lagre Class As and 5th wheels all over the place.
Yes they are but what I forgot to mention is the trend going forward.

Boondocking, van life, more in town traveling vs hanging at a campground, back roads, off road, etc is the new growing trend in RVing and its been growing in the past few years..

So yes the big RV's are going to be around for a while but the small ones are growing in populator with this new world we are entering into..

The covid lock downs did cause a surge in large RV sales but that surge will be slowing down when gas gets back to or above $4 a gal thanks to you know who..
Old 03-20-2021, 03:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS56 View Post
6 - 10 mpg/gal would not be a deciding factor for me. How much more did you have to pay for your new RV? You probably won't recoup that in gas savings.

10,000 10,000 miles
10 6 mpg
1,000 1,667
4 4 cost
4,000 6,667 total
2,667 difference.
$30,000 for a brand new 2021 25 foot class B+ with a murphy bed, 5 year Ford power train warranty and 2 year warranty on RV.. [ $30,000 out of my pocket cost ]

[ sold my class A for $46,000, 13 years old so I suspected a lot of replacements in the coming years ]

Also more fun traveling into small/large towns and back roads, no toad needed and no chasing a camp site when they are all full..

And I can sell my 2018 Tacoma for around $18-$20,000 since I don't really need it now, it was just my toad for my class A.
[ less insurance as well ]

So I will get my money back very quickly..
Old 03-20-2021, 03:36 PM   #11

Quote:

Smaller is Better..
My neighbor has a unit substantially similar to yours that he’s going to sell for something larger, and losing even 3’ off my floor plan would be problematic with the way it is utilized. I personally wouldn’t want one that needs a Murphy bed.
GOLDandGREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDandGREY View Post
My neighbor has a unit substantially similar to yours that he’s going to sell for something larger, and losing even 3’ off my floor plan would be problematic with the way it is utilized. I personally wouldn’t want one that needs a Murphy bed.
With kids yes you need the bunks so your 33 footer is your best choice for now, but when the kids grow up and and its just you and the spouse you wont need all that RV unless you live in it full time or just want something big..

Been there done that, 20 plus year RVing..
Old 03-20-2021, 03:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Quoted by Kid Gloves>> This can be an expensive hobby. 6mpg or 10mph shouldn’t be a concern. Without a toad you’ll have to break camp every time you leave.<<

Going small means you don't need a campground only to unhook the toad and go into town or sight seeing, it means your RV is now the car that goes every where and the RV is always there.

By “Breaking Camp” I’m talking about, retracting the jacks and slides, bringing in the awnings, packing up the folding table and BBQ and stowing loose items inside the coach for travel. Then you’ll have to set it all up again after each and every trip.

10 mpg vs 6 mpg is a big savings also a smaller RV with no slide or 1 small slide, 1 a/c and such does cost less to maintain..

Small class B+/C also means you can bring the boat and launch the boat with out double towing..

There is plus/minus advantages in both large or small but I think the plus advantages in small out weights the large. [not full timing]

We aren’t full timers, and this is only our choice, we wouldn’t want to be in anything smaller, 37’, for more than a few days to a week. At the same time, I know a guy who full times in a Sprinter based RV, maybe 24’?
Again, the advantages of small may outweigh the large, for some, but not all. It’s a personal choice, based on individual needs, not perceived trends. I try not to follow trends, they’re too trendy.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:58 PM   #14

4, 5, and $600,000 coaches are so in demand you can't buy one.....cant for the life of me believe people that can afford these coaches care about the price of fuel. I think you're also drinking the coolaid if you think gas and diesel won't be around in 20 years. Maybe these Progressives have a few thinking we're going to power the world with windmills, batteries, and solar panels......but not me! And not many others, Jack.
Bagelboy is offline   Reply With Quote