Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2018, 12:56 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
When we bought our current coach last year, I had noticed the previous owner had removed the Whole Coach water filter. I figured it was cause they didn't winterize it properly and didn't want to pay to replace it. So I started looking into water filters to replace it since our last coach had a filter under the sink. Well I found quite a few but the ones that would actually filter out the nasty stuff weren't cheap. Well we were on a trip and wanted something to drink so we shopping at Walmart and bought a 36 pack of water bottles for $3.24. It got me thinking. The filter set up I wanted was $225 at Camping World plus the cost of the filter each year. I can buy A LOT of 36 pack water bottles for the price of that filter.

I still don't have a coach filter. Probably won't be getting one either.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnuts View Post
Good stuff... when I say I'm getting worried about plastic I'm talking about drinking from plastic. ...some say causes dementia and other problems over time....

Getting older and starting to think about the effects. ..probably to late to worry about it as we have been drinking out of plastic most of our lives. ..

https://www.sciencealert.com/factors...imers-dementia

If you listen to 'some' about something you won't eat/drink anything.

If plastic does cause it ... probably too late for most.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
I've been drinking from plastic for years and have had lots of problems. Aging, weight gain, laziness, loss of intelligence (at one point, I actually knew everything - barely anything these days), divorce, and even the onset of ugliness - a myriad of other things.
You're also shrinking!
Old 06-15-2018, 10:51 PM   #18

We are on the move a lot and don't make reservations so we never know when we will be dry camping. We always carry full fresh water in the tank that we filter with a stainless steel screen, followed by a 5 micron sediment filter and finally a 5 micron or lower carbon block filter. We use this water for everything except cooking and drinking.
We are kinda coffee snobs so we buy whole beans at Sprouts, grind them ourselves and brew them with a Mr. Coffee when lazy and a French Press when not so lazy. We always want the coffee to get its taste from the beans and not the water so we buy water from the bulk dispensers in almost every Walmart in the country. The water is usually branded Puro or Culligan and is filtered and sanitized much better than we can afford to do including reverse osmosis and ultraviolet.
The water costs 37 cents/gal. unless the store hasn't programmed their POS software from the old price of 27 cents/gal.
We use 4 or 5 sturdy plastic one gal. bottles which used to contain Lipton Green Tea and a 2 gal. dispenser bottle with a spigot for the countertop. We use a couple of the 16.9 oz. plastic tea bottles to refill from the countertop bottle for cold water from the reefer.
If necessary I wouldn't hesitate to drink water from the tank.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:54 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
all water goes through a 1 micron pre filter at the hose connection in the wet bay.
then
all drinking water gets run through the reverse osmosis system,

ice maker, coffee and the like.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:24 AM   #20

Like some others here, we have the little blue filter outside, then a brita jug with it's filter in the fridge.
partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:29 AM   #21

After awhile the water in the plastic starts tasting kind of funky.
I personally try my best to avoid drinking water from plastic for that reason.
Did you know canned Soda/ Pop also tastes wayyyy better than plastic contained soda/ pop? Idk if its just me, but I noticed that too.
IGotProblems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:31 AM   #22

We filter shore water using a Camco water filter Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0196.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	207346
Zman1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
1 micron sediment filter at the shore water connection (RV-SED1). And Everpure ADC charcoal filter under gallery sink for drinking water & icemaker. Normally get them from rvwaterfilterstore.com. They have pretty much anything you would need for your RV water system, at very reasonable prices and quick shipping.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #24

We carry a Berkey water filter system, sits on the countertop. Wouldn't be without it.

https://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.co...oaAnE2EALw_wcB

Water going to on board tank is filtered through standard onboard charcoal filter. City water connection is also. Drinking water is exclusively through the Berkey.
BZTS561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:40 AM   #25

Whatever comes out of the tap/faucet or roadside spring goes into our water tank and that is what we drink. 12 years motorhoming in well over 30 countries including some with very suspect local water supplies (USA apparently among others) and we have never had a health problem remotely attributable to the water - AND we have saved thousands of dollars buying in expensive bottles what we get free from the tap.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
we have never had a health problem remotely attributable to the water - AND we have saved thousands of dollars buying in expensive bottles what we get free from the tap.
... that we know about and maybe we will be spending that savings on medical bills in the future.[/SIZE]
Old 06-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman1403 View Post
We filter shore water using a Camco water filter Attachment 207346
I used to use those before I read an article making what I thought was a very valid point, i.e.-since the charcoal inside the blue tube is "granulated"(in big chunks with space between each chunk and the walls of the tube) the water will flow through the path of least resistance around the charcoal chunks and therefore avoid being filtered.
I took a well-used Camco blue filter and sawed it in half. All the charcoal "granules" showed no signs of having filtered anything out of the water whereas a sediment filter with similar usage showed evidence of having filtered significant contaminants. I have used a charcoal block filter behind a sediment filter ever since. No path of least resistance for the water to get around the filtering medium.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #28

Quote:
maybe we will be spending that savings on medical bills in the future.
Err, No. Australia has universal free medical care

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ter-study-says

Quote:
In one bottle of Nestlé Pure Life, concentrations were as high as 10,000 plastic pieces per litre of water. Of the 259 bottles tested, only 17 were free of plastics, according to the study.

Scientists based at the State University of New York in Fredonia were commissioned by journalism project Orb Media to analyse the bottled water.

The scientists wrote they had “found roughly twice as many plastic particles within bottled water” compared with their previous study of tap water, .

Tags
water