Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2018, 10:23 AM   #1

Drain water heater between uses?

Any pros and cons, on draining water heater between use? Like if only using it for a few days every 1or 2 months?
Or if not using for 6 months?
Also, draining the water tank?
old pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We only drain ours maybe once a year to help clean out any sediment. We do not winterize.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #3

If I knew mine was going to set for 6+ months, I’d drain everything and start over with fresh water.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club

Is your RV in an area where it is subject to freezing temperatures? If so, I'd drain it and winterize the whole system. Leaving fresh water in the system for months at a time just means the water won't be too fresh when you return to use it. A quick sanitation of the system using bleach would be in order.

I've not seen any studies as to the effects of leaving the tank full compared to empty for a few months.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #5

I drain the hot water tank at the end of the season , as part of winterizing . The fresh water tank gets drained at the end of each trip on the drive home.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Probably overkill, I drain the heater and tank if it is going to sit a month or more. Our water here in Southern California is very hard.
Every time I pull the anode, lots of stuff comes out. A lot of build up on the heater rod as well.
I figure it can't hurt, and I am retired.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:32 PM   #7

I've always just drained it when it was time to winterize the system. I had our Sunline trailer for 10 years and never had a hot water heater problem. Did the same with the Winnebago Minnie for 5 years and I just winterized the Bay Star a few days ago.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:38 PM   #8

Depends on the manufacturer somewhat. Suburban suggests anytime it is not in use to drain it. Improves the life of the anode rod, helps to maintain the air bubble at the top of the tank reducing the potential for dripping through the relief valve.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:38 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I drain mine if it is going to sit more than a couple weeks. It keeps the anode rod from deteriorating but also keeps the water in the heater from going foul. It will smell like rotten eggs if it goes sour.

It is especially important if your water, (or the water you last filled with), came from a well rather than a municipal source that treats and chlorinates the water.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:51 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Depends on the manufacturer somewhat. Suburban suggests anytime it is not in use to drain it. Improves the life of the anode rod, helps to maintain the air bubble at the top of the tank reducing the potential for dripping through the relief valve.
Maintaining the air pocket at the top of the tank to allow for expansion is simple. Just open the lever on the pressure relief valve with the pump and/or city water off. Water will dribble out of the tank down to the level of the relief valve, air will replace the water. Allow the lever to snap closed, displacing any mineral deposits on the valve seat. Your expansion air pocket is now restored.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:19 PM   #11

If you used your home for a couple days every 1-2 months, would you drain the water heater?
Old 10-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #12

The only time I drain is when temperatures are forecast to be in the 20's or below. This works out about right because it tends to happen every year or two. I never drain it just because of time sitting unused. Even with the long interval (so far in the 15+ years we've had the motorhome) there's always very little, if any, sediment or scale build up. Have never had any smell.

I guess we're just lucky that the campgrounds we frequent have good water.

Edited to add: We''ve never used any kind of water filter.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #13

Fill in the spring, drain in the fall. All part of the winterizing cycle. That seems sufficient.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:43 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Once a year is plenty!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater